6 Months Of Bulletproof Coffee: A Report

jjmjjm
edited July 2013 in Bulletproof Coffee

I've been doing BP Coffee with Dave's original beans, Dave's MCT oil, and Kerrygold butter for 6 months now. 

I add about 80-100g of butter and a tea spoon of MCT oil.

Here is my report:

On some days it worked magic and I truly did experience enhanced concentration and powerful focus.

However, sadly, these good days were the absolute exception, about 1.5 such days every 2 weeks. :(

Usually my results would be like this:

I would feel nauseous. In fact very sick to my stomach, especially when I add the MCT oil. I feel like puking in my throat or just have stomach cramps.

I think the coffee is bitter and the whole mixture tastes disgusting, I would force myself to drink it. Although there are a few days when I thought it tasted all right, not sure what was different as I always follow the same recipe. 

Besides the BP coffee I eat paleo/bulletproof diet. I eat about 1 stick of butter every day and mostly low-carb with some carb refeeds here and there. I don't want to lose weight. 

Positive aspects of the coffee: It's a really handy breakfast. I save time not having to cook, I love this and this is why I continue to drink the BP coffee although having rather negative results with it. Also it would keep me full for the entire morning with no cravings for food, another positive.

Has anyone experienced the same results? And what's the reason the coffee is not working and tastes so disgusting?

Thanks.

Comments

• PeterFragonPeterFragon DJ Uplift
    edited July 2013

I would add some coconut oil along with whatever sweetener you use to the coffee to help with the taste.. I do this because I also think it tastes like shit without it... As a big coffee drinker who orders beans from all over the world, I do not think Dave's beans are all that tasty either; very bitter coffee..

I get upset stomach sometimes from the fatty oils as well, but I just grin and bare that shit... as for the cognitive affects I don't really pay attention as that is not why I use BPC...

BUTTER TEA

• Ive had the nausea and stomach issues - it usually means I'm not tolerating MCT oil - maybe cycle off that for a while and just use Coconut Oil instead.  The performance issues - maybe they are from adrenal fatigue?  Are you refeeding enough with carbs?  Maybe cycle with decaf for a month?  Might not be a bad idea to just ditch the coffee for a few weeks entirely.

• ^ He makes some good points.. I also drink a lot of Green Tea with Butter.. Decaf tea is a better choice than decaf coffee as well...

BUTTER TEA

• i don't think anyone here will be able to tell you why it tastes disgusting to you. do you like coffee? do you think adding stevia would make it more palatable?

i get the same nauseated feeling. try adding less butter to see if that makes a difference. if drinking bpc is so unpleasant, though, just go without. i fast without bpc most days because i don't have time to sit still for an hour waiting for my drink to digest.

• edited July 2013

Since I was a moron and posted the same thing twice - instead of deleting this, I'll try to say something useful:

The more I think about this thread, the more I think that taking a time-out is the way to go.  I think the greatest move biohackers have when things aren't working is to stop everything temporarily.  It is what separates us from the animals.  Take a step back, look at your data - think about all the things you are doing to improve yourself and see if you can't zero in on what is going on with BPC - there are only 3 ingredients so it shouldn't be too complicated.  If BPC is making you feel like crap, and you can't determine why, then it has to also be making it harder to know what else isn't working as well.

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Have you tried lowering the butter and swapping MCT for coconut oil, or you use the same thing every day/time?

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• Wow, powerful community. Thanks to everyone who replied. 

I don't use any sweetener. 

I like the taste of coffee without butter, it's not the best but it's ok. Yes, I probably put too much butter and that's why it's disgusting. But I need calories more than I need a tasty drink. If I fast without a butter breakfast I lose too much weight, I need tons of calories so must take something in the morning.

I have been cycling off MCT oil a lot, leaving it out sometimes eliminates nausea to some degree, sometimes entirely, sometimes not at all, (See the conflicting data, it's so random). I have wondered whether my MCT oil has gone bad. Since I use such small amounts my bottle hast last for a long time. I keep it in the fridge but also make sure it's closed tight, so no moisture should enter the bottle. It looks fine and smells like absolutely nothing.

I also paid attention to what I would eat for dinner the day before and when I eat dinner, but it had no significance on feeling sick. 

What's the thinking behind taking a break from BPC, just to see if I feel sick without it? I have skipped several days and I have no problems with nausea if I'm not on the coffee. 

My main concern here is to try to make BPC coffee work and profit from all the claims that are promised. Unfortunately, I don't see how.

• If you want the cognitive benefits Less butter and more MCT oil.... 

BUTTER TEA

•  

Wow, powerful community. Thanks to everyone who replied. 

I don't use any sweetener. 

I like the taste of coffee without butter, it's not the best but it's ok. Yes, I probably put too much butter and that's why it's disgusting. But I need calories more than I need a tasty drink. If I fast without a butter breakfast I lose too much weight, I need tons of calories so must take something in the morning.

I have been cycling off MCT oil a lot, leaving it out sometimes eliminates nausea to some degree, sometimes entirely, sometimes not at all, (See the conflicting data, it's so random). I have wondered whether my MCT oil has gone bad. Since I use such small amounts my bottle hast last for a long time. I keep it in the fridge but also make sure it's closed tight, so no moisture should enter the bottle. It looks fine and smells like absolutely nothing.

I also paid attention to what I would eat for dinner the day before and when I eat dinner, but it had no significance on feeling sick. 

What's the thinking behind taking a break from BPC, just to see if I feel sick without it? I have skipped several days and I have no problems with nausea if I'm not on the coffee. 

My main concern here is to try to make BPC coffee work and profit from all the claims that are promised. Unfortunately, I don't see how.

Jim,

Bottom line here is either you're going to like BPC or you aren't. It sounds like you've been playing with the concoction trying to find a pleasing result. I'd bet money your nausea problem is the MCT - even in small doses. Some people have severe reactions to MCT, others tolerate it quite well, so the small amount you're using may be plenty to give you a negative reaction. Also, in terms of the taste, are you blending up the mixture well? I'm assuming after six months you are, but I just have to ask because I know people who are just using a spoon to mix up the BPC and that doesn't work.

• I also have had this problem with the nausea. I too am not looking to lose any weight (in fact I would like to gain some weight.) I am only one month into the BPC breakfast. Some things I have tried to abate the nausea are coconut oil instead of MCT and have also tried coconut oil instead of the butter although I am not sure if this second aproach would work in the same way. The coconut oil and MCT seem to create the least nausea for me. The third thing I have tried is eating a bit with the coffee such as plain whole milk yogurt, or a soft boiled egg. This seems to reduce the length of the nausea at least though I understand that this brings me out of ketosis. I am wondering if I am eating a small breakfast with the BPC is it still worth it?

• jjm,

I totally understand what you are going through.  I tried BPC for a good couple of months.  It tasted fine to me (I added zylitol to make it taste better).  The real problem I had was that I saw no benefit from BPC in the morning and IF'ing - especially cognitive benefits.  Just not there for me and everyone is different.  So I'm back to just my 2 cups of black coffee in the morning and breakfast.

The biggest thing I have gotten from this website is that it is truly a n=1 experiment.  What works for you may not work for me.  It's a journey.  Find what works for you and go with it.  Oh, and I've stopped putting a lot of crap in my body and try to eat only the "green" foods.  I sleep and feel much better because of this.

• NowayoutNowayout
    edited July 2013

I would look at the variables, type of bean, brewing method and the quantity of what you are adding.

Different beans have varying levels of bitterness.  Some are very smooth and others quite strong and bitter. I like the smooth varieties. Get some beans locally and experiment.

How are you brewing your coffee? Different methods yield quite different results, particularly bitterness.  Too hot of water will create bitterness as well as the type of filter used. Dwell time and overall brew time will also change the taste and bitterness.

I think that 100 grams of butter is too much for good taste.  Here is my exact recipe:

600 ml coffee (Chemex brew - 14:1 ratio = 45 grams ground coffee)

45 grams Kerry Gold salted butter (I like the taste of salted butter and I don't need to stock both kinds)

15 grams cacao butter

23 grams MCT oil (by weight - the cap almost full)

30 ml Kalona Super Natural organic whipping cream

Few drops of pure vanilla extract

Truvia to sweeten taste (2 - 3 small packets)

I shake it vigorously in a stainless steel hydroflask and allow the butter and cacao to melt.  It tastes a little better in a blender (more frothy) but I rarely do this extra step.

This tastes amazing! No bitterness, no stomach ache.  I typically do a 19/5 IF regimen and this is all I have in the morning and am hunger free until 6pm or so.  I don't drink it all at once, it usually lasts 1-3 hours, I don't gulp it down.  

Remember, if you're arguing on the internet, you've already lost!

• Working on liver support solved digestion and nausea issues for me. I would not personally be seeing inch loss without exercise, tho.

• InfinusssInfinusss Relax
    edited August 2013

I've been doing BP Coffee with Dave's original beans, Dave's MCT oil, and Kerrygold butter for 6 months now. 

I add about 80-100g of butter and a tea spoon of MCT oil.

Here is my report:

On some days it worked magic and I truly did experience enhanced concentration and powerful focus.

However, sadly, these good days were the absolute exception, about 1.5 such days every 2 weeks. :(

Usually my results would be like this:

I would feel nauseous. In fact very sick to my stomach, especially when I add the MCT oil. I feel like puking in my throat or just have stomach cramps.

I think the coffee is bitter and the whole mixture tastes disgusting, I would force myself to drink it. Although there are a few days when I thought it tasted all right, not sure what was different as I always follow the same recipe. 

Besides the BP coffee I eat paleo/bulletproof diet. I eat about 1 stick of butter every day and mostly low-carb with some carb refeeds here and there. I don't want to lose weight. 

Positive aspects of the coffee: It's a really handy breakfast. I save time not having to cook, I love this and this is why I continue to drink the BP coffee although having rather negative results with it. Also it would keep me full for the entire morning with no cravings for food, another positive.

Has anyone experienced the same results? And what's the reason the coffee is not working and tastes so disgusting?

Thanks.

Try and go a little more in-depth with your hack, dude. If you are getting an upset stomach, let's list out the variables:

• Too low coffee:water ratio, causing strong coffee.
    • Grinding the beans too fine, causing bitter coffee or coffee that's too strong.
    • Butter doesn't agree with you.
    • MCT oil doesn't agree with you.
    • Butter + MCT amounts need to be lessened.

Try altering one variable at a time:

1. First, drink the coffee black. Does it give you a stomach ache?
    2. Then try the coffee with just 2tbs butter for a few days. Still good? Awesome. If not, maybe you don't do well with butter and try 100% grass-fed ghee.
    3. Now add in 1tbs MCT. Figure out where along the line you are getting sick.

Once you figure out what is making you sick, take a look at your gut. If your body can't handle even 2tbs ghee and 1 or 2tbs MCT, maybe you need to heal your gut. There are some pretty good threads here on the forum regarding ramping up your stomach acid with Betain HCL and healing the lining of your gut with copious amounts of L-glutamine. Check it out.

I hope to see you check back. I'm interested to see what you find.

Massachusetts Bulletproof Resources! (Local BP resources for food/vitamins, meditation, bio-hacking/tech-centers, etc.)

If you know of a local resource that I haven't listed, or have a warning for known local health scams or bad "BP" businesses, please PM me.

If it's a good resource, I'll add it to the master-list (I was inspired by suntoucher & Ron Swanson.)

• I would recommend that you try having it with betaine hcl, you could be not digesting fat too well, give it an honest go for few days and see if you experience any postive difference.