Nootropics

I'm surprised to see a lack of Nootropic discussions here - is everyone off on imminst instead? ;)

Dave - what's your nootropic stack look like?

Comments

• I agree...The subject of brain hacking has really peaked my interest, since discovering this blog.

I’ve been wanting to try the Aniracetam, but it is not in my budget, yet. I have actually had issues with falling asleep during the day, especially when driving, so I’ve been really tempted to try to get a prescription for Modafinil. I’m not sure how hard it would be to get that from my doctor and/or how safe it is. Also, would either one show up on an employment drug screen.

I’ll be watching to see what others are taking.

Cheers,

Skippy
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]BilliardsBiohacker.com - [/font][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Follow my biohacking projects and listen to my podcast, as I attempt to improve
    my competitve pool performance, brain function and overall health.[/font]
  • I can tell you with certainty that modafinil would show up on lab screen done for employment. It is considered a controlled substance, category IV in USA. It's current indications are for work-shift disorder, narcolepsy and for sleep apnea. Any doctor can make you a prescription for it, but the problem is that insurance will most likely not cover the high price if you don't fall on any of the above indications. This happens because the drug is very highly priced (almost $450 per month) and insurances have a herarchy of "best results, less priced" drugs that they believe a prescribing physician should consider before aiming at such a high priced drug. The physician would need to fill up a couple of documents informing the need for the drug, the specific diagnostic and it can be pretty risky in terms of ethical issues involved if you really don't need the drug because it's just to experiment. But you can always save the $$$ and simply get a prescription and pay for it cash with less problems.

Second, modafinil is not that good of a drug anyways (or nootropic). It basicly wakes you up a little, then it gets you crashed when it wears off. Aditionally you dont want to mix it with caffeine (bulletproof coffee) because it actually enhances the side effect profile of both substances (they both compete as substrates for the same liver enzyme that detoxes them in some way). It can give bad hedaches, increase blood pressure, and paradoxically it can even make you more sleepy. There is a reason why it's a controlled substance, so should never be advertised as great for everyone to try. In my opinion after trying it and after studying it's efficacy, it is not a nootropic and its risky because it has a side effect profile thats just not that healthy overall. If you really fall beneath the above indications, then it's good to try.

The racetams are better known to be nootropics and overall seem as safer alternatives. Just don't play with controlled substances just because dave said they are good in someway. It's not bulletproof and it's not healthy.
  • Thanks for the extra information clownfish. I wasn't really feeling strongly about trying the Modafinil. Though, I believe that I truly have suffered from those exact symptoms over the past several years. I used to struggle to stay awake, especially when driving for more than 20 miles. Even in the middle of the day. This was a bit dangerous, because I have a 35 mile commute to work. Also, my job requires me to change from 5a-5p shifts to 5p-5a many times throughout the year. This really screws with my sleep pattern. Earlier in 2011, I got about 300 5 hour energy drink bottle from my Father. I was drinking about one of those per day, just to get the energy I needed to be effective at work and at home. After about a year of that bad habit, I started getting acid reflux problems. A few months ago, I decided to quit them 100% and quit soda 100%. The stomach problems were drastically reduced. Then I discovered this blog and the Bulletproof diet. The stomach problems and sleepiness are now, none existent.

All that being said, I think my overall change to paleo and mostly bulletproof diet has had a dramatic improvement on my problems with sleepiness, due to the coffee and elimination of sugars in my diet.

Again, thanks for the input.

Cheers,

Skippy
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]BilliardsBiohacker.com - [/font][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Follow my biohacking projects and listen to my podcast, as I attempt to improve
  • Most are probably best off just following a bp diet, as it should optimize brain function considerably. Good food and good sleep is the best nootropic, period.

Nootropics behave erratically and inconsistently IMHO. The only thing with a boosting effect may be short-time modafinil or ritalin use when one needs to cram, but I believe this is not bulletproof by any stretch.
  • I have been using nootropics for a couple of years now. I have dialled in my diet and sleep, and then added in nootropics. Wow does it make a difference.

5HTP and L-Tyrosine make me feel happier for no reason all the time.

The Racetams like Aniracetam give me a large mental boost and more focus to do work.

Choline sources and enhancers such as Alpha GPC and Hyperzine A give me dreams and work with the racetams.

Vinpocetine increases the effect of coffee.
  • @ClownFish

Repeating a statement ("Modafinil is unhealthy") proves very little. If you want to make an argument, at least provide proper argumentation.
  • @Olav..."Argumentation"...I've never heard that one. I like it!
  • I believe Dave supplements and/or recommends Piracetam. There is also Longecity.org. I've gone there for years to get info on the latest and greatest of nootropics. Those guys there are legit and know more than your average doctor.

• This happens because the drug is very highly priced (almost $450 per month) and insurances have a herarchy of "best results, less priced" drugs that they believe a prescribing physician should consider before aiming at such a high priced drug.

Modafinil can be acquired quite easily over the internet for far cheaper. While you are correct that it is a scheduled drug, websites such as MyModafinil.net routinely ship Modafinil to US customers, and it is rarely caught in customs. Despite its legal status it is hardly a priority for law enforcement. I don't say this to encourage everyone reading to go get some, just to draw a comparison between how Modafinil and (somewhat similar) drugs such as Adderall are currently treated.

I can tell you with certainty that modafinil would show up on lab screen done for employment.

I would be very surprised if this was the case. Adding a drug to a screening is an expense, and very few labs even test for common psychadelics such as psylocybin.

Second, modafinil is not that good of a drug anyways (or nootropic). It basicly wakes you up a little, then it gets you crashed when it wears off.

This is just my subjective opinion, but I find Modafinil to be an extremely useful compound for productivity and motivation. It's a far safer way to get a boost then Adderall or Ritalin at least. I've never experienced a crash with Modafinil, while more traditional stimulants cause me to crash very hard.
  • I have yet to experiment with modafinil, but I have read many people have used it and enjoy some of the short term benefits. I have experimented with pramiracetam and noopept. I swear by the racetams. In conducting many at home experiments involving cognitive challenges I have proven (to myself if nothing else) that these nootropics definitely provide me with a mental edge....and a quantifiable one at that. I have also found that using brain entrainment along with nootropics is a REALLY powerful way to crank up your cognitive power for a short period of time.
    [font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Discover how to become limitless through cognitive and physical enhancement. Join the conversation at http://www.getlimitless.com[/font]

• I have also found that using brain entrainment along with nootropics is a REALLY powerful way to crank up your cognitive power for a short period of time.

Absolutely. Taking nootropics and sitting on the couch watching tv all day won't do much for you. Combining a nootropic regimen with exercise and mental stimulation is where the most significant results are noticed.