**top Scores** Inner Balance / Coherence

Comments

• hi mmejoanna, to insert a pic, try upload it to flickr or photobucket (or similar), then click the image function from the reply toolbar and insert the weblink url for the pic.

The metric I'm paying most attention to is: level 4 session time x high coherence percentage. After the session, I just flick back through the session and see if I "dipped" at any point. If it is "all clear" (above 6, level 4) for the session (except for the start), I consider it a good session.

One big advantage of the IB, appears to be that you can see your hrv pattern and power output in real time (wherever you are doing a session), and you can adjust your breathing to change the pattern or power output, and see the change in real time (no matter where you are or what you are doing). I'm finding it a very quick way to improve, especially at level 4 where keeping above 6 constantly is a good challenge.

...had another two sessions at level 4 80 last night as well...must be the start of the weekend  :-P

9527538472_744d873070_m.jpg9527539570_9412850cc5_m.jpg

Reigning Former Inner Balance "Mad Monk" Champion... :-P 

• My old Flickr acct should still be alive. I'll try and log in this weekend, thanks! (My first choice would be that this site got it's photo uploader to behave, but, alas!)

Hm... it sounds like the emwave desktop has a lot of the same things you're talking about for IB... It definitely has a realtime HRV pattern. It has something called the "Power Spectrum" - that's a visual showing you sympathetic/parasympathetic activity, with a colored band highlighting the 0.1 hertz sweet spot.  It shows my pulse in realtime, too, as a number and as a pattern, but I usually do not watch the pulse pattern. In the desktop version that I have you can't watch your pulse pattern and your Power Spectrum at the same time, so I usually go with Power Spectrum. Desktop has an adjustable breath pacer, too.

I'm curious, what does "above 6" mean? Coherence?  : )

• PS You're still the champ!! : )

• edited August 2013

hi mmejoanna, 

-this post here I mentioned how I hacked the 0.1 Hz "sweet spot" for my own body

-on the IB, "6" is the minimum for high coherence (level 4), the scale is from 0-16, I actually don't know if the same applies for the emwave. it would be good to know

• I know this isn't going to get me on the scoreboard, but this is my first attempt at Level 4, thanks to you all motivating me to stop resting on my laurels at level 2. Hopefully I'll be able to post some improved scores over the coming weeks.

null_zps8f319645.png

• Matthat, you're getting close to Katolotus with your 10.7 peak, he's the reigning "Bad Buddha" with 11. 

• Had a good session today, I find I can focus so much better when there's absolutely no one else around.  Very much aware of the brain/pineal to heart connection. 

2013817session_zps3858ef7a.jpg  2013817history_zpsbbe68961.jpg

• another record for baba  :-P

I had a couple of good sessions last night, I am preferring sitting at present (rather than lying down), but I'm still not sure what is the best position for hrv coherence..

9535529224_8093ce851b_m.jpg9532741953_d46e5a43eb_m.jpg

• Nice zone to be in, MrSmith, :) 

Best position for me has been sitting; floor, chair, leaning against a wall, but definitely upright with my spine in alignment. If my chest is collapsing at all its distracting.   I nod off if I'm lying down.  :( 

I've been meaning to ask you, how is it that you can listen to your heart?  I can feel my heart beating but I can't hear it unless I'm lying down. 

• if I wear ear plugs I hear my heart beat, particularly if I am lying down.

I've been thinking to buy a stethoscope, but that might be taking things a bit too far ... :-P

I am starting to see a lot of merit in the "upright" point of view...or at least a position that has head -> heart -> diaphragm -> stomach in a descending arrangement (highest vertically to lowest). 

I am using a position that Kelly Starrett would describe as "sitting, braced-neutral spine". position a

• Great to see you guys do so well. I'm earnestly applying your 'hacks'. Nose breathing is damned hard.

• Nice zone to be in, MrSmith, :)

Best position for me has been sitting; floor, chair, leaning against a wall, but definitely upright with my spine in alignment. If my chest is collapsing at all its distracting.   I nod off if I'm lying down.  :(

I've been meaning to ask you, how is it that you can listen to your heart?  I can feel my heart beating but I can't hear it unless I'm lying down. 

I find that if I'm having a really good, peaceful meditation, I can occasionally hear my heart. Still freaks me out a bit when it happens. No chance with Inner Balance as my breath is too loud.

I find sitting up much better than lying down for Inner Balance, my coherence is more consistent.

• Kelly Starrett has some great information. I'm going to have to get his book.  Episode 351, he talks about holding your texting device, he says to "hold your phone  out to the side with one hand, (palm up, which externally rotates the shoulder down) belly tight, then just pull it in tight, and place your other hand underneath."  Really sets the shoulders in a nice "home base" position. I don't like the idea of saying "belly tight,"  better drawing the abdomen inward and upward. 

OK, at the beginning of the thread you say nerdiness should not be held against us, so here's probably more than most want to know about sitting. 

Iyengar says

"When the posture is correct, the skin from the back of the neck and shoulders moves down towards the base and that from the buttocks and hips stretches upwards.  The maximum tension is felt at the first lumbar vertebra where these two opposing movements meet.  The thoracic vertebra at the back and the center of the breastbone in the front are lifted towards the chin.....

The first lumbar is used as a a fulcrum for stretching the spine vertically and opening the chest sideways."

The groins relax, and descend downward, widening the sit bones, rolling the buttocks outward.

The arrows show the movement of the skin, when I do the sequence you posted of Kelly Starrett, same lift of the skin.

sitting001shrunk_zps19fd7a30.jpg

• I think Kelly just means you can achieve "neutral spine" in a number of different seated positions. I don't think that was meant to be an exercise sequence  :-P

I don't really feel the "lift of skin", but those arrows are an interesting way of conceptualising sitting, I'll pay attention to it.

If you get his book, let me know of what you think of his braced neutral approach, and the exercises from page 39-42.

• Too funny, I read way too much into it.  Another way of thinking of the lift, is to change skin, to flesh, or fascia. 

I have occasionally heard my heartbeat while meditating too, but I can't maintain it.

Matt, try letting your breath become quieter, less throat constriction, quiet enough so that only you can hear it, and not someone across the room.  :)

• Long, hard, stressful day at work today, which is unusual for me, so looking forward to some inner balance and a good nights sleep. Wonder how the scores will be tonight and tomorrow morning.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• Matt, try letting your breath become quieter, less throat constriction, quiet enough so that only you can hear it, and not someone across the room.  :)

Thanks ill try that. Been working on level 4 for the last few days and trying to find my rhythm for maintaining the higher coherence. I think my lungs are wondering what's going on with all this deep breathing!
  • Gawd, I tried level 4 and got my ass handed to me.

• Sometimes that just happens. This morning, I could hardly stay in the blue zone, better session this afternoon.

What I'm liking about the inner balance is that immediate feedback you get. I've been noticing that when I spike higher into the green zone, there's a feeling that comes right before it spikes. The program has helped me recognize those feelings, that I might have missed otherwise, and learn to cultivate them more.
  • So not ready for Level 4:

rsz_ib3.png

• you're definitely ready reggie... 80+% at coherence at level 4 is great!

It seems to be, typically, a quick learning curve to convert moderate coherence to high (at level 4)

• you're definitely ready reggie... 80+% at coherence at level 4 is great!

It seems to be, typically, a quick learning curve to convert moderate coherence to high (at level 4)

That's good to hear. I'm generally able to do 80%+ medium / high coherence but usually 50-60% is medium. Persevering though.
  • Anyone contemplating a Heartmath device, they have a very sweet 5 day sale happening, the Inner Balance, EmWave 2 or the Desktop, $99 each.  http://www.heartmathstore.com

• my top ten scores are all from the past week, and all 6.5 or above, but still can't crack a 7

9567791747_e25c2064d0_m.jpg9570586968_9657e69e37_m.jpg9567793733_52f6a75d24_m.jpg

• Baba YagaBaba Yaga
    edited August 2013

You're getting closer to 7, who knows, you might just make a leap and hit 8.  However scores may progress, the practice itself has cumulative effects.  

• slowly getting there, but still pretty short sessions

9596025522_5f9e86e17c_m.jpg9593233749_6e61640da8_m.jpg9593272417_baf6cc9326_m.jpg

• @MrSmith, nice coherence levels!  I think the longer sessions really help. I haven't explored that last screen with the pulse/spectrum graphs.  So, longer breaths score higher?  When I started the program, I moved the breath pacer up to 15, the 10 felt too short for me. 

Kato, I've noticed that I'm a bit more positive, I'm more aware of the potential downward spiral of negative thought and find myself backing off from conversations that go there.  More significantly, my communication skills seem to have really increased. I have noticed too, the busier I am with work, the lower my coherence.  That would be nice to be able to reverse. 

Ancient Phi, I'd like to try some of the neurofeedback that's out there one day, is there any particular training you'd recommend? 

@MrSmith, nice coherence levels!  I think the longer sessions really help. I haven't explored that last screen with the pulse/spectrum graphs.  So, longer breaths score higher?  When I started the program, I moved the breath pacer up to 15, the 10 felt too short for me. 

Kato, I've noticed that I'm a bit more positive, I'm more aware of the potential downward spiral of negative thought and find myself backing off from conversations that go there.  More significantly, my communication skills seem to have really increased. I have noticed too, the busier I am with work, the lower my coherence.  That would be nice to be able to reverse. 

Ancient Phi, I'd like to try some of the neurofeedback that's out there one day, is there any particular training you'd recommend? 

Hey there Baba, I have only used the NeurOptimal system. I love it. Dave had the inventor/creator of NeurOptimal, Dr. Val Brown, on the podcast, #54. You may like the episode to find out more. It is really an amazing technology. Dave seems to prefer the NeurOptimal system more as well, and he goes into reasons for that in the podcast.

NeurOptimal is a negative reinforcement system that is less "pushy" than the positive reinforcement models. Also other models attempt to bring your brain to an "average" brainwave state. These systems measure a ton of peoples' brainwaves to determine the average and then attempts to bring your brain more towards that average, but like Dave mentioned in the podcast who the sh*t wants to be average? Very un-Bulletproof. If you're an F student then becoming an average C student is great but if you are an A student then becoming an average C student is a bad choice.

I'm no expert on the other systems, nor the Neuroptimal system for that matter, but that is what I got from the podcast and from doing my own research.

~ The Universe goes inward just as much as it goes outward ~

• Wow you guys are doing great, it really drives me on. I'm now doing on average one 20 minute session a day on level 4, and averaging just under 6. Can sustain green for 3-4 minutes at a time now, but finding that when I drop down, it takes me a long time to get back to green. Definitely improving though and hoping to average a 6 over 20 minutes this week.

• this is a pretty cool paper

-gives a good overview of resonant hrv

-outlines the main benefits found to date (improvements in: asthma, hyperventilation syndrome, hypertension, hypotension, anxiety, depression, fatigue, gastric pain)

-figure 3: really good for visualising the realtionship between breathing, blood pressure, HRV at the 10 second cycle resonance

-the idea of using the 10 second cycle for a single rep in weight training, sounds crazy enough to give it a go..

• Still using my inner balance while recovering from surgery. Haven't notice too much changing in my sessions, although I've been stuck around the same level for a while now. Level 3 and averaging around 4.0-4.5 on 10mins minimum sessions. Lately been starting well and losing it around 5 mins in and then bordering just in the green for the next 5 mins. Not sure if a pattern is forming yet, but feels like it the last few days.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well