**top Scores** Inner Balance / Coherence

Comments

• edited August 2013

"personal" optimal breathing rate.

This is a follow-on from the optimal breathing rate post, and works off the ideas and concepts in this paper here.

I can maintain level 4 high coherence with a breathing rate anywhere between 5 and 6 breaths a minute (between 0.085 and 0.1 Hz).

I then incrementally tested where along this spectrum did I produce the highest PSD values. I find my highest value (over 3000) at around 0.92 Hz. When I tested at 0.090 and 0.094 my levels were between 2500 and 2700. My best scores are now coming from this smaller range.

Breathing at 0.092 Hz           Breathing at 0.094 Hz (similar levels at 0.090 Hz)

9476136073_26792af8ee_m.jpg9476135809_3f5f80d415_m.jpg

Reigning Former Inner Balance "Mad Monk" Champion... :-P 

• People are getting some impressive sessions in. Would be interesting to hear how it's effecting your mood and daily life.

My sessions are a little up and down at the mo and seem to reflect how knackered I am from training a little.

Generally though, my mood is still great. I'm more relax, feel like I can control my mood much better and generally feel much more content since starting the training. Hard to explain, but I just feel more in control.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• Ancient PhiAncient Phi 144eqls9
    edited August 2013

Here's my high score. It's from a several weeks ago but like I've mentioned before my performance has dropped off since then. Working it back up.

photo_zpse71ec7c3.png

~ The Universe goes inward just as much as it goes outward ~

• @MrSmith, nice coherence levels!  I think the longer sessions really help. I haven't explored that last screen with the pulse/spectrum graphs.  So, longer breaths score higher?  When I started the program, I moved the breath pacer up to 15, the 10 felt too short for me. 

Kato, I've noticed that I'm a bit more positive, I'm more aware of the potential downward spiral of negative thought and find myself backing off from conversations that go there.  More significantly, my communication skills seem to have really increased. I have noticed too, the busier I am with work, the lower my coherence.  That would be nice to be able to reverse. 

Ancient Phi, I'd like to try some of the neurofeedback that's out there one day, is there any particular training you'd recommend? 

• Hi there,

I've been using emwave on and off for a year or so and recently decided to get serious and bought Inner Balance. Thought I was doing well with level 2 so it's great to find this post and see what serious looks like! You've inspired me to spend a lot more time to the system so at least I can post some reasonable level 4 results on here!

I'm still working out how to fit this with my daily mindfulness meditation. I've been doing short bursts before I meditate but I'm looking how I can sustain my existing practice and slot in a 20 minute Inner Balance session too.

Thanks again for your inspiration!

• two 10 min session everyday is worth finding time for from my limited experience.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• thanks. I usually do a 5 min session followed by meditation whilst my BP coffee is brewing. So I think I might try a longer session (1000 points) before bed and see how I get on with that. Look forward to posting some decent scores!

• Hey Matt, glad you joined the thread. Bumping my time up to either 20 mins or 1000 points really made a difference for me along with making it a regular practice.

I'm wondering too if you could just put the level back to 1 and practice coherence while you're doing your meditation. I do that while I'm driving, it's really made me much more aware of my breath.
  • -hehe...I wasn't sure if the "competition" element of this thread would be a help or a hindrance, but I think, generally, it is inspiring people to really test out the product and give it a try, which can't be a bad thing

-in the mornings and during the day I normally just run a breath pacer at around 5 breaths a minute, I just sit it on my study desk and pace to it now and again, baba's comment about being more aware of my breath rings true for me

-at night I run blueblockers for 20 mins and then a half hour on IB while still wearing the blueblockers

-I have found this practice correlates with *much* better sleep, but initially played havoc with my sex metrics (very hard to look cool/appealing wearing blueblockers with a hrv trainer hanging off your ear)

-I seem to have solved the latter problem by shifting my "duties" to early evening, with nothing but positive results and an increase in metrics all around 

• Being able to talk with people that are working with this too, has been great...wasn't sure about the competition part of it either, but it's all good.  (she says as the current reigning Master, Bad Buddha, Mad Monk :cool:)  I don't know anyone IRL that is into this, so I'm really enjoying being able to talk to other people about how it's been going. 

I've been re-reading "Light on Pranayama" and have been working with this: 

"The inner intercostal muscles at the back initiate inspiration and the outer intercostal muscles at the front initiate expiration."

So drawing the breath diagonally from the lower back floating ribs up towards the heart with inhalation, then initiating the exhalation from the outer front intercostals.  Very solid feeling to the breath for me and longer coherence. 

• Hey Matt, glad you joined the thread. Bumping my time up to either 20 mins or 1000 points really made a difference for me along with making it a regular practice.

I'm wondering too if you could just put the level back to 1 and practice coherence while you're doing your meditation. I do that while I'm driving, it's really made me much more aware of my breath.

Thanks for your comment. This morning I mixed things up a bit and did 1000 points of Inner Balance before my mindfulness meditation. And I have to say that despite a number of challenging meetings I have been so calm and persuasive it's really taken me by surprise. There is definitely a difference for me between doing 20 mins "worth" of Inner Balance in the day, and a 20 minute session.

I've used Inner Balance \ emWave to track my coherence during meditation sessions previously, just in the background, with eyes closed, and haven't found the coherence to be as strong as when I am consciously watching the lights. That could just be my level of skill in meditating, but I find the two practices have a different feel, and the effects additive.

Either that or perhaps I just need to get some blueblockers that will probably be the convincer for my wife that all is lost!

• last nights sesh, and a short one this morning (6.7)

9503299307_60a1bb0391_m.jpg9506097942_e3b162be2f_m.jpg

• Getting into a nice flow there!!!  Are you noticing any particular changes after holding a long coherence? 

• hi baba, its mainly my mood and sleep metrics that are most improved.

One thing I have noticed is that my hrv is increasing, while my average heart rate is decreasing.

When I started, I would get hrv swings of about 20 bpm from 70-90. Now I get 30 bpm swings from 50-80.

9439866089_b48226e092_m.jpg9508902390_e171be2e81_m.jpg

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited August 2013

Ok, didn't think this would happened. HRV on sweatbeat was very low this morning after some hard training. 5 mins later I didn't my inner balance training and got the highest peak (11.0) I've ever had and a very good general session compare to the week, which hasn't been great!

InnerBalance_14Aug13_zpsaa8b0538.jpg HRV_14Aug13_zps5614796e.jpg

Not how I expected the HRV thing to work. Sweetbeat uses a heart rate monitor (HRM) and I don't do any particular breathing while the 3 minute reading is taken. Relaxed lying down, like the inner balance training. Still not sure the real difference between you normal HRV and getting in coherence and how each effects each other.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter