**top Scores** Inner Balance / Coherence

Comments

• I was only 1% green yesterday. Humbled!

• I have always wondered why my breath pacer is sometimes too easy and sometimes too hard.  I didn't make the laying down / sitting up connection.  I'll try to play with that later tonight.  I typically do my best practice while sitting in a chair FWIW.  

• What is FWIW?
  • FWIW = For What Its Worth

• Has anybody ever tried this in a group setting? I haven't meditated in a group very many times but the few times that I did always seemed more satisfying to me. But then again I was never staring at my iPhone with little clippy on my ear.  FWIW-  :D

• So I tried the recovery breathing technique twice today but I forgot to put the earpiece on for the first one. Not sure if I'm doing it right. I might have felt the heat it that is supposed to cause but I'm not sure. Wondering if I could ever get the coherency high enough to get out of the red on level 4.

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Coherence has dropped lately! Too much coffee?

HeartMath_Apr14_1_zpsdfa2936a.jpg

HeartMath_Apr14_2_zps401568ee.jpg

HeartMath_Apr14_3_zps143597fa.jpg

HeartMath_Apr14_4_zpsa2ff940c.jpg

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• Katolotus... I don't know dude. I really like thinking about it like taking advantage of a whole bunch of small edges:

Breathing into your heart (as instructed by inner balance)

-Heart shaped picture

-Heartbeat in the background of my inspirational song

Green is the color they chose for high coherency

-Green picture

-Green mist that I'm breathing in

-Green chakra (my recent geewhiz discovery)

Trying to think about love (as instructed by inner balance)

-I think about my girlfriend

-The unconditional love that you get from a pet (BigPapaChakra's recommendation)

And how the hell did Daveytrain do it? At my best I think it would take me 12 hours. I might have to try to beat that one day total... How?

• I'm noticing a lot of benefit from simple consistency.  Even if I do short sessions, I tend to get improvement as long as I do 2 a day.  I also got a decent coherence boost by switching to level 4.  I didn't realize that even blue in level 4 is good and I think the positive reinforcement of being green in level 4 helps keep me at a higher coherence than I typically would be in level 3.  

I have had good luck using an "empty mind" meditation.  I tried this because I never had much luck reliving positive memories or things like that.  I can do decent thinking about things I'm grateful for, especially my fiance and dog, so there may be a trend developing there.  

Good luck everyone.  I'm finding the information shared on this thread really helpful at gaining higher coherence.  I still don't know if higher coherence is good for anything else in the world, but it is an interesting hobby no matter what.  

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

my scores are still in the pan!

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• Empty mind works best for me to. Instead of waterfalls, family, unicorns, etc... I just focus on breathing by trying to exactly match the expanding / contracting color wheel.

I have had good luck using an "empty mind" meditation.  I tried this because I never had much luck reliving positive memories or things like that.  I can do decent thinking about things I'm grateful for, especially my fiance and dog, so there may be a trend developing there.  

Personal blog: http://SoSoDynamo.com
  • edited April 2014

Empty mind works best for me to. Instead of waterfalls, family, unicorns, etc... I just focus on breathing by trying to exactly match the expanding / contracting color wheel.

I totally understand not wanting to think about family but unicorns… I mean what's wrong with unicorns?

• When I think about unicorns, my coherence goes through the roof. It feels like cheating.

I totally understand not wanting to think about family but unicorns… I mean what's wrong with unicorns?

Personal blog: http://SoSoDynamo.com
  • I'm pretty sure this Ted talks video will help everybody's meditation.

• I'm noticing a lot of benefit from simple consistency.  Even if I do short sessions, I tend to get improvement as long as I do 2 a day.  I also got a decent coherence boost by switching to level 4.  I didn't realize that even blue in level 4 is good and I think the positive reinforcement of being green in level 4 helps keep me at a higher coherence than I typically would be in level 3.  

Good luck everyone.  I'm finding the information shared on this thread really helpful at gaining higher coherence.  I still don't know if higher coherence is good for anything else in the world, but it is an interesting hobby no matter what.  

Thanks for that tip -- I tried it today and it does seem to help! From a psychological standpoint, I think I prefer the idea of drawing my attention to when I'm doing well (the middle and high tones on Level 4) as opposed to when I'm doing poorly (the low tones on Level 1). I'll keep experimenting with that.

I got some unmodified potato starch the other day and will also see if that affects things.

Shawro, thanks for posting the TED talk, that had some good stuff!

• I've got a new personal best for my peak coherency.

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited May 2014

I'm still struggling to keep up with my sessions and general scores. Been in the pan for a while now, but work is stressful and I've been doing extra long hours for about 3 months now. Hoping to get back on the horse over the summer.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• edited May 2014
    I just got done reading Ben Greenfield's book. Here's what he has to say on the subject:

"Here’s how to achieve coherence and optimize communication between your heart and your brain in three easy steps:

Step 1: Heart focus. Focus your attention on the area around your heart, in the center of your chest. If you prefer, place your hand over your heart the first couple times you try it to help keep your attention there.

Step 2: Heart breathing. Breathe deeply but normally, and imagine that your breath is coming in and going out through the area around your heart. Continue breathing with ease until you find a natural inner rhythm that feels good to you.

Step 3: Heart feeling. As you maintain your heart focus and heart breathing, activate a positive feeling. Recall a positive memory, a time when you felt good inside, and try to reexperience that feeling. One of the easiest ways to generate a positive, heart-based feeling is to think of a special place that you’ve been to or the love you feel for a close friend, family member, or treasured pet. This is the most important step."--

Greenfield, Ben (2014-04-13). Beyond Training: Mastering Endurance, Health & Life (Kindle Locations 4388-4396). Victory Belt Publishing. Kindle Edition. 

It's a pretty good book. I worry sometimes that I'm trapped in some confirmation bias style feedback loop. He basically backs up an awful lot of the bulletproof ideals and lifestyle.

• Can someone elaborate on my experience, every time I start the Inner Balance coherence training I start out in the red (doesn't matter which time of day) sometimes in low blue. I can get it up with some Heart Focused Breathing to about 6,5 max. 

How long would it take for your baseline to go up? Meaning that whenever I start my coherence training I will at least start in the blue or green levels?

My difficulty level is at 2*

• Most days it takes me about a minute to go from red to green on level four but some days it takes me several minutes just to get out of the red.

How long would it take for your baseline to go up? Meaning that whenever I start my coherence training I will at least start in the blue or green levels?

My difficulty level is at 2*

• edited June 2014
    Ok - ready to join the fun here - hope this comes out right
  • edited July 2014
    Pizzabagel… Wow that is a really high score. Is there anything special you were doing during that like a special nootropic stack, background music, ...lucky underwear? No underwear ... That's it isn't it no underwear. That is how we are going to make our millions you've heard of hot yoga (stand aside!) now there's Commando meditation.

• I was just in my car in the parking lot of my office.  I have a playlist that I use for emwave training, but otherwise nothing special.  I'll check my DB and see if I used a  B12 shot that morning.

• I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to breathe in and out through my heart area, so I've given up on that.

What do you mean by "heart shaped picture?" Do we just google image search a pic of a heart?

Katolotus... I don't know dude. I really like thinking about it like taking advantage of a whole bunch of small edges:

Breathing into your heart (as instructed by inner balance)

-Heart shaped picture

-Heartbeat in the background of my inspirational song

Green is the color they chose for high coherency

-Green picture

-Green mist that I'm breathing in

-Green chakra (my recent geewhiz discovery)

Trying to think about love (as instructed by inner balance)

-I think about my girlfriend

-The unconditional love that you get from a pet (BigPapaChakra's recommendation)

And how the hell did Daveytrain do it? At my best I think it would take me 12 hours. I might have to try to beat that one day total... How?

• Here are some things that worked for me:

Put one hand on my heart

Inhaling

Pretend you are filling a balloon in your chest - your shoulders might vibrate

Try to breathe all the way in - adjust the breath meter so that you can do this comfortably

Breathe through your nose as if you are sniffing something beautiful 

Try to truly experience appreciation for something

Exhaling

Use your nose to regulate the exhalation, almost like slowly letting air out of a tire

Try hard to feel your heart beating as you exhale - let the air out more slowly until you feel it

NOTE:  Some sessions I won't use music because I just need to concentrate and really listen for my heartbeat

It's like a golf swing - there are hundreds of little things to get right and you can only think of one or two at a time.  With practice, you reduce the things you need to think about until you can master the technique.  With more practice you can do it for long periods of time.

Consider supplementing with lecithin to promote myelination as you work through this.  Learn what helps and hurts your scores and start setting yourself up to win.

I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to breathe in and out through my heart area, so I've given up on that.

What do you mean by "heart shaped picture?" Do we just google image search a pic of a heart?

• Zeke ... I use the image from the bulletproof HRV app. You know the one that is part of their breathing pacer. I just took a screenshot with my iPhone and then transfer the screenshot to be inspirational picture for Inner Balance. I talk about that and some other stuff earlier on in this thread.
  • katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

HeartCloud_Award_July14_zpsbbb219a3.jpg

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• edited July 2014

Hi everyone,

I got my emWave Pro about 2 months ago, and found this forum shortly thereafter. I was inspired by multiple posts in this thread, and want to thank you all for sharing!

At the beginning of June, after doing a couple of practice sessions for about a week, I decided to start doing 3 sessions a day, of 5 or 10 minutes, until I figure out what I want to do next.

I'm still exploring what works and what does not. Sometimes I get a beautiful, stable line for my coherence score, while other times it goes up and down like crazy. My current top average coherence scores are shown here, including the chart for the top one (that chart is rather stable; most of the times I get well below the 4.0 line during my sessions; also, having been in the red zone for just 3% is also extremely good and rare for where I am today).

Cheers,

Remus

• My Max Coherence so far is 10.1.

My Heartmath HRV mimics my standard HRV in that it's higher (more coherent) lying down vs. standing up, and sitting is in between. Mornings tend to be the best in terms of diurnal cycle - which fits with the Sweetwater data - best in morning, and afternoon.

post-2190-0-30867200-1406889318.png

The Quantified Body Podcast 

Gain Confidence in What You Invest Your Time & Money In.

Learn from Data-Driven Experiments using New Tools & Tactics to Improve Health, Performance and Longevity

• My Max Coherence so far is 10.1.

My Heartmath HRV mimics my standard HRV in that it's higher (more coherent) lying down vs. standing up, and sitting is in between. Mornings tend to be the best in terms of diurnal cycle - which fits with the Sweetwater data - best in morning, and afternoon.

post-2190-0-30867200-1406889318.png

mine is similiar