**top Scores** Inner Balance / Coherence

Comments

• -hope the recovery goes well kato

-what helped me was reducing the timer to around 11 seconds (for a full breathe) and then just using the timer as a "rough guide", and to pay more attention to what my actual hrv pattern is doing

-the 11 second mark, is, apparently, the time that studies show most people will average as maximum hrv output - eg this paper here

-the default timer on the IB is 10 seconds

-I find if I just go "by feel" around 11 seconds it is easier to maintain high coherence, for example, if I am a little slower it doesn't really matter, so long as I am reasonably consistent around 11 seconds

-another key thing I did was pay attention to when my heart rate changes direction (increasing to decreasing), ahead of my breathe changing direction (from inhale to exhale) 

-basically I use the 11 second timer to ramp up to coherence, and after I am above 6, I then rely on the hrv pattern to time my breathe - after it peaks I start exhaling, and after it bottoms, I start inhaling

-technically, I understand this as letting the baro reflex lead my breathe

-I keep an eye on the timer, just to coarsely "guide" the pattern, if the amount of hrv drops, I just focus on a few cycles where I try to get exactly 11 seconds in each cycle, to get it back up again

-typically I can get above 70% (level 4 green) for each session now doing this

-another thing that helped was watching this 3D video of diaphragm breathing - this was the first time diaphragm breathing really "clicked" for me

Reigning Former Inner Balance "Mad Monk" Champion... :-P 

• I like reading how everyone is doing.  I've been shooting for 1000 coherence point sessions, and averaging around 6.2. (a few 7.2's but not consistent) Tried watching the heart rate direction change and synching my breathing to that, and got 6.7 for the session.  Thanks for the tip! 

Regarding the diaphragm, I had a teacher once that would say to focus on the diaphragm and make the movement of it as easy and effortless as possible... easier for me to do with the exhalation vs the inhalation, but nice feeling when I do get it. 

• These posts are so useful, thank you, and all that geek fodder is going to keep me going for a while.

It's funny how I find myself trying so hard to improve my coherence, and yet that becomes a downward spiral. Using the biofeedback to time my breaths makes so much more sense. What is the relationship between the breathing pacer and the ebb and flow of HRV? Because I find it more comfortable to pause my breathing at each end and then timing this with the breathing pacer still isn't fully comfortable for me. Yet.

I'm beginning to find this sweet spot, somewhere between focus and trance where my HRV ramps up very quickly. It coincides with step improvements in the quality of my normal meditation too, so whilst IB and meditation are very different in focus, I am sure they are working similar "muscles" and accelerating my development. When doing inner balance I'm averaging around 6 now, whilst my coherence during normal meditation is around 4.
  • hrv and exercise.

Previously, I mentioned how training on the IB, for hrv coherence, was both lowering my resting heart rate while at the same time raising my hrv amount.

For example, when I started on the IB, my resting heart rate, during coherence, would vary between 70 and 90, now it varies between 45 and 75. [my average hr is dropping, but my total amount of hrv is increasing, during coherence]

I was interested to see what my hrv, and coherence scores, were while doing exercise.

First, I tested hrv during a stationary bike sprint that got my heart rate up to around 160 (yeah, I know, its not very high).

9722394176_16f867c7ae.jpg

Then, straight after, I trained on the IB to go to coherence (during the rest period, immediately after the bike set).

9722394946_9bc2cc196c.jpg

A few comments (and, obviously, this is just my own n=1):

*typically, I can get to coherence within 30 seconds (when rested), but it takes me about a minute, or so, after a sprint to reach coherence

*during this time, my heart rate is a lot higher (average around 90-95), but my total amount of hrv is around the same (approx 30), only at a higher rate (80-110)

*the ability to recover between sets appears to be better for me (relative to not reaching coherence between sets) - with better recovery metrics over the following days (lower doms)

Reigning Former Inner Balance "Mad Monk" Champion... :-P 

• Have you tried the Bulletproof HRV app for training? Not quite the same, but interesting. I've been using it.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• Greetings!

I have been using IB for three weeks, I try to get 4 x 7.5 minute sessions in per day, maximum average coherence 7.0, max coherence 10.2.

Daily averages work out 6-6.2 normally, I have noticed better scores between 10am and 6pm, I've also noticed higher scores right after training although I have only done this 3 times.

I've done most sessions sitting, using the timer set to about 11s, Idevice held on a tabletop mic stand.

I have tried lying down but it's awkward holding the device to see the timer, tried an audio metronome lying down but I set it too quick, got an average of 4.7.

I'm going to make some audio tracks with patterns to time breathing with, maybe layer some binaural recordings into them.

I did one session using pulse as the timer, didn't turn out too great but it would probably work better in the long run.

Does anyone know how you would go about discerning overtraining etc using IB?

I assume it could be used to read overtraining of the nervous system, I've been training since using it on a one day on, one day off pattern, I'm not seeing much difference in average daily scores and my last two training sessions were pretty heavy to the point where I would take an extra rest day.

*Don't know how to upload images*

• You're better off with the Bulletproof App or SweetBeat App (both the same, just branded) for HRV for training, which will give you scores each day and you can train around your scores. If your scores drop, you lower your training, if they are the same or increase, you can train more intensely. I've been using one for a couple of months.

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/4780-food-sense-app-by-the-bulletproof-executive-review/

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• You're better off with the Bulletproof App or SweetBeat App (both the same, just branded) for HRV for training, which will give you scores each day and you can train around your scores. If your scores drop, you lower your training, if they are the same or increase, you can train more intensely. I've been using one for a couple of months.

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/4780-food-sense-app-by-the-bulletproof-executive-review/

Cheers, am I right in thinking I need to download the BP Food app, then buy the HRV add on and purchase another HRV monitor?

Have you found these helpful for judging training sessions?

• I think it works quite well. I take a reading on waking every morning and it give me a score out of 100 (i think). I'm between 55-75 normally. 55 is bad and I'm in need of a break. 75 and I'm well rested and ready to train. Some morning's I wake feeling good and get a worse reading saying I shouldn't train as hard and I think it's wrong. Then when I train, I feel I'm not performing great. Just gives you an idea of where you're at. I'm careful if I get a poor reading in the morning during training to make sure I don't get injured. I still training though ;-)

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• Thanks katolous, been using BP App, just taking morning pulse so far though.

Increased the pacer a little to 12s or so and knocked my scores up a little.

Highest  Peak  11.7

Got a couple of 7.5 session coherence scores ( under 1,000 points )

coher.png

Peak_11_7.png
  • kicking my arse. I'm lucky to get a score average of above 5.0 at the moment.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• all mine are a minimum of 10mins. Had the app crash a couple of times, but then just do another 10min+ session. Still trying to get 2 in a day as much as possible.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• My scores have been sucking lately. Not sure why, but not improving much.

photo_zpsf2966b81.png

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• edited December 2013

@katolotus, I have basically the same thing. I've been training for 7 days. Had a substantial increase in Coherence after five days or so (from 1ish to 4ish) but now, I can't even hold it at a stable 3. Over-trained HRV ? Is that even possible ?

2013_12_24_1254.jpg

• I don't know how everybody maintains coherence levels of 4 and above.  I hope to get there eventually.  I did a 40 minute session this morning, with an average coherence of 1.9 (I was on high level).  I'm sitting there pretty focused with the breath timer the entire time trying to picture happy things and all, but I couldn't get out of 1st gear.

In Medium, I'm usually in the mid 3s for coherence and maintain green for 70-80% of the time.