Trouble Getting Enough Protein

I have searched through the forum (90+ search results) and didn't see this particular question so I created this thread (for all you veterans, I am really trying to comb through Dave's site and past forum threads before asking anything - definitely want to respect forum policy! Thanks for having patience with a newbie. I'm trying to learn quickly, and I take correction well so feel free to let me know if I ever do something contrary to BP forum culture!)

Now for the topic: I'm finding it hard to consume adequate protein while participating in BP intermittent fasting.

My typical day consists of the following:

Breakfast: 26-32 oz. Bulletproof Coffee (Upgraded Beans, 4-6 tbls Kerrygold grass-fed butter, 1-2 tbls MCT oil, liquid stevia sweetener). Average calories: 550. Fat: 62 g. Carbs: 0 g. Protein: 1 g.

Lunch / Dinner: From 2:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m., I eat a combination of the following staple meals...

+ 4-5 free range eggs with 2 tbls grass-fed butter. Average calories: 607. Fat: 53 g. Carbs: 5.4 g. Protein: 27 g.

+ Salad with 1/3 pound grass-fed beef, mixed organic vegetables, and a homemade dressing consisting of olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and various herbs/seasonings (I'm in the process of switching over to fresh rather than bulk). Average calories: 756. Fat: 60 g. Carbs: 15 g. Protein: 44 g.

+ Smoothie consisting of canned coconut milk, organic blueberries/raspberries/strawberries, cinnamon, and vanilla Jay Robb protein powder (using up what I have left, and will most likely invest in Upgraded Whey in the near future). Average calories: 548. Fat: 34 g. Carbs: 31 g. Protein: 29 g.

+ Soup made of free-range chicken breast (I know it's not BP, I'm simply using up what I have left and will switch to something more BP. Can you just throw ground beef in soup? Suggestions would be appreciated, I've just recently started making soups to lower food costs), organic carrots/celery/onion, coconut oil, grass-fed butter, and miscellaneous herbs/spices. Average calories per serving: 550. Fat: 40 g. Carbs: 15 g. Protein: 36 g.

I stick to the above meals pretty regularly to save time/money and diversify my nutrients.

(My apologies if I am going to in-detail - simpy trying to give as much context and data as possible)

I am averaging a daily intake of 156 g. fat (78%), 32 g. carbs (8%), and 71 g. protein (14%).

I am 5'7", 165 lbs with moderate to decent muscle, and about 13 lbs of excess fat to lose.

Should I be consuming 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight? I know that Dave recommends about 25% of your calories coming from clean protein. But since my breakfast is purely fat, I am finding it difficult to cram enough protein into my feeding period.

Even if I were to eat five eggs (with 2 tbls butter) and 1/2 lb of grass-fed beef (with 2 tbls butter) during my feeding period (more than enough to fill me up), the daily intake would still only be 93.5 grams of protein and 18% of my calories. (Plus a day like this contains no veggies, so that's a no go for the long-term.)

I am not doing a lot of heavy lifting at this point, mostly bodyweight exercises for 10-20 minutes, 3-5 times throughout the week. My main goal is to strip fat and make the six pack show for the first time in my life. But I obviously want to build muscle in the process. (My real goal is obviously total health, not just "weight loss," but you know what I mean.)

Now that you know the context...how much protein do I likely need? AND (since I'm pretty sure that I am not getting enough), how do I incorporate more into my diet?

I have thought about maybe cooking chicken breast (high in protein), throwing it in a blender with some herbs and broth, and drinking it warm (like soup) throughout the day. I'd be willing to do that, but I can't afford it right now.

Fortunately my internet business has been growing so I will be able to afford more supplements and diversified foods in about two months, but I'm somewhat limited for the time being. Am I getting enough protein, and if not, what are some ways that I can increase this while only having BP coffee for breakfast?

Any suggestions and advice are completely welcome!

Thanks!

- AB

=======================================================================================

When I'm not eating delicious, Bulletproof food, I spend my time reading, listening to podcasts/audiobooks, lifting, traveling, and helping people to:

1.) become a more powerful version of themselves and 2.) create real income online. I have to admit, my life is quite fun! :)

Comments