Is Bulletproof Coffee Organic

I was told by many different people that you should always drink organic coffee because coffee is one of the most sprayed crops in the world.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAcpKx7Nyv8

Is Bulletproof coffee organic?  I don't see it listed anywhere on the label and couldn't find anything on the website or the forum about this.

I assume this is where it is from and they don't mention anything about it being organic.

http://shop.portlandroasting.com/products/coffee-guatemala

You would think if coffee was Bulletproof it should be organic.  If it is not could someone please explain why it doesn't have to be organic?

Comments

• The coffee is already too expensive for Dave to make a viable business out of it long term.  Adding the organic tag would make it even more expensive.  Why would an organic label matter if you believe the coffee to be free of mycotoxins?  

Bulletproof is worthless if it isn't organic, just as organic is worthless if it is loaded with toxins.  

• The coffee is already too expensive for Dave to make a viable business out of it long term.  Adding the organic tag would make it even more expensive.  Why would an organic label matter if you believe the coffee to be free of mycotoxins?  

Bulletproof is worthless if it isn't organic, just as organic is worthless if it is loaded with toxins.  

Because there's no proof and there's been people who take advantage of people.  Even in the raw food industry people taking advantage of others.  I'm not going to name names though.

• Because there's no proof and there's been people who take advantage of people.  Even in the raw food industry people taking advantage of others.  I'm not going to name names though.

This is undoubtedly true, however I've never seen a high-end coffee roaster try to get an organic label for their coffee.  This is a buyer beware business - if you buy Upgraded Coffee and feel like garbage then stop buying it and get your coffee from Stumptown.

• This is undoubtedly true, however I've never seen a high-end coffee roaster try to get an organic label for their coffee.  This is a buyer beware business - if you buy Upgraded Coffee and feel like garbage then stop buying it and get your coffee from Stumptown.

Please tell me how you're going to know if it's organic or not.  Can you even tell if a coffee is organic or not by taste alone?

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭

Dave has mentioned that the coffee is "passive organic" which means the growers do things organically but they just haven't applied for any certifications.

• Dave has mentioned that the coffee is "passive organic" which means the growers do things organically but they just haven't applied for any certifications.

That's the answer I wanted to hear..  

Do you know when he mentioned it?

Thanks..

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/coffee/

"The estate is Passive Organic and the family that owns it does not allow chemicals (herbicides, pesticides, etc.) It is not economical for Central American boutique coffee estates to become certified organic."

• Locally I buy a great organic, single source, fair trade Guatemalan coffee that tastes wonderful.  Ground twice a week it has awesome bloom and is always incredibly fresh. Whole bean costs $11.50 a pound.  The non organic twin costs $10.25.  So a difference of $1.25/lb.  Small price to pay for organic IMHO.

I can't imagine that the best excuse for Dave's coffee not being fully organic is that it is too expensive?  Is "passive organic" bulletproof?  

After having tested quite a few coffee beans under the same brew method, I have realized that there are some great coffee's out there, you do have many choices.  Buy organic, buy flavor, buy freshness.

Remember, if you're arguing on the internet, you've already lost!

• I buy my coffee from a local roaster who purchases his free trade coffee from small growers who claim it is organic.  The roaster said, "They tell me it is organic, so I believe it to be organic; also because it is all grown with small operation/farms.  That being said, I can not guarantee it is fully organic because it comes from another country.  Plus, their "organic rules" are different from ours."

I appreciated his honesty.  I love his roasting methods which make the coffee rich and regardless of how strong I make it, it is NEVER bitter.  He does say it is completely "mold free", so... I use it for my bulletproof and love it.  Keeps me going without breakfast until 2pm!