Really Annoying Carb Cravings, How Much Longer?

I'm new to this site but have played around a little with low carb and recently, paleo. I'm trying to become keto adapted so I don't have to deal with these carb cravings any more but if I remember correctly, it took me 2 months to get there last time I tried. Now, after a few months on SAD I'm trying to readjust to a better way of eating for fat loss and energy. Any suggestions on how to get there faster? Right now I feel like I'm barely hanging in there!
Tagged:

Comments

• Hey

You might want to consider supplementing with chromium picolinate. Many people find it helps to reduce carb cravings and also has a psoitive effect on mood. If you Google it you will find lots of references but you can also look at this study from 2005: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16184071

Hang in there - it will be worth it in the end!
  • What worked for my husband and me was to substitute a high fat snack instead of the carbs. We eat dairy so might have full fat Greek yoghurt, aged cheese, or maybe some macadamias or almonds. We often buy fresh coconut and cut it up into chunks, then eat pieces along with 85% or higher chocolate. Find a protein/fat snack that you enjoy. It will be more satiating and help eliminate carb cravings.
  • It may sound counter-intuitive, but try reducing your carbs below 40-50g/day and increasing your fat intake. You may be in that strange liminal ground where you are eating too many carbs to be in nutritional ketosis, but not enough to actually feed your brain; until you get your body/brain functioning primarily on ketones, you'll still be trying to power everything with sugar/carbs, and that simply won't work on 50-100g/day for most people.

My low-carb fog has lifted beautifully now that I'll keeping it really-low and being sure to get enough fat and not too much protein. And I'm doing it while still working out and going for moderate intensity runs.

Check out Peter Attia's "War on Insulin" or "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate LIving" for more.

And remember, self-experimentation is key. If what you're doing isn't working, keep tweeking it!
  • Honestly if you like coffee and it's not too late at night I found that the Bulletproof Coffee was a great "filler" to get me through the day. Also, the next time you have some grass fed beef whip up some guacamole and use it as a topping on you steak. It tastes awesome and you shouldn't be hungry.

One of the biggest helpers in keeping me on the diet was a little 85% chocolate after a meal to my tummy happy. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Just keep going it will be worth it once the addiction passes. I promise.
  • abqandreaabqandrea
    edited June 2012
    'dpwdan' wrote:

It may sound counter-intuitive, but try reducing your carbs below 40-50g/day and increasing your fat intake. You may be in that strange liminal ground where you are eating too many carbs to be in nutritional ketosis, but not enough to actually feed your brain; until you get your body/brain functioning primarily on ketones, you'll still be trying to power everything with sugar/carbs, and that simply won't work on 50-100g/day for most people.

My low-carb fog has lifted beautifully now that I'll keeping it really-low and being sure to get enough fat and not too much protein. And I'm doing it while still working out and going for moderate intensity runs.

Check out Peter Attia's "War on Insulin" or "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate LIving" for more.

And remember, self-experimentation is key. If what you're doing isn't working, keep tweeking it!

This is the craziest thing because I spent YEARS in that no-man's-land (100-130g carbs daily while doing 10-15 hours a week of endurance stuff) and wondered what in the bloody hell I was doing wrong - not performing that well, slowly gaining weight, etc..... If I can keep myself below that 40-50g for a few weeks running I'll see what real ketosis can do for me. Or not. But I need to find out.

(Went off the wagon last night and ended up around 80g for the day, dammit)
  • Just an update for everyone... Dropping carbs to 20 or less and adding grass fed meats and butter as well as MCT oil worked wonders. 5-Htp got me through as well. It took me a little under 2 weeks this time around. Last time I was keto-adapted it took me 2 months to get there so I guess our metabolisms do have a little bit of memory to them image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> Thanks for all the tips and help everyone. I feel amazing!!!