Why Cocoa And Tea Are Much More Effective Than Coffee

There are three xanthine derivatives found in coffee, tea, and cocoa: caffeine, theobromine, and theophylline. They all have their own effects and can work in synergy. It looks like Dave Asprey expresses theobromine as "less strong" than caffeine and "theophylline" as "stronger" than caffeine. I have questioned this on a personal level and now confirmed it through research. First of all, Dave say's Coffee has its own ratio of these stimulants that is different to Green Tea. Coffee ONLY has caffeine, not theobromine or theophylline. Green Tea has a lot of caffeine as well as a significant amount of theobromine and theophylline as well. Cocoa has a shit ton of theobromine in a raito of 13:1 over caffeine content. Cocoa powder has about 40mg/g of theobromine and 5mg/g of caffeine in contrast to coffee which has around 25-30mg/g of caffeine in it and no theobromine. Furthermore, theobromine has an enzyme that converts theobromine into caffeine called caffeine synthase. It is safe to say that chocolate has very high levels of theobromine and high levels of caffeine and tea provides high levels of caffeine and moderate levels of theobromine and theophylline.

What does this show? From a scientific standpoint, Dave argues for coffee because it contains caffeine and with fat provides a long dose of energy. Yet, he explains in his article on green tea and coffee that green tea provides a long does of energy whereas coffee provides a short burst of energy, which is consistent with the fact that coffee has caffeine whereas green tea has all three xanthine derivatives that work in synergy for long term energy. One forum thread was concerned that theobromine was causing fatigue. I would argue that it was the sugar and mycotoxins thats caused the jitteriness then fatigue. I make low-mycotoxin chocolate in huge amounts with some xylitol and have long, happy energy. I seem ot get the most energy out of chocolate compared to tea and coffee, but chocolate and tea works really well. 

Coffee beans are expensive. Buy some bulk chocolate from Cocoasupply.com and get some green tea and have healthy, long lasting energy that is time-tested.

Comments

• Ray Peat who is an endocrine physiologist is very pro-coffee.  See here:  http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/caffeine.shtml

• J.T.J.T.
    edited August 2013

Don't forget about Cafestol, which is even found in decaf coffee, and other antioxidants.

Coffee is just clean burning energy, which is helped sustained by combining it with butter and MCT oil and a nice dose of antioxidants.

Dave also recommends dark chocolate, so.... who cares?

• Don't forget about Cafestol, which is even found in decaf coffee, and other antioxidants.

Coffee is just clean burning energy, which is helped sustained by combining it with butter and MCT oil and a nice dose of antioxidants.

Dave also recommends dark chocolate, so.... who cares?

They are all full of antioxidants... I just think cocoa is way better for energy (not stuff like Lindt). Chocolate is naturally full of fat and you can put mct oil with tea.

And they are cheaper. People whow ould care are people who want high doses of CLEAN caffeine for cheap

• There are three xanthine derivatives found in coffee, tea, and cocoa: caffeine, theobromine, and theophylline. They all have their own effects and can work in synergy. It looks like Dave Asprey expresses theobromine as "less strong" than caffeine and "theophylline" as "stronger" than caffeine. I have questioned this on a personal level and now confirmed it through research. First of all, Dave say's Coffee has its own ratio of these stimulants that is different to Green Tea. Coffee ONLY has caffeine, not theobromine or theophylline. Green Tea has a lot of caffeine as well as a significant amount of theobromine and theophylline as well. Cocoa has a shit ton of theobromine in a raito of 13:1 over caffeine content. Cocoa powder has about 40mg/g of theobromine and 5mg/g of caffeine in contrast to coffee which has around 25-30mg/g of caffeine in it and no theobromine. Furthermore, theobromine has an enzyme that converts theobromine into caffeine called caffeine synthase. It is safe to say that chocolate has very high levels of theobromine and high levels of caffeine and tea provides high levels of caffeine and moderate levels of theobromine and theophylline.

What does this show? From a scientific standpoint, Dave argues for coffee because it contains caffeine and with fat provides a long dose of energy. Yet, he explains in his article on green tea and coffee that green tea provides a long does of energy whereas coffee provides a short burst of energy, which is consistent with the fact that coffee has caffeine whereas green tea has all three xanthine derivatives that work in synergy for long term energy. One forum thread was concerned that theobromine was causing fatigue. I would argue that it was the sugar and mycotoxins thats caused the jitteriness then fatigue. I make low-mycotoxin chocolate in huge amounts with some xylitol and have long, happy energy. I seem ot get the most energy out of chocolate compared to tea and coffee, but chocolate and tea works really well. 

Coffee beans are expensive. Buy some bulk chocolate from Cocoasupply.com and get some green tea and have healthy, long lasting energy that is time-tested.

Why do you suggest cocoasupply.com? The prices are good, but I don't know enough about cocao to determine if it's healthy (low mycotoxins). Seems too good to be true.

• They are all full of antioxidants... I just think cocoa is way better for energy (not stuff like Lindt). Chocolate is naturally full of fat and you can put mct oil with tea.

And they are cheaper. People whow ould care are people who want high doses of CLEAN caffeine for cheap

A doctor that I know, who obsesses about testing for mycotoxins says that matcha green tea is the only tea that tests good. The rest are moldy as hell. I don't have a specific source, but just something to "chew on".

• GabrielGabriel
    edited August 2013

Coffee also contains beta carbolines which are stimulant. I am not suer if they are present in tea or in what amount.

Human monoamine oxidase enzyme inhibition by coffee and beta-carbolines norharman and harman isolated from coffee.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16139309

• I had bizarre heart palpitations from Matcha Green tea - pulse was 101 with almost no variability. It was downright unpleasant

• So I assume You can make BP Matcha Green tea with MCT&Butter?curious how the effects differ from BPC...thanks for info

• And what exactly is wrong with Lindt??

BUTTER TEA

• Why do you suggest cocoasupply.com? The prices are good, but I don't know enough about cocao to determine if it's healthy (low mycotoxins). Seems too good to be true.

I suggest cocoasupply.com because I have contacted them and they have very good control on the amount of mold in their cocoa beans and their cocoa beans are Arriba Naiconal which are the best. I by 10 pounds at a time of their cocoa powder and do excellently on it. I buy cocoa butter in bulk from anywhere since mycotoxins in the butter is consistently non-significant across the board

• And what exactly is wrong with Lindt??

Lindt consistently makes me feel sicky, I don't believe it is the small sugar content, I believe it is mycotoxins

• A doctor that I know, who obsesses about testing for mycotoxins says that matcha green tea is the only tea that tests good. The rest are moldy as hell. I don't have a specific source, but just something to "chew on".

I have been unable to find reliable information showing that green tea is moldy. I am very sensitive to mycotoxins and mold and always feel calm with green tea. Look up Pubmed about mycotoxins in green tea, you shouldn't be able to find anything.

• So I assume You can make BP Matcha Green tea with MCT&Butter?curious how the effects differ from BPC...thanks for info

I don't find tea tastes good with butter. I have butter with food. I only have tea with mct oil.

•  

1. Yerba Mate 

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Consumed from a gourd, yerba mate is the food of the gods. It contains three stimulants (caffeine, theophylline and theobromine) and provides an extended increase in mental performance without a subsequent crash. I credit thisbeverage with producing my first book. Pura vida!

Tim Ferriss http://observer.com/2013/07/remember-to-hydrate-with-tim-ferriss/