Low Quality Bacon. An Interesting Observation

Once a week, I try to ease off my extremist personality, by having some non green bp food. Yesterday, I had 3/4th a pound of low quality bacon. It's basically the only thing I did different. I mostly stick with organic produce and wild caught salmon/ grass fed meat. I woke up this morning and felt way off. After 15 minutes, I still felt tired. Since going bp and cutting back on exercise, I wake up like a champ. At one point, on my way to work, I was stopped at a 4 way light. It was red for the straight through traffic, but the turning lane, went green. Without a second thought, I went straight through and almost hit a car turning. This kind of stuff never happens to me. I am always cautious, and I wasn't running late. Since I have really cleaned up my diet, anything I eat, which is of lower quality, I feel it. After this experience, I am giving up on bacon, because I can't afford the grass fed variety. Anyone else notice hyper sensitivity to low quality foods, or foods with potential mold issues?

Comments

• Bacon, yes! I have a load of the stuff in my fridge because it was a great price. Since becoming keto-adapted i have been waking up every morning and stepping on the scale. Almost every morning the numbers have dropped a little. Except for the days following me eating any of the bacon. It is directly related since I have done this several times and seen the same results. Everything else I eat is BP. Weird! I don't NEED the bacon bad enough to splurge on the good stuff right now. I'll stick to eggs and butter, MCT oil, salmon and grass fed meats that are more affordable for me once I finish off this bacon I foolishly stalked up on. Or hubby will eat it. He's not quite converted yet image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

• Bacon, yes! I have a load of the stuff in my fridge because it was a great price. Since becoming keto-adapted i have been waking up every morning and stepping on the scale. Almost every morning the numbers have dropped a little. Except for the days following me eating any of the bacon. It is directly related since I have done this several times and seen the same results. Everything else I eat is BP. Weird! I don't NEED the bacon bad enough to splurge on the good stuff right now. I'll stick to eggs and butter, MCT oil, salmon and grass fed meats that are more affordable for me once I finish off this bacon I foolishly stalked up on. Or hubby will eat it. He's not quite converted yet image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Nice to see someone understanding. I've told people that eating low quality bacon, indirectly cause me to run a red light, through decreased cognitive function. They either laugh or think I am crazy. I am finding myself sensitive to many things, one being caffeine. I've avoided acknowledging this fact, but It's time to accept it. This sucks because, I purchased a 5lb bag of Dave's coffee after great success with it, but now I have some how become caffeine sensitive. Unless there is a possibility, I received a bad batch.
  • im soo guilty i ate a pound of baked "low quality" bacon yesteday with my cage free eggs.. .. ... even found a way to make a crispy version and a chewy version at the same time... .... for chewy .. lay it on a baking sheet.. for crispy put it in a cast iron pan... heat the over to 325 degrees and in about 25 min youre done... youll have to tune it to your oven but that is a good start... also you get all the drippings and left over bits off of both the pan and sheet... mmmm good

enjoy
  • 'That wrote:

Nice to see someone understanding. I've told people that eating low quality bacon, indirectly cause me to run a red light, through decreased cognitive function. They either laugh or think I am crazy. I am finding myself sensitive to many things, one being caffeine. I've avoided acknowledging this fact, but It's time to accept it. This sucks because, I purchased a 5lb bag of Dave's coffee after great success with it, but now I have some how become caffeine sensitive. Unless there is a possibility, I received a bad batch.
    So many ways in which a bad diet can kill you!! I wonder how many accidents are actually caused by driving under the influence of bad food. Probably most of them!
  • ThatOneGuy, your powers of self-awareness are awesome. That's exactly what low quality bacon does to you; it makes you foggy, especially when you are used to feeling 100%. You can get that from lots of low quality foods, but bacon is particularly bad because it combines nitrosamines, HCA, myctoxins, oxidized fats, and biogenic amines.

But good bacon, cured properly, from healthy animals, properly cooked, is close to a religious experience, especially when you put it on top of grass-fed beef. I still enjoy bacon, but I'm as picky about my bacon as I am about my coffee.
  • edited July 2012
    Can someone point me in the direction of where to get good bacon? Where do I start looking?
  • BizBuzz, you'd probably have better luck at a meat shop than a general supermarket.  Or you can cure your own.