Freezing Coffee, Defrost, And Drink. Hows The Quality Now?

Just saw this article on freezing coffee:

http://www.elizabethannedesigns.com/living/2009/09/29/iced-coffee-anyone/

I'm on a bulking diet and my plan is to prepare as much meals as possible on Sundays. Seems like this would be a big timer saver.

I'm actually thinking of freezing these in small mason jars and stacking 14 (2 coffees a day) in my freezer. 

Strong coffee + whey protein in a mason jar is a convenient way to do a shaker bottle. Coffee works great with whey too because it hides a lot of the taste of whey (which i don't like). 

Plus i got in this weird habit of putting used mason jars and tupperware, after eating the food from them, back into my big chest freezer (with a lot of extra room) and doing the dishes once a month while watching a movie(no dishwasher). Same way i like to do my laundry. 

What do you guys think...of this whole idea in general and i guess how the quality of the coffee would be affected through freezing and defrosting? 

Comments

• I've got my first bag of coffee that I've got in the freezer, not needed it yet, so I'll be following this thread ;-)

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• Brewing and then freezing. Not freezing the beans.

In that article I linked to, the person froze brewed coffee in ice cube trays. 

• That sounds revolting.

• Yeah it's the reheating that wreaks the taste of coffee.  I never buy a coffee maker where the coffee sits on a burner, instead a thermos.  If you wanted to have ice coffee maybe this is not such a bad idea.

• For my bulking purposes, the ice coffee is just a quick and bearable way to knock down some whey protein. I'll still enjoy a nice warm cup when i have the time. 

I think I'll just freeze the coffee in mason jars, set it in a bowl of warm water, and let it slowly melt instead of microwaving it. 

Another way that might be good if you're doing the coffee cubes is to pour warm (not boiling) water in a thermos for 5 minutes to warm it up, dump the water out, and then drop your cubes in there. The trick would be to melt it just enough so that you have 50% liquid and 50% ice left. 

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭

Plus i got in this weird habit of putting used mason jars and tupperware, after eating the food from them, back into my big chest freezer (with a lot of extra room) and doing the dishes once a month while watching a movie(no dishwasher). Same way i like to do my laundry. 

=====

Doing the dishes once a month! This is the ultimate lazy man achievement, love it!

I don't see anything wrong with what you want to do with the coffee and whey. Just thaw it out and drink it down while its cold. Perfect!

• Ya, for people in apartments with no dishwashers, just cover up your dishes and freeze them in a chest freezer. Tupperware works best. For anything big like plates or knives, get a big tupperware container and just toss it all in there. Even if you do your dishes once a week or once every 2 weeks, it's a big time saver.