The Affects Of Mct And Coconut Oil, Do They Wear Off?

I've been drinking Bulletproof coffee for a little over a month.  I started slow with just a teaspoon of coconut oil and a teaspoon of butter.  By the end of the week I had increased to to 2 TB of coconut oil and and 4 TB of butter.  At the beginning even with the small amounts I noticed a profound difference.  I had plenty of energy, better sleep, better more regular BMs, and no cravings till dinner.  The results were so good that I ordered the upgraded MCT and began using that instead of the coconut oil.  However, as time went on, my sleep is terrible, i'm no longer as regular, and I have no more energy.  I still feel satisfied till dinner, but all the other affects are gone.  I used to feel my body temperature rise too, but not anymore.  I even tried going back to the coconut oil instead, but still no change.  I've been eating bullet proof also.  Anyway, this is how I've been making my coffee; 16oz coffee using 2 TB of upgraded Coffee, 4-6TB KerryGold Unsalted butter, and 2 TB upgraded MCT oil, and a 1/4tsp of upgraded vanilla.

Please help me understand what happened here and how I can get back on the right track.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Well this could be quite a number of things but if anything your body should become more accustomed to healthy fats and burning them. So no you shouldn't be building any kind of tolerance here. You may very well be building up a tolerance to caffeine / coffee though. Not much you can do about this except drink more of it! This would also be a good time to note that I don't think you are using very much coffee. I use 3-4 TB of BP coffee in just 12oz of water and I use a French press. Is your diet too lacking in carbs? Try carb back loading and you may notice an energy improvement.

• Well this could be quite a number of things but if anything your body should become more accustomed to healthy fats and burning them. So no you shouldn't be building any kind of tolerance here. You may very well be building up a tolerance to caffeine / coffee though. Not much you can do about this except drink more of it! This would also be a good time to note that I don't think you are using very much coffee. I use 3-4 TB of BP coffee in just 12oz of water and I use a French press. Is your diet too lacking in carbs? Try carb back loading and you may notice an energy improvement.

Thanks for your reply, I use a French press too, I will try adding more coffee.  Also, I thought of taking a day of eating more carbs, I added sweet potatoes and a couple extra servings of fruit.  A couple weeks later I decided I'd try two days in a row of adding more carbs but there was no noticeable difference.  Also, what is more distressing to me is that my sleep is terrible where when I started this it had been as good as it was in years.  That alone excited me about the BPC.  At risk of sounding disgusting, I have never had very regular or normal BMs and this also was a first in many years.  Currently I feel the same as I ever did before the BPC.

Anyway, thanks for your response.  I'll try adding more coffee and see how it feels.

• I've been drinking Bulletproof coffee for a little over a month.  I started slow with just a teaspoon of coconut oil and a teaspoon of butter.  By the end of the week I had increased to to 2 TB of coconut oil and and 4 TB of butter.  At the beginning even with the small amounts I noticed a profound difference.  I had plenty of energy, better sleep, better more regular BMs, and no cravings till dinner.  The results were so good that I ordered the upgraded MCT and began using that instead of the coconut oil.  However, as time went on, my sleep is terrible, i'm no longer as regular, and I have no more energy.  I still feel satisfied till dinner, but all the other affects are gone.  I used to feel my body temperature rise too, but not anymore.  I even tried going back to the coconut oil instead, but still no change.  I've been eating bullet proof also.  Anyway, this is how I've been making my coffee; 16oz coffee using 2 TB of upgraded Coffee, 4-6TB KerryGold Unsalted butter, and 2 TB upgraded MCT oil, and a 1/4tsp of upgraded vanilla.

Please help me understand what happened here and how I can get back on the right track.

Thanks in advance

You might not be getting the same about of healthy fat that you once did. I switch up my coffee almost everyday by using 2tb of mct 2 tb of butter and 1-2 spoon fulls of coconut oil. Sometimes I even throw in upgraded collagen if I worked out the day before. I'd recommend just adding back the coconut oil. I did get a bad bottle of mct oil once and made me feel terrible....

• edited August 2013

You might not be getting the same about of healthy fat that you once did. I switch up my coffee almost everyday by using 2tb of mct 2 tb of butter and 1-2 spoon fulls of coconut oil. Sometimes I even throw in upgraded collagen if I worked out the day before. I'd recommend just adding back the coconut oil. I did get a bad bottle of mct oil once and made me feel terrible....

Wow, that's interesting.  How did you know it was a bad bottle of MCT, aside from not feeling good?

• I've been drinking Bulletproof coffee for a little over a month.  I started slow with just a teaspoon of coconut oil and a teaspoon of butter.  By the end of the week I had increased to to 2 TB of coconut oil and and 4 TB of butter.  At the beginning even with the small amounts I noticed a profound difference.  I had plenty of energy, better sleep, better more regular BMs, and no cravings till dinner.  The results were so good that I ordered the upgraded MCT and began using that instead of the coconut oil.  However, as time went on, my sleep is terrible, i'm no longer as regular, and I have no more energy.  I still feel satisfied till dinner, but all the other affects are gone.  I used to feel my body temperature rise too, but not anymore.  I even tried going back to the coconut oil instead, but still no change.  I've been eating bullet proof also.  Anyway, this is how I've been making my coffee; 16oz coffee using 2 TB of upgraded Coffee, 4-6TB KerryGold Unsalted butter, and 2 TB upgraded MCT oil, and a 1/4tsp of upgraded vanilla.

Thanks in advance

You need to look elsewere than the BPC to determine why you're geting poor sleep and irregularity. Your measures of the BPC look fine and yes, with time, your body will adjust to healthy fats and the effects of feeling good all the time. Your problems are almost certainly dieted related or a food allergy of some sort. This is why keeping a food log/journal is so important, because obviously this hasn't always been happening, so that means it started somewhere. Having that information at this stage of your progress is so important, and it would also help those experts on here diagnose and/or troubleshoot your problems much faster than taking a shot in the dark with the limited information that has been given.