Non-Whey Protein Powder Alternatives

My wife is concerned she doesn't tolerate whey protein well...what are the next best alternatives for her to put in a morning smoothie?

- pea protein?

- rice protein?

- hemp protein?

I'm trying to get her to try the True Whey I got from Source Naturals to see if that is better for her than the Natural Factors whey I had before.

Honestly, I'm not sure how rigorous her N-1 is on not tolerating whey, but still, I'd like to offer her the "best alternative" if possible. She's struggling with getting enough protein in her diet and doesn't like eating a ton of eggs or pork products. She's only 115lbs, so the requirement is pretty low anyway, but she's not one who is going to cook up a steak or ground-beef for breakfast. And she knows enough to stay away from soy.

Not to go into it too far, but she had laser ablation surgery for paroxysmal supra ventricular tachycardia last year and is just now really putting some concerted effort into returning to better health, while still being a bit sensitive to anything that makes her heart feel "weird"...stimulants, etc.

And no, I can't get her to just crack a few raw eggs in her smoothies yet either...

Comments

• Good question. I have no idea of the relative "cleanliness" from a Bulletproof perspective of the other types of powdered proteins. I suspect egg white protein is too damaged.

But why is she too low on protein? It seems like it is not hard even with my uber-fat BP protocol to hit 50g per day or more. Don't worry about the smoothies being a necessary protein vehicle and just eat some more meat later in the day...? More beef!
  • I hear ya; but that will take a bit more convincing to do. She's a smart cookie, but she needs to come to it on her own...and she's pretty overwhelmed right now with school and other stuff going on, so there isn't a lot of room for researching to the point it'll take to undo the conventional wisdom.

Anywho, she got some Source Naturals pea protein today. Hopefully that will do ok...
  • 'dpwdan' wrote:

I hear ya; but that will take a bit more convincing to do. She's a smart cookie, but she needs to come to it on her own...and she's pretty overwhelmed right now with school and other stuff going on, so there isn't a lot of room for researching to the point it'll take to undo the conventional wisdom.

Anywho, she got some Source Naturals pea protein today. Hopefully that will do ok...

Whether or not it is 'kosher' on BP or Paleo or whatever, I really like the flavor of hemp seeds. I wonder if they are better than extracted protein in powder form.
  • I like and eat hemp seeds daily. PUFAs are high, I know, but they are the only thing that seem to soothe the raging repetitive motion pain in my hands and bonus help hormonal mood shifts.

the hemp butter is REALLY green tasting, and the hemp protein I had before was pretty nasty, but that was years ago during a vegan stint, so maybe its tasty now?

I have protein absorption issues and have a hard time finding a protein powder without sweeteners and/or soy. boo.
  • Build your own protein here: http://www.truenutrition.com/p-1126-custom-mix.aspx

I like them and have bought 2x 10lb orders (for a baking project - I don't eat that much!!!). You can add any additives like flavor/sweetener/supplements you want by the percentage, combine protein blends, etc etc etc. It's really handy. They even have 5 kinds of whey, and beef protein is an option. Whoa.

No, I'm not an affiliate. Yet. image/icon_e_wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';-)' />
  • dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭

"Non-Whey Protein Powder Alternatives"

if the alternative to whey protein is non-whey protein...does that mean that the alternative to non-whey protein is whey protein...!

(sorry, just being obtuse).

fake it till you make it