Going On A Cruise...should I Be A Vegetarian For A Week?

Hi! My family is going on a cruise to Alaska and we won't have access to ANYTHING organic (I've never actually be on a cruise, but this is my assumption). Would it be better to stay away from conventional meats? We plan on eating wild salmon, but if we want to eat meat, what is the best of the conventional to eat? Lamb?

Any other bulletproof tips for a cruise? 

Thanks!

Comments

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
    As long as you remove all of the fat from the conventional meat you'll be fine, lamb is maybe the best choice if its New Zealand.
    My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • Dave mentioned that he takes activated charcoal when he goes out to eat at restaurants that serve non-grassfed meat. Activated charcoal is dirt cheap, in case you were wondering.  :-P

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

Take along some of your own butter to put on top of everything too.

• Hey fellow Pacific Northwesterner :)

Green salads and vegetables.  They may not be organic but might be some of the better foods.  You might be able to get olive oil and vinegar for dressing.

Enjoy your cruise!

Mary

• Depends on the cruise company. Steve Maxwell is of the opinion that MSC Cruises serve perfect food.

I went with Norwegian Epic to the Caribbean. It was an absolute disaster.

I would love to welcome you on my new page: www.soul-smoothies.com 

• I want to go on a cruise
  • StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress
    www.vacationstogo.com
  • OceanRayOceanRay
    edited August 2013

I want to go on a cruise

LOL am guessing you've never been on one. 

Cruise ships park across from where I sit. They look okay from a distance, but up close you see they are floating prisons for the old and middle-aged. 

cruiseship--.png

• An abundance of salmon doesn't sound too bad to me. You should be able to find many different seafood options on a cruise and I'd imagine most of them would be wild caught. I'd also imagine that your server would know off the top of his head if it was or not. I know Celebrity cruise is known for their food. At least to me. :) The quality was impeccable compared to other big name companies I've cruised with. Imagine all the different people who go on a cruise everyday. You have to have a lot of options for those people. I bet you could find some great stuff. On top of that, once you're actually in Alaska, I'm sure you could find some amazing and different wild game options. If no grass-fed meat, Pescatarian for a week won't kill ya. Enjoy. 

MrHerget.com

Instagram: @MrHerget

Twitter: @MrHerget

Email: Art@MrHerget.com

• Awww man. You haven't been on the right cruise than. What a great way to travel they are. 

Cruise ships park across from where I sit. They look okay from a distance, but up close you see they are floating prisons for the old and middle-aged. 

cruiseship--.png

MrHerget.com

Instagram: @MrHerget

Twitter: @MrHerget

Email: Art@MrHerget.com

• Im leaving in a few days for a cruise to Mexico for 5 days. Has anyone successfully brought butter or anything else on board? Im planning to eat a lot of veggies, bring my charcoal and try to stay hydrated. Any other tips? I've never cruised before and really don't want to spend it feeling not bulletproof!

Thanks,

Mercy

• Cruiser42Cruiser42 Want to look like this again - or BETTER!

cruiseship--.png

Harsh!  I LOVE cruising and do it twice a year!  It will be different this year because of being BP,  but I'm planning on taking butter, charcoal, and brain octane oil.  I expect to need to detox when I get home, and I also know I'm going to have a blast. 

Bon Voyage !

Lisa

• I worked as a drummer on a few cruise ships for while. I can personally tell you from a behind the scenes standpoint: bring as much of your own protein sources as you can. In port in Alaska you'll be golden. Fresh wild salmon galore. On board I would avoid all seafood, someone mentioned the possibility of wild caught seafood on board which is not true. Good luck!!

• Hey fellow Pacific Northwesterner :)

Green salads and vegetables.  They may not be organic but might be some of the better foods.  You might be able to get olive oil and vinegar for dressing.

Enjoy your cruise!

You are right on the cruise than

• You're going on a cruise, do whatever you want.

• If you are going vegetarian what are you going to use to satiate your appetite?  My guess is it will end up being carbs.

So, you need to ask; which is worse: carb-ing up or eating meats of questionable quality?

I travel extensively on business and accept the fact that not every restaurant will have grass fed beef, wild salmon, or organic chicken.  I seek it out when I can, but it is not possible everywhere I go.  That is why I also bring along supplements to support detoxification as well as activated charcoal.  Personally, I'd rather focus on being low carb than forgo meat/fish/poultry.