Rancid Mct Oil?

I started the bulletproof diet in February 2012, and bought my first MCT oil then. When I first had it, there was almost no flavor at all. I've stored it in my pantry. A couple months later I feel there is a strong (bad) taste to the oil. If I didn't know better, I'd say it had gone rancid.

Is that possible? Did I store it incorrectly? Do I need to consume it more quickly?

I also suppose I could be just imagining things, so I figured I'd ask now for some clarity. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
Tagged:

Comments

• if it tastes off don't eat it but use it for your skin.
  • edited January 2013
    Bumping this topic, I just got three bottles of 400ml Olimp MCT oil, and have very subtle but still olfactory distinct feta or goaty smell to it. Taste in and of it self it completely neutral.

I had one tbs last night, and drinking my bulletproof coffee with it right now. I have a feeling that my first bottle (same brand) did not smell. However, it has not expired (expires in 2014), and most articles I found via google suggests that MCT oil is very stable unless heated or used for frying.. Further... Looking at some more facts:

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Olimp MCT Oil Supplement Facts:[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Serving Size: 1 spoon (14g)[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Servings Per Container: 27[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Amount Per Serving:[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Calories 485.7 kJ / 116.2 kcal [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Protein 0 g [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Caproic Acid (C6:0) 0.28 g [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Caprylic Acid (C8:0) 7.0 - 9.1 g[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Capric Acid (C10:0) 4.2 - 6.3 g [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Lauric Acid (C12:0) 0.42 g[/font]

That's a hell of a lot of Capricorn inspired chemicals image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Caprylic acid is the common name for the eight-carbon saturated fatty acid known by the systematic name octanoic acid. It is found naturally in the milk of various mammals, and it is a minor constituent of coconut oil and palm kernel oil.[3] It is an oily liquid that is minimally soluble in water with a slightly unpleasant rancid-like smell and taste.[1]

Decanoic acid, or capric acid, is a saturated fatty acid. Its formula is CH3(CH2)8COOH. Salts and esters of decanoic acid are called decanoates or "caprates". The term capric acid arises from the Latin "capr[3]ic" which pertains to goats due to their olfactory similarities.

Capric acid occurs naturally in coconut oil (about 10%) and palm kernel oil (about 4%), otheriwse it is uncommon in typical seed oils.[4] It is found in the milk of various mammals and to a lesser extent in other animal fats.[2]

Two other acids are named after goats: caproic (a C6 fatty acid) and caprylic (a C8 fatty acid). Along with decanoic acid, these total 15% in goat milk fat.

Hexanoic acid (caproic acid), is the carboxylic acid derived from hexane with the general formula C5H11COOH. It is a colorless oily liquid with an odor that is fatty, cheesy, waxy, and like that of goats[1] or other barnyard animals. It is a fatty acid found naturally in various animal fats and oils, and is one of the chemicals that give the decomposing fleshy seed coat of the ginkgo its characteristic unpleasant odor.[3] The primary use of hexanoic acid is in the manufacture of its esters for artificial flavors, and in the manufacture of hexyl derivatives, such as hexylphenols.[1]

(Source: wikipedia.org)

Underlines added.. I think I'm going to trust the expiry date on the bottles so far.. But would greatly appreciate any comments or objections image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
  • My first bottle of this stuff has a slightly "off" taste, even though I got it about a month ago - oddly enough I've been getting diarrhea a lot when I was taking 3 tablespoons daily in the morning with my butter.  Fast forward - I order two more bottles, a replacement for home because I am almost out and one for work.  I just tap into the one I ordered for work and it tastes good, almost a bit nutty (very slight).  Could my first bottle of this stuff been bad?

• OdiOdi
    edited May 2013

Similar thing happened to me! My first bottle of MCT was the Olimp kind, and I recall it tasted a bit strange, which I maybe didn't reflect too much upon as I had nothing to compare with. However when I got more Olimp bottles that had a more pleasant taste, I started to think whether the first one had been bad. It hasn't happened since the first one though.