Beef From Cattle Reared On A 'forage Based Diet'.

Hey y'all

Ideally I would like to buy grass-fed beef but it can be difficult to come by (and expensive).

Some of the high end supermarkets in the UK sell beef from 'cattle reared on a forage based diet'. Do you than that would be an ok alternative to grass-fed?

Thanks

Comments

• That sounds fishy to me. What is forage? I would keep looking for a beef supplier. See if you can find somewhere to buy suet from a grass fed cow. Cooking conventional beef in the fat of a grass fed cow will get you closer.
  • Do you render the suet (to make tallow) before cooking with it?  If so, does that compromise (oxidize) the fats in the suet?  Thanks for any advice!

• Companies that sell genuine grass-fed meat are proud of it. They WILL tell you loud and clear.

Companies that hide behind all these other [email protected]#%! words to confuse and mislead the consumer are utter scum.

• FORAGE: green leafy plants, grass or alfalfa hay ONLY.
  • "Companies that sell genuine grass-fed meat are proud of it. They WILL tell you loud and clear.

Companies that hide behind all these other [email protected]#%! words to confuse and mislead the consumer are utter scum."

Yes, if it's 100% grass-fed I'm sure they will boast that clearly.  However, "pastured" or "pasture-raised" or "reared only on forage" is not necessarily sub-standard.  Grass-fed, while improving fat composition of the animal can have its downsides, in that grass-fed does not necessarily have to mean the cows are raised on open pasture.  You can raise your cow on grass in a feedlot.  "Pasture-raised," by contrast, requires free roaming on a pasture (not sure what the criteria are though for amount of space and length of time allowed on open pasture to be allowed these labels...).  Even if that pasture has some alfalfa or hay or even some grain I think it's important both for humane implications and for the health/well-being of the animal (which effects the quality of their meat) that cows have access to open pasture their entire lives.