Is Bulletproof...killing Me...?

Strict Paleo since 2/11. Went off statins and blood work looked great.

I began BP Coffee (butter and MCT Oil) in Nov., 2011 and ever since then, my lipids have been moving through the roof. See below:

date-total cholestrol/HDL/LDL/Tri

12/11-247/96/136/59

3/12-301/83/200/70

6/12-329/75/236/84

These are all VAP tests.

Everything is moving in the wrong direction! Doctor, who's cool with Paleo, is beating the statin drum.

I just found this article:

http://www.ajcn.org/content/79/4/564.full

Maybe I simply can't tolerate MCT/butter?

Anyone have any similar experience in using butter and MCT oil? Thoughts on what is going on...?

Totally bummed here. I guess it's time to take out the MCT oil and butter and retest in 3 month. Dang...

Possible caution to others?

I don't know.....

Comments

• I'm not a doctor; but man, if I was in your N-1, I would have changed things up a long time ago. Are you doing the RapidFatLoss, or just having BP coffee in the AM and a more normal paleo diet the rest of the day? Whatever the case, you may be the six-sigma outlier who this totally doesn't work for...and in which case, could probably stand to work with a credible naturopath or some such...depending on where you are in your overall health journey. Dave's stuff is not a one-size-fits-all prescription...we all need to experiment and trust our own bodies to a certain extent...
  • What butter are you using? Kerrygold?

Also when is your next meal usually after the BPC?
  • 'Larry' wrote:

Strict Paleo since 2/11. Went off statins and blood work looked great.

I began BP Coffee (butter and MCT Oil) in Nov., 2011 and ever since then, my lipids have been moving through the roof. See below:

date-total cholestrol/HDL/LDL/Tri

12/11-247/96/136/59

3/12-301/83/200/70

6/12-329/75/236/84

These are all VAP tests.

Everything is moving in the wrong direction! Doctor, who's cool with Paleo, is beating the statin drum.

I just found this article:

http://www.ajcn.org/...t/79/4/564.full

Maybe I simply can't tolerate MCT/butter?

Anyone have any similar experience in using butter and MCT oil? Thoughts on what is going on...?

Totally bummed here. I guess it's time to take out the MCT oil and butter and retest in 3 month. Dang...

Possible caution to others?

I don't know.....

"Strict paleo" doesn't mean anything towards figuring out what's up with your cholesterol.

What else have you been eating? What's are your macronutrient ratios, typically? Are you exercising at all? What's your usual meal frequency, and do you eat the same macro ratio at every meal, or otherwise?
  • HDL is great.

LDL is so-so, depending on the particle size.

Triglycerides are a red flag. Still not alarmingly high, but the increase is alarming. Typically you would see that steady out or fall, even with the other numbers rising if doing a pretty strict BP Diet.

Further info needed...
    Life is one giant experiment.
  • Kerrygold butter. Grass fed beef. BPC carries me through to lunch, when spinacn/salmon is the normal fare. Burst cardio and weights daily. 50-90 gm. of carbs a day, no sugar. Food quality is always the goal.
  • BrianHKerrBrianHKerr Quantified Biohacker
    When I started adding a considerable amount of fats to my diet, I made sure to lower sugar intake, but also to eat 2-4 avocados a day to be sure the new intake of fats was accompanied by lots of good cholesterol.

Do what others suggested by first ensuring you are using good butter... not all butter is created equal... then look at the rest of what you are eating... I have a feeling you added fats, without regarding the types of fats or quantities. The rise in triglycerides concerns me. Take a look at exercise patterns over the course of the rise, the amounts of fructose/sugar/alcohol during that time, as well as any hormone panel changes.
  • I'm only new to BP coffee/diet, but I remember reading in one of Dave Asprey's articles regarding butter and/or dairy, and that some people have a problem with butter. He mentioned/suggested 'Ghee' as an alternative to those that don't tolerate butter too well and the science behind why. This could be something to look into. Sorry, can't put my finger on the article. You'll have to troll his articles. Don't know if this is any help.

Cheers.
  • Hi. I've been listening to BP podcasts and found mention of those whose bodies have trouble dealing with dairy for BP coffee. Ghee is definitely mentioned as an alternative. The Podcast No. is #3 'Hacking Fatigue with Tim Noakes'. It's mentioned around the 1hr 10min time in the podcast.

Hope that helps! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • Mark Sisson gives some reasons why this may be the case - I doubt they will apply to you but good article anyway:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-did-my-cholesterol-go-up-after-going-primal/#axzz1yqLhcC67