Cold Brew Convert

LarryLarry
edited August 2013 in Bulletproof Coffee

I've enjoyed my coffee for decades and appreciate an excellent cup.

I recently tried the cold brew/Toddy system and I simply won't go back...to Aeropress...to Breville...to any other hot brewing system.

The cold brewed coffee is so smooth....so much less acid....

And mixing up a BF cup is easy. 

1/3 mug filled with cold brew concentrate, butter and MCT oil....I add a litte cocoa too for a mocha blend...microwave 45 seconds...then whip it up with a frother and it gets a nice frothy head...

then just fill the rest of the cup with cold water (the froth floats to the top...), heat another 45 seconds and it's done.

Delicious.

The reduced acid content is palpable...

Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Wondering if Dave's given cold brew a shot...????

Comments

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

Some cafes around Sydney sell this kind of brew, its really nice! I'd say due to the lack of heating it would probably be more BP, but curious to know whether you get the same amount of extraction of all the good stuff out of the grind.

• Stick ground coffee in a container for a week with filtered water?

Something like this: http://www.greenbeanery.ca/bean/catalog/-p-13917.html?osCsid=pqsdffer

Iced water drips through at a slow rate. Takes about 8 hours.
  • There is also the Hario V60 Fretta, which has an ice tower below the bottom opening of the cone dripper.  You use hot water so full oil & flavour extraction from the beans but then immediately cooled drop by drop.  I have not yet tried mixing butter & mct oil with this, but I do like the more complex flavours over my Toddy cold press.

• i did a cold press last night in the aeropress.  its awesome.

basically did two scoops of coffee, did a course grind on them.

had a metal filter, then a paper filter, then coffee, then another paper filter.

put water up to level 4, popped the plunger on so it keeps it from dripping through.

chucked it in the fridge over night.

took the plunger out and let it drip through slowly (about 5 minutes or so) then pressed it down.

its enough for two shots of coffee and tastes much nicer.

then i add the mct oil, butter and non homogenised milk and warm in the mic for a little bit then blend with the milk frother.

genius.

• I'd bypass the microwave for sure.  One thing goes in and something totally different comes out.  Kind of a waste of raw milk for sure.  When I use raw cream i only use cold coffee and drink it cold as well. 

• I'd bypass the microwave for sure.  One thing goes in and something totally different comes out.  

Do you have a link to support this assertion, that somehow heating something via microwave for less than a minute is fundamentally different than heating via other methods?

• i like my coffee hot, deal with it.

• I get a headache any time a microwave goes on near me.

Do you have a link to support this assertion, that somehow heating something via microwave for less than a minute is fundamentally different than heating via other methods?

• which, with respect to my question, means precisely nothing.

• there is zero "rea" evidence to support the fear of microwaves that encapsulates this forum at times. I find it funny that a forum that basis its diet so strongly on real science falls for the pseudo microwave fear mongering.

And in regards to getting headaches from simply being near a running microwave ..............

i like my coffee hot, deal with it.

=====

I can't. I'm trying, but I really can't :-(

• Everything has it's place and use, want to heat up a liquid? go for it, interested in cooking food optimally? use something else or use the microwave on the lowest setting.

I think this is very well put. 

When I make my BPC in the morning, I then put it in the microwave for 15 seconds on the highest setting. I've yet to see any data that leads me to conclude this is fundamentally "damaging" the BPC in a way that putting it into a sauce pan and heating it up wouldn't also do. I'm not saying such data doesn't exist, but if it does, I've yet to see it.

In general, I think what Jason writes above is good advice for ANY cooking method. The lower the heat and the less the internal temp of the food, the better. Heat in general seems to damage stuff. Less is more.

• when you heat your BPC up in the microwave does it have butter/mct? i wonder if the high heat effects the fats at all...

• Myself always need hot coffee :-P which gives me so comfortable to work on full day