Cold Brew Convert

2»

Comments

• edited March 2014

Yeah I went and did a little more research since I posted that. This one on the Mercola website has the most citations for the information that they have. He does go out on a limb couple of times with some stuff that only has anecdotal evidence. Most of it is cited, actual research. But you don't have to make any excuses if you want to choose convenience over health that's your business. I'm just trying to help you and the other people on this forum to make informed choices.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/05/18/microwave-hazards.aspx

• edited April 2014

On one of the Ben Greenfield healthy home podcasts Jack Kruse suggested that most microwaves leak radiation. No idea about accuracy of claims - might explain head ache though. http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2013/12/building-a-healthy-home/

• Do any of you own one of these cold brew towers?

http://coffeegeek.com/guides/icedcoffee

I think they look great but if my mom ever came over and saw it I would have a hard time convincing her that it is not part of my meth lab. Even then she would still want to invite the rest of the family over for my coffee intervention. 

Not to mention I might have to sell meth just to afford it.

• haha, just get the Toddy "system" for like $35. 

Seriously, this thing makes amazing coffee. Haven't used my Aeropress or Bonavita since we got it. Wife agrees, just a far superior cup.

• I also switched to cold brew from an Aeropress.  It just tastes better.  I use a Hario Cold Brew Coffee Pot I got on Amazon (Cut & Paste is not working or I would post a link).  In the morning I take it out of the frig, put it in a pot and heat it to 140 degrees.  I don't ever use a microwave.  I believe it does alter the food and also leaks radiation/EMF.  I had an "environmental biologist" tell me that she can stand on the other side of the house with her meter and when the microwave is turned on the meter "screams".  Not sure if it is radiation or EMF though.  She was mainly testing EMF at my house.

• I just got my Aeropress though. I haven't even had it for a month yet (well maybe two months). But really I just use it to filter out the cold brew anyway. My set up is pretty ghetto. Through enough finely ground coffee into a jar of cold water for two cups, put the lid on it, and throw it in the fridge for about 24 hours. Then the next morning I use my aeropress to squeeze the last drop of goodness out of it. 

I still think you guys should try the iced coffee made with "get some" ice cream cubes (cold of course). I think I'm going to modify the recipe though. Basically make a small batch without any xylitol or vanilla in it. Then use those cubes on the days that I work out. I worry that the xylitol and vanilla might be messing up my intermittent fasting... Will see I still have to run out of the batch that I all ready made. The stuff I have now has xylitol, cinnamon, and upgraded chocolate powder in it. Makes for a tasty iced coffee.

• This thread convinced me to try the Toddy system.  I agree, it makes a great cup of coffee.  

There is a coffee shop in the city I used to work in, and they had the best iced coffee I've ever had.  Last year I asked them what they did differently than other coffee shops to make their iced coffee taste so much better than everyone else. They showed me their setup and it was basically a giant version of the Toddy system.  They would steep their ground coffee overnight in a large vat and funnel and filter in the morning.  I've been missing their iced coffee since I don't work near them anymore.  So after I bought the Toddy, I made my first batch using the same coffee beans this shop used to make their iced coffee (Counter Culture La Golondrina).  It turned out excellent, just as good as I remembered it from their shop.  

• awesome, another convert.

I ran out of Toddy-produced concentrate, hadn't made the new batch yet so made a morning cup with the Aeropress and then a pot later for me and my wife with the Bonita. Both make a very good cup of coffee, but the Toddy just makes it better.

• Like with most things on the Internet, you can find arguments and studies to support both sides of the argument on microwaves. Personally I choose to take dave's advice and not use a microwave.

http://www.mercola.com/article/microwave/hazards2.htm

Do you have a link to support this assertion, that somehow heating something via microwave for less than a minute is fundamentally different than heating via other methods?

• Heating itself seems to be a significant factor. Most foods will change properties when heated sufficiently, whether in a pot on the stove or in a microwave.

The difference of the microwave oven is that the radio waves excite the food at a molecular level. That is, the heat isn't transfered from a heat source and spread evenly into the food during the cooking process. Microwaving works more from the inside out, rather than from the outside in. I could see how this process could easily inadvertantly heat specific molecules beyond a point where damage is done, in a way that would take much longer with a radiant heat source.

As regards the microwave "radiation" itself, this is something where many people easily confuse the term "radiation" with its similar use in nuclear applications, which is like comparing apples to oranges as far as the scientific side goes. We are all exposed to microwave radiation everyday from radio towers operating in those frequencies and from the natural environment. Focused microwave energy will excite water molecules and other molecules that respond to that particular radio wavelength (making them vibrate faster) and this produces heat as a by-product.

I am enjoying my cold pressed coffee in the mornings now. Though my initial attempt was a near disaster as I hadn't heated the liquid adequately to allow the butter and oils to become soluable. I ended up with a lump of butter and coconut oil solids spinning around in the blender with the cold coffee.

Since cold brewing I've been "nuking" my butter and coconut oil in the microwave for thirty seconds to melt it, then adding hot water from the tap before adding my coffee from the fridge. This does the trick for keeping the butter and oil liquid and mixing well, yet leaving me with a cool temperature coffee drink that I desire. However, I now realize how this process may be damaging to some of the nutrients in those substances.

I'll probably look into other ways to melt things after reading the article posted above, as it makes sense to do so, and the testing seems to indicate that heating with the microwave probably excites the molecular structure too much, too fast, and damages some of the important little things inside. Much the same way baking a potato for an hour creates hundreds of new compounds that did not exist in the raw product. The way I understand it, the aspect of heat is the root cause of the problem, not "radiation" per se, only how and where the heat is being applied.

Using a microwave on water is probably safe, as there is no nutrient value to be damaged. I may nuke up a bowl of water and set my cup with butter and coconut oil in that to melt it. I'm looking for a way to simplify the morning ritual as much as possible and keeping cleanup minimal, while still getting the full benefit of the BPC ingredients.

If anyone has other ideas of how to accomplish mixing all the ingredients to leave a cool to ambient temp drink, while keeping the dirtied dishes to a minimum, I'm all ears.

• I make my coffee hot for the fresh BP Coffee blend in the morning. I make more than I need which allows me to pour the rest in ice cube trays.

Then on mornings that I don't have time for a BP Coffee, I'll mix coffee ice cubes with protein powder* (1 tbsp. of cappuccino mix for flavor), chilled coffee, and MCT oil all in a blender to make an awesome Caffeine-Protein Blended shake.

*1 scoop of Muscle Milk Vanilla & 1 scoop GNC Wheybolic 60 = ~50 grams protein.

I'm working a 2000-0400 shift tonight and blended one up at the beginning. I will be alert and get my protein.

Does anybody know if there is a difference in health benefits between hot coffee and chilled coffee?

• Chiming in as an existing convert.  You can even just get a french press and let it steep overnight.  You'll go through coffee a lot faster though, as generally it is 3/4 cup of grounds per liter.  This is what I use and I do right around 2 cups of beans for each batch:

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-French-Press-Coffeemaker-51-Ounce/dp/B003NG922U/ref=sr_1_1/178-9715892-1774604?ie=UTF8&qid=1397757473&sr=8-1&keywords=bodum+cold+press

• This thread is tempting me more and more to order one of those. Did we ever figure out if any other the tertiary benefits are lost my making a concentrate and not consuming it immediately?
  • Made a batch of this last week. I did just as the yankeeprepper did in his video, and used cheesecloth to strain it. Was really really tasty. yes you go through more coffee, but it is more concentrated so you dont need as much.

• edited April 2014
    I make my coffee hot for the fresh BP Coffee blend in the morning. I make more than I need which allows me to pour the rest in ice cube trays.

If I'm understanding this, you are putting the BP coffee (coffee, butter, oil) in the ice cube trays. Correct?

That's kinda brilliant actually and led me to imagine putting it in one of those DIY popcicle trays. Then sucking on a BP Popcicle in the Summertime!

To solve the issue with mixing up the cold brew in the morning I'm heating the water in the microwave (I can see no harm in that) and then blending the water with the butter and oil.

Lastly, I pour in some Cold Brew Coffee and blend it all together.

This is working well for me, though it still comes out hotter than I would prefer. More experimenting to be done with microwave timing and amount of water till I get it perfected.

• the hot water met

If I'm understanding this, you are putting the BP coffee (coffee, butter, oil) in the ice cube trays. Correct?

That's kinda brilliant actually and led me to imagine putting it in one of those DIY popcicle trays. Then sucking on a BP Popcicle in the Summertime!

To solve the issue with mixing up the cold brew in the morning I'm heating the water in the microwave (I can see no harm in that) and then blending the water with the butter and oil.

Lastly, I pour in some Cold Brew Coffee and blend it all together.

This is working well for me, though it still comes out hotter than I would prefer. More experimenting to be done with microwave timing and amount of water till I get it perfected.

I like the hot water method you proposed as a sidestep to the whole microwave debate.  I imagine you can time it to overheat the water so that it then hits the perfect temp when you add in the other ingredients.

• edited April 2014

I've been putting ~3-4 ounces of water in the blender cup and heating for 30 - 45 seconds and getting a good temperature for liquifying the butter and oil when blended.

Lastly, I pour in ~3-4 ounces of cold brew from the fridge and blend it once more for a couple of seconds.

Tastes great!

My preference is for cold coffee anyway, so the perfect temp can't be achieved for me without the butter and coconut oil going back to solids. But it does come out warm rather than hot after adding the cool coffee and is easy for me to drink quickly and then get on the road in the mornings.

• Anyone buy one of these kickstarters?

• What about paper filters removing key antioxidants?  I forget which, exactly.

• Hmmm.. cold brew concentrate ice cubes.... to use in super hot BP coffee.

*ponders the caffeine high from this...*

• I recently started brewing my BPC with Cold Brew Coffee. Love it!

The Cold Brew Coffee recipe I've found online recommends chilling one's CBC for 2 hours. What I've been doing in the morning is doing ~1/2 and 1/2 CBC with Hot Water, with Butter and MCT.  

However, I'm finding that, since I need to chill the CBC... the chill of the CBC, plus the cold of the butter, is largely neutralizing the heat from the hot water. I don't really want to be adding more MORE water, which would dilute the CBC. And I don't do hot brew coffee, as it makes my entire nervous system feel rather shitty & painful. 

Do people store their CBC in the fridge? If so, do you take it out before making coffee with it? Can CBC be put into the microwave, to heat it up before using it in BPC?

I would LOVE hotter BPC :D

• My husband and I also love our Toddy!!!  The coffee is SO much better (smoother, fuller, no bitterness, less acidic) than hot brewed coffee.  And, BONUS, it's FAR less time consuming to make coffee each morning using the concentrate that stays fresh in your fridge for up to two weeks (we put ours in a dark brown glass bottle with a tight fitting cap). 

For hot coffee, we just heat up @12oz  filtered water in an electric kettle and combine with 2 tbsp of coffee concentrate.  Super fast, super easy for a busy morning.   

For iced coffee, we pop *3 Tbsp Coffee concentrate, *1 Tbsp Brain Octane oil (or very good Coconut Oil), *16 oz of Unsweetened Almond Milk, *Stevia to taste in the blender and whiz that up for a few seconds, then server over ice.   

• edited August 2018

Love to find discussions about coffee!!! I have been working on Nitro Coffee for 5 years and I have discover all the tricks how to do it right! It is my pleasure to share it with coffee lovers!! Check out my complete guide about COLD BREW NITRO.
    https://bonafidenitro.com/nitro-cold-brew/