Bulletproof smoothie recipes

Thanks to a wisdom tooth extraction that has me limited to liquid foods, today I've been playing around with some of the ingredients Dave has mentioned in the past for smoothies. Here's my latest concoction:

1) 3 pastured egg yolks

2) 2 tbs butter

3) 1 Hass avocado

4) 3 tsp xylitol

5) 3 tablespoons of Collagen peptide (from Upgraded Self.com)

6) 1/2 cup coconut milk

7) 10 ice cubes

The consistency is incredibly creamy, and the avocado + xylitol mix gives the shake a flavor reminiscent of haggen daas green tea ice cream. I'm thinking a pinch of matcha (ground green tea) would accentuate this flavor the next time i make it. Kind of a bulletproof green tea frappucino...

How about you guys? Any "go to" smoothie recipes?

Comments

• Yeah I've got a bunch but here's one of my favorites:

1. 2 Scoops Whey Protein Powder

2. 1/2 Avocado (Organic)

3. 1 TBSP Coconut Oil

4. 3-4 Organic Strawberries OR 1/2 Banana

5. about 8oz Water & a handful of Ice Cubes

* I know Dave is not a big fan of bananas because of the fructose but from my recollection in a recent PodCast he mentioned using banana in some of his smoothies (I think he uses 1/2 banana). I love Bananas and at most usually eat 1-2 in a day (not every day) and in smoothies they are just plain awesome.
  • TimMurphy wrote:
    Yeah I've got a bunch but here's one of my favorites:

1. 2 Scoops Whey Protein Powder

2. 1/2 Avocado (Organic)

3. 1 TBSP Coconut Oil

4. 3-4 Organic Strawberries OR 1/2 Banana

5. about 8oz Water & a handful of Ice Cubes

* I know Dave is not a big fan of bananas because of the fructose but from my recollection in a recent PodCast he mentioned using banana in some of his smoothies (I think he uses 1/2 banana). I love Bananas and at most usually eat 1-2 in a day (not every day) and in smoothies they are just plain awesome.

Hey Tim,

I tried this smoothie and cudos to you... it's great! Any others you wish to share ;)
  • i enjoy a good fat shake myself...

1Cup Coconut milk

2 Eggs (or more if you want)

2scoops chocolate whey protein powder

1/2 Avacado (or a whole one if you want)

1/4cup Frozen Blueberries

~couple tbsp grassfed butter

~couple tbs MCT oil

~12oz glass full of ice more or less if you like it thicker or brain freeze

blend untill happy .. often you have to scrape the sides as the powder will stick there.

also i normally blend first then add ice and blend some more.

this yeilds about 2.5 tall glasses of fat shake.. lots of protein and fat low carbs...

ill have to add cinnamon some time and see how it works...

plus downing this allows me to stay full all day if i want to do a long fast.

enjoy
  • 'TeeKay' wrote:

Hey Tim,

I tried this smoothie and cudos to you... it's great! Any others you wish to share image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

TeeKay,

Sorry I haven't been in the Forum for a little bit!

Yes I have a bunch!! I'm kind of obsessed with shakes.

Here's one I use as kind of a "dessert" shake:
    • 1/2 Tbsp Cacao Powder
    • 8oz Raw Milk (you can use Coconut Milk if you don't like Raw Milk)
    • 2 Scoops about 40g Whey Protein Powder (Undenatured)
    • 2 Raw Eggs
    • 1Tbsp Butter (from Grass Fed Cows of course!)
    • Handful of Ice Cubes

Let me know what you think!
  • I see you guys are doing the raw eggs, which I'd like to try but I must admit scares me a bit. I'll give it a shot one of these days though.

Anyway, I started doing organic green smoothies a while ago and started feeling great right away. I think of it like 'drinking a salad' and tend to have one as my vegetable with lunch or dinner. I keep it pretty simple nowadays:
    • RO filtered water or Coconut Water
    • Coconut Milk (full fat)
    • Kale
    • Avocado
    • Broccoli sprouts
    • Spirulina
    • Chlorella
    • Dulse Flakes
    • (occasionally) Whey protein

I've sorta conditioned myself to drink this straight, no sugar or sweeteners, so it will probably taste bitter to most people. I used to throw in some frozen berries or raw organic honey but I'm keeping things ultra low carb atm. Also, just a heads up that taking in too much spirulina/chlorella may not be the greatest move -I'm still looking into that.
  • Try this:

2 Tbls Upgraded MCT

1 scoop Upgraded Whey

1 Tbls Upgraded Cacao

1/2 can of coconut milk

8 oz Upgraded coffee
  • katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Try this:

2 Tbls Upgraded MCT

1 scoop Upgraded Whey

1 Tbls Upgraded Cacao

1/2 can of coconut milk

8 oz Upgraded coffee

You put the coffee beans in?

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• Try this:

2 Tbls Upgraded MCT

1 scoop Upgraded Whey

1 Tbls Upgraded Cacao

1/2 can of coconut milk

8 oz Upgraded coffee

This sounds good! Gonna try.

Question: I assume this is made with hot coffee - does the temp degrade the whey?

• Good question. According to a study at Cornell University I came across, the heat will not effect the whey. Maybe if it is subjected to high heat for am extended period it may?

Today, the farm yolks go in!
  • Thanks guys for all the ideas.

I didn't have some of the ingredients and was in a rush so I just made one with whatever I had. It was my very first attempt ever and I'm proud to say the ingredients didn't go to waste. I loved it! Also, I didn't have any ice so just add ice to this recipe and it should taste a bit better:

2 whole eggs

2 egg yolks

4 tbs of unsalted GB butter

2 tbs of Upgraded whey

1/3 cup of coconut (canned) milk

1 tbs of Upgraded vanilla

1/2 cup water

No need for sweeteners. I'll say it again, Upgraded Vanilla f#@king RULES!!!! 

I still would like to hide the taste of the yolks a bit more but it was almost all gone. But it was maybe the fact the it was at room temp. I bet the ice will take care of that.

This is coming from a guy who find raw egg yolks disgusting so I guess I did a pretty good job.

Shit!!! I'm pumped up!!

• I want to say thanks to everyone with their recipes. I intent to try a lot of them.

I did however just try your recipe, Alucard, and I have to say it was not nearly as good as I had hoped. 

I used Upgraded Whey and Upgraded Vanilla also. 

The whey separated from the mix creating a very sludgey texture. Normally, my fiance is the one that has issues with textures, but in this case, I totally did. After a couple of gulps that I forced down, I tried adding upgraded cocoa and a little cinnamon and it didn't make it any better, then I added a handful of blueberries and still not much luck.

I have had issues with the upgraded whey before, and unfortunately, I think from now on I will most certainly need some sort of sugar/fruit to make it bearable. 

• edited September 2013
    No matter what i do (melting the coconut oil then slowly adding while blending) the coconut oil ends up in little solid pieces separated from the drink? How do you guys do it?
  • Hello, fellow BP'ers; I'm a first time poster here! I look forward to posting here more often! ... I didn't want to create a new thread for this topic for fear that it may already exist, but if it does I couldn't seem to find it! So this thread seemed appropriate.

My question: is there reason to be concerned about blending various foods/nutraceuticals like whey protein/milk protein powder? I believe I recall hearing that certain things should not be blended, and I thought that whey powder was one of them. I'm not going to claim to know the science, but is there any reason to believe that such intense physical agitation caused by a nutribullet, vitamix, blendtec, ninja (etc) has the power to alter the quality of any ingredients?

If so, what ingredients in particular should we be concerned about blending? Protein powders, whole raw eggs, collagen, butter, raw milk, fruits, vegetables? All of these? None of these? And finally, are there any foods we are actually BETTER OFF blending than just eating in their ordinary state?

Thanks in advance for any responses! I'll have to throw up some of my preferred recipes once I perfect them!