My Reading Vision Has Deteriorated On Bpc, Any Idea Why?

I started bulletproof coffee maybe a couple of weeks ago. In that time I've had a marked deterioration in my reading vision. I'm a 52 year old male in reasonably good health at the moment, but coming out of some adrenal fatigue issues. I'm feeling great on BPC and really enjoy it. The only negative symptom I'm having is that where previously I only occasionally needed reading glasses, now, I'm finding that I need them much more frequently since starting BPC.

I'm hoping this is temporary, something like "liberating toxins from the occular neural tissue" or some such thing, lol. My distance vision is fine, don't seem to have any issues there, it's just the close up stuff.

I did a search of the forum, found someone having blurred vision and migraines. Was going to add on to that topic but those really aren't my issues. Just wondering if anyone has any idea why I'm experiencing this. Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

Its from the Adrenal fatigue, excess adrenaline causing tiny blood vessels in the eye to constrict over time.

BPC is not good for someone with adrenal fatigue the same with a a ketogenic diet. You need more carbs (about 150-200 a day).

You might feel great from the BPC now but in a month or two you will feel a hell of a lot worse into you treat the adrenal fatigue.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• I've been making BPC without coffee, instead replacing Green Tea or french pressed cacao beans.  You don't get the pop you get with caffeine, but when I can feel that my adrenals need a break, its a great way to still get all the fat in and keep the routine going.  I try to take a week off coffee this way every month.

• Thanks guys.

I'm not consuming any more coffee than I was before. My usual consumption is a cup in the morning, and then usually a cup after lunch.  And that's what I'm having now, just with Dave's beans instead of Peets, and then with the butter and brain oil.

So unless Dave's beans have a significantly higher amount of caffeine than the Peets I was using, I'm not sure how it's the caffeine.

And John, I'm not going strict ketogenic as I just feel better when I eat a more balanced diet. Before adding the bpc I was already eliminating grains, for example. And I don't enjoy rice much so that wasn't an issue.   I doubt I was getting 150-200 grams of carbs per day before adding BPC, and my symptoms have definitely been improving. Really, about the only change I've made here after discovering the bulletproof world is to add the coffee per Dave's recipe, and I'm also adding a bit of butter to my morning and evening smoothies. Other than that, not really any changes.  So I'm kinda stumped as to what is causing the vision shift. Is it the butter or brain oil? Those seem to be the primary things that have changed, other than drinking what is supposedly now much cleaner coffee.

• RodRod The Rodfather

Are you taking any Vitamin A? Luetin? 

Have you started Eye Yoga? You can try Pin Hole glasses! 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• I'm taking fermented cod liver oil, gonna start an eye-based supplement shortly, and just started on krill oil as well.

Still wondering what about bpc might've caused such a precipitous change.

And re the pinhole glasses, lol, I actually have a pair. Wore them daily on 30 minute walks for a week or so, didn't really notice any change. Might try again, though.

• ryan, I understand, but I just disagree it's the caffeine since I'm not ingesting any more caffeine daily now than I have been for the last 5 years. Unless, that is, BPC beans have a significantly higher caffeine content than 'normal' beans. I have not increased the amount of coffee I'm drinking, just taken that same amount of coffee and adapted it to the BPC recipe/process.

So, if I'm not drinking any more coffee than I normally do, and have done for years, how is caffeine the issue here? I'm just not seeing it. It's a constant, not a variable in this process.

• RodRod The Rodfather

I have not drank coffee in 5 months and I still have blury vision, visual snow, image retention. 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• The fats in BPC allow you to absorb more of the caffeine.

• The fats in BPC allow you to absorb more of the caffeine.

If that's true, then that could plausibly explain the caffeine hypothesis. But do we know this to be true? My understanding is caffeine is fairly well absorbed just on its own. Do we have any data to support the notion that the fats in BPC increase caffeine absorption?

• Thanks, Ryan.

One thing I really like about Dave is he does a great job of providing scientific citations to back up most of his assertions.  I'm not seeing any for the assertion that butter and MCT oil increase the absorption of caffeine from coffee. I'm NOT disagreeing with him, but I'd like to see some evidence of this independent of Dave saying it before I accept it as fact.  Can anyone point to any references to support this assertion?

Interestingly, I found a number of references saying that caffeine will strongly inhibit the absorption of fats, which then makes me wonder about how much of the fats in BPC are we able to actually metabolize when they are consumed with caffeine.  Do I get the same amount of benefit from consuming MCT or Brain Oil with coffee as I would if I put it into a smoothie without caffeine? I dunno.

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭
    edited August 2013

Thanks guys.

I'm not consuming any more coffee than I was before. My usual consumption is a cup in the morning, and then usually a cup after lunch.  And that's what I'm having now, just with Dave's beans instead of Peets, and then with the butter and brain oil.

So unless Dave's beans have a significantly higher amount of caffeine than the Peets I was using, I'm not sure how it's the caffeine.

And John, I'm not going strict ketogenic as I just feel better when I eat a more balanced diet. Before adding the bpc I was already eliminating grains, for example. And I don't enjoy rice much so that wasn't an issue.   I doubt I was getting 150-200 grams of carbs per day before adding BPC, and my symptoms have definitely been improving. Really, about the only change I've made here after discovering the bulletproof world is to add the coffee per Dave's recipe, and I'm also adding a bit of butter to my morning and evening smoothies. Other than that, not really any changes.  So I'm kinda stumped as to what is causing the vision shift. Is it the butter or brain oil? Those seem to be the primary things that have changed, other than drinking what is supposedly now much cleaner coffee.

If the vision problems started after the coffee then that might be a reason for the eye problems. I really feel like it is adrenal fatigue (www,drlam.com) BUT with that being said it could be that the caffeine ingestion is increasing epinephrine, which is restricting blood flow in a fight or flight response in the delicate small blood vessels of the eye. If this is the case then there is definitely cause of concern, do you smoke?

It could also be toxins from yeast die off as well is a possibility.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• Ok.

Previously, I was drinking my coffee with raw milk. Now just the bpc recipe. There was fat in it before, but obviously not as much as with bpc.

I think caffeine here is a possibility for explaining this vision shift, but I'm yet to be convinced that via BPC I'm getting a significant increase in caffeine uptake versus my prior coffee habits. It's not like coffee is poorly absorbed to begin with. The body assimilates caffeine pretty readily, fats or no.  The notion that it caffeine could utilize fats to more effectively cross the blood/brain barrier is an interesting hypothesis, but it seems it's just a hypothesis. And given how caffeine can very quickly impact mental function, it doesn't seem to particularly need fat to impact the brain.

Seems like if this were true there should be some studies demonstrating it.  I did a few pubmed searches, didn't find anything that speaks to this. Doesn't mean it's not there, though. 

• John, thanks for those thoughts. Yeast die off is something I'd thought of. If that's it, then hopefully once that process nears completion, vision should normalize.

Tough for me to think it's adrenal fatigue. That issue is MUCH better over the last 3 months than it was prior to that, and was much worse a year or two prior. And at that point, I was drinking as much coffee as now, if not more.  In fact, I've been logging my coffee intake. I'd usually have 2-3 cups a day prior to this. Now I'm having 2, but with BPC.  Given how readily caffeine is absorbed normally, it's hard for me to imagine that the fats are giving me so much more caffeine with 2 cups than I'd previously get with 3 cups. That doesn't seem reasonable to me.

And nope, don't smoke. Used to smoke a few cigars a week, but stopped that about 10 years ago.  Before finding this site and Dave's suggestions, I would drink alcohol, but about 2-3 beers a month (usually dark belgian ales). Now I'm abstaining even from that simply to see what I can do re fat loss and vitality.

The best idea I'd come up with was yeast/candida die off.

• Ryan....interesting. I have reduced sugar intake. Before "going BP", I would have about a teaspoon of raw agave nectar in my smoothie, along with maybe a quarter cup of frozen organic cherries or blueberries. I've eliminated both of those. Will probably add a bit of the frozen fruit back in once I get to my target weight and body fat.  The rest of my diet isn't substantially different than it was before BP. I was relatively paleo-compliant, but in an adapted way that seems to support my adrenals well.

Your post on insulin response and caffeine is interesting. And I'm NOT saying I'm dismissing the caffeine angle, but for me to be getting more caffeine into my cells now with 2 cups of BP coffee versus 2-3 cups of 'regular' coffee, the increased absorption rate would have to be dramatically higher, and given how well caffeine is absorbed in general I'm just not sure that much of a difference is possible.

I'm also thinking yeast die off, as John pointed out, is a possibility here. And as Dave and many others attest, the body stores toxins in fat and right now I'm on a modest fat liberation curve.  Perhaps I should add some activated charcoal or chlorella to my diet to assist in toxin removal and see if that makes a difference.

A week without coffee now that I've fallen in love with BPC? You're a hard man, ryanmercer.

:cool:

• I've been searching trying to find any references that fat increases caffeine absorption from coffee. So far, nothing.

Did find this link:

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10219&page=26

Interesting. On one of the pages it said that 99% of caffeine is absorbed into the body within 45 minutes. So far, everything I'm seeing is saying that the body very readily uptakes caffeine. Based on that, it appears that the caffeine in coffee is almost entirely absorbed fairly readily. If true, I'm just not seeing how Dave's statement is factual, that the fats in bpc "increase absorption". Perhaps they increase the rate of absorption? Instead of taking 45 minutes to get to 99%, maybe then it only takes 30, and thus the coffee provides a higher spike in caffeine levels because of the increased rate even though total uptake is roughly similar?

I dunno, just throwing ideas around.

Also, Dave said on one of his podcasts that his beans have less caffeine than normal beans.  I add it all up and it's difficult for me to see how I'm getting more caffeine now than I was prior.