Homemade Ghee... Am I Making It Wrong?

[sorry if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find any threads]

So I decided to change from grass fed butter to grass fed ghee and I wanted to make it at home to save some money.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube but they either contradict one another or I just can't get the same results, plus I wanna have some back and forth here instead of just watching a video.

The problem:

First time was perfect....but I can't remember the exact details and didn't write them down :(

Second time it looked OK but after it was all solid and ready to use I felt it was a bit thicker than usual. Like if I hadn't taken all the white stuff out. So I put it back on the pan, heated it again.... result? I burned it and it tasted like CRAP! I lost 2 whole packs of butter there.

Third time and last one so far. I didn't burn it but It's not looking that great. It looks a bit grainy, not as smooth as the first time (or like when you buy it at the store). Again, like if I didn't do a great job on the separation.

So my question is, for those who make ghee very often. How do you do it? Do you have specific details with exact time, etc?

Here is how I'm making it:

Ingredients/ Tools:

Two 16oz packs of unsalted grass fed butter

Thick pan

Strainer (Very fine/stainless steel)

Glass jar to store the final product

Method:

Medium heat at first, until I see it starts boiling and there's a huge white cap on top (aprox 10 mins)

I remove most of the white stuff and turn the heat down to the lowest and let it heat for another 10 mins.

Now I filter it with the strainer at least 2 times

Questions:

Is the strainer the problem? I was using that because it looks easier than a coffee filter but I guess I'll have to try a coffee filter instead.

Am I not giving it enough time on the stove? I'm just afraid it will burn. Is 20 minutes too little? Specially when the last 10 are in low temp?

One of the videos recommends a thick pan.  Is that really that important? I'd rather use a thinner/smaller one I have if that wasn't a problem.

Thanks for your time!

Comments

• No expert here but a thought is that I'd maybe try keeping it on the stove for longer because 20 minutes doesn't sound much compared to how long I have to go to get it clear. However I use more than a couple of packs when I make it and I don't know whether this and the the pan can influence the time it takes. Anyway you'll see when you part the foam on top that the stuff under it is clear when it's done. Altough for me there is usually also a layer of stuff on the bottom that's sort of bubbling upp stuff to the surface, but I don't think that really matters as long as the ghee itself in the middle of those two layers is separate and clear like an oil. Not sure whether I'm doing it totally according to the books though but at least I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. Share how it went after your next attempt, if you feel like it.

• I tried it a few more times I've been doing 20 mins in low temp (2 pack of butter) and has been coming out fine. At the end being close enough is better than not making it at all. So I'm not too picky anymore.  Thanks!

• All right! Not sure if I'm nailing it myself, but something resembling the ghee I've seen on pictures comes out at least  :smile:

• I would put it on medium-low until the milk-solids on the bottom turn light-brown. Let them turn dark brown, which is easy after this point, and the ghee will become bitter.

---

• I've been making ghee for a while now. I began using the stove-top method, but found the supervision and inconsistent results a bit annoying. Scrubbing pots for the clean-up resulted in quite a mess as well.

More recently, I've been tossing blocks of butter into a slow cooker and leaving it overnight with the cover off. Come the morning, all the fat is floating on top of the milk and you can just decant the top off and perhaps strain the remainder.

Doesn't quite result in the vaguely nutty flavour you get from the stove, but infinitely easier to do.

• Without reading through prior responses, I have made ghee several times, but my last two times came out perfectly, almost by accident. I take two 8oz blocks, put it in the saucepan, set the heat level to 2-3 (on a scale of 10, so medium-low), and then walk away for an hour to 70 minutes. I don't stir, I don't swirl, I don't touch it until the hour or so is done. It looks burnt on top, and I actually thought it was the first time I made it, but it smelled wonderful and tasted DELICIOUS!  It almost had a toffee or caramel note to its flavor. I've used this method twice now and have yielded the same results both times. The first time I made it this way was almost an accident, as I had set the butter in the saucepan, had to take care of my son & get him down for nap and then feed my 8 month old daughter which took a little longer than anticipated. While tending to my kids, one hour had passed. I was afraid I had burnt it when I came back to it, because I hadn't seen or stirred it since I started it.

So, in essence, set it and forget it.  Medium low heat (like I said, 2-3 on a 1-10 heat level dial), set timer for an hour to start, then let it go for a few minutes longer if you so desire. Don't let the burnt-looking bubbles and such deter you! Its more than likely perfect!  :)

• cm770011cm770011
    edited January 2015

how do you get it solid? (like http://www.amazon.com/Purity-Farm-Organic-Clarified-13-Ounce/dp/B0046IIPMW/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1420734352&sr=1-1 )

enjoy dipping thick cheese into ghee, but store brands are prohibitively expensive

• I tried it for the 1st time yesterday :) end result Beautiful it looks like the colour of the sun! But what to do with the white stuff from the top it's not got salt in so why waste it?