Biohacking Hair Growth

I realize this is superficial, but does anyone have any tips for healthier/faster growing hair?

I eat pretty strictly bulletproof, follow the recommended supplement regimen, and take 2 tbs Upgraded Collagen+ ~2g Vitamin C at night (I cycle it). I don't really work out, but I work in a city and walk a lot.

Any other suggestions/supplements? I'm impatient.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. --Arthur Schopenhauer

Tagged:

Comments

• RodRod The Rodfather

Have you looked into why it may be thinning or falling out? 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• You may want to look into an adaptogenic herb called He Shou Wu or also known as Foti root.

It's reported to have significant hair re-growth properties, which is why it's in quite a few hair growth type products. and it has a host of additional health benefits to boot.

You can find it in many places, but one good source is at: http://plantcures.com/foti.html

The guy who owns and runs the place is a little eccentric :) and has some unique views on all things political and pharmaceutical related, but he makes good, solid products that helps get results.

I don't know what it'll do for you, but this is the first product I'd go with, to help with that condition.

Do a StartPage.com or Ixquick.com search for "He Shou Wu hair growth" or "Foti hair growth" and I'm sure you'll find more solid info. Plus, type in "He Shou Wu benefits" to get a wider perspective on all the health related benefits.

• A couple months after starting the supplements I noticed my hair stopped falling out so much in the shower. My a magnitude of a kazillion! I was really happy.

• It's not thinning, falling out, or anything like that. Just looking for tips on upgrading hair to be shinier, fuller, faster growing, etc. Wondering if there's a proper vitamin C/Collagen ratio, and if there are any other food or supplement combinations that are important to healthy hair formation.

Classic, I'll certainly look into Foti root! Thanks!

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. --Arthur Schopenhauer

• ClassicClassic
    edited August 2013

It's not thinning, falling out, or anything like that. Just looking for tips on upgrading hair to be shinier, fuller, faster growing, etc. Wondering if there's a proper vitamin C/Collagen ratio, and if there are any other food or supplement combinations that are important to healthy hair formation.

Classic, I'll certainly look into Foti root! Thanks!

Sure, no problem.

• Here's a snippet from Joy Bauer's site:

http://www.joybauer.com/photo-gallery/best-foods-for-hair-health.aspx

"The mineral zinc is involved in tissue growth and repair — and that includes hair growth. It also helps keep the oil glands around the hair follicles working properly. Low levels of zinc can cause hair loss, slow growth, and dandruff. But the amount you get from eating foods rich in zinc — such as oysters, crab, clams, liver, lean beef, most nuts and seeds, peanut butter, wheat germ, fat-free yogurt, and cheese — is plenty to keep your tresses gorgeous. Aside from a multivitamin that provides up to 100 percent DV, I don't recommend taking extra zinc supplements because excess zinc can inhibit the body's ability to absorb copper, a minor but necessary mineral."

Zinc can deplete necessary copper levels, so you may want to get one that has it in the supplement. John Brisson has a good zinc thread going on the general discussion page. But, you can get a decent amount of zinc from foods, but probably not enough, unless you eat A LOT of them.

Also, you should see significant skin improvement from taking zinc as well, plus a host of other health benefits. It does a lot of good things for you.

And here's another good article on healthier, shinier hair.

http://www.naturalnews.com/034727_herbs_healthy_hair.html

The mention biotin (one of the B vitamins) as being especially important.

Hope this helps.

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭

Oysters, liver, shrimp, beef and cheese are all recommended in the Hair Like A Fox e-book by Danny Roddy (for regrowing hair)

• edited August 2013

There are other posts that describe this. (this one is gold, see the comments from Aghast: http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/1374-hair-loss-and-receding-hairline-youthful-looks/ )

The key appears to be to mantain a high ratio of progesterone over estrogen and a controlled level of DHT.

How much is this ratio and how to achieve it Im not yet sure.

Also good levels of zinc and copper seems to be good.

Steven,

Just read the Hair Like a Fox. I was willing to buy it a long time ago. The recommendations goes pretty against the bulletproof diet, so Im avoiding then and attaining to the principles that I said above.

Not sure yet how to do it.

Is it supplementing with copper and zinc and avoiding estrogen feed meat enough?

What more reduces estrogen while increases progesterone?

Regards!

Elias Y

• Stumbled on this book awhile ago. This girl had alopecia and lost her hair. Her journey to get it back sounded interesting but I did not get the book.

• Have you read the Gottfried Protocol? 

She addresses lots of hormonal stuff.. Once I get health insurance I would like to visit her clinic :)

But in the mean time, worth checking out the book, it deals with understanding how our hormones work.  Also curious what your iron levels are.. my hair used to thin out last year and I increased my gf-beef intake. 

Just some ideas.  What have you tried so far regarding hair?   I too would like glowing thick hair as I think it is one of the hottest features on a human.  I don't think it is superficial, if it is, I don't care, I want to optimize my genes with the beshhht stuff!!  So share away :)

• rd_

Funny you should mention that. I was a vegan for about 23 years, so my iron was low as was my vit B. I got shots a few times but a vegan Doctor friend suggested a few nutritional items such as Indian Sweet Lassi.

I am no longer a vegan but a part-time raw paleo with dairy.

Very long story but a blood test showed my alinine transaminase levels were very high 71 (normal is 12 to 49) so a friend ran his Rife machine on liver issues, prostate and general infections for me. Afterwards the AT went down to 40. this also reduced my prostate to normal from being benign enlarged for many years. It also got rid of cankers I have had for 40 years and that my dad had during his life. He was a pharmacist and used drugs to control it. Now I can eat fruit again with no cankers.

When I was young, we always had skim milk, which I absolutely hated. It was an economic thing I realize. When I left home, I swore I would never drink it again and started drinking the most fat type, probably about a litre a day. (US Quart) After many years I had chronic low level issues with gas, bloating, fatigue etc (lactose intolerance)  

One day I decided to see what would happen if I dropped the usual things in my diet for a month, one at a time. Bread did have a slight effect, but when I dropped Pasteurized milk, within a few hours I had an incredible change that accelerated for awhile. my belly subsided, fatigue vanished, backache on bending over vanished (I did/do Yoga daily) etc. When I had a glass a week later it all came flooding back. I realized that it also caused my prostate to enlarge.

So then I learned from an Ayurvedic Doctor (Vaidya) how to prevent this problem, so I could drink it again, but basically cut back to very little.

I lost my hair when I was about 18 to 20. I had dandruff at the time and was suggested to use Head 'n Shoulders which is about when I started to lose my hair. I also had a Motor bike and wore a full coverage helmet. When I would take it off I would notice hair coming out. My dad had much less hair than me. Mine has started to regrow since doing the nails rubbing together thing.

Then I discovered raw milk and I can now drink as much and eat as much raw cheese as I like, with no problems.

I blame it on Pasteurized milk, Head 'n Shoulders and the heat inside my bike helmet. Probably hormonal also.

I got that the Sarah Gottfried book is primarily focussed on women's issues. I have ordered the book at the library though, so thanks.

• alanalan
    edited October 2013

rd_

Regarding hair being superficial, I absolutely agree with you. It is symptom of something deeper. Every part of us is.

According to Ayurveda, poor hair (or for that matter any part of our body which is in poor health) means the digestion is 

a. Too strong (foeces dark coloured, hard, difficult to pass) Being too strong, means that the chemical reactions are too powerful, so the food gets over cooked.

b. Too weak, so the food is undercooked  or under-digested, meaning the fire is too weak, meaning chemical reactions are not intense enough.

c. Not having the proper nutrition or catalysts to digest the nutrients.

d. The GI Tract is damaged or coated with "guck" (tech term ;) meaning undigested food stuck to the tract) to the point where food cannot get to the osmotic barrier to make the leap into the blood. In Ayurveda this "Guk" is called Ama or undigested food and you can tell if you have this by the colour of your tongue. It should be pink. If it is white and just a pale coating, you are not too bad, but if it is really white and or foamy or any other colour, you definitely have Ama.

You can get rid of ama in a number of ways including scraping it off with a spoon, (be careful, don't scrape too hard) but if you have a lot of white and foam you should get some Castor oil and take a teaspoon before bed for a period of say a day or a week or until it gets to close to pink.

Ama is food that is undigested meaning nutritionally useless. It makes its way past the osmotic barrier into the blood and then travels around the body till it reaches a spot where it simply sticks to the cell walls. If it builds up over time, you will get some sort of chronic illness, because it impedes the flow of blood and thus nourishment and cleansing.

You can actually tell where Ama is built up in the body but it's position on the tongue. There is a map of this in Dr Vasant Lad's classic book on Ayurveda "The Science Of Self Healing"

http://shop.ayurveda.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=paboscihea

http://ayurveda.com/online_resource/tongue_analysis.html

In Ayurveda digestion is looked on as being a sequence of events, kind of like peeling an onion. Each layer represents nutrition being peeled off by the combination of peristaltic action (the undulating motion your GI Tract makes to move food along) and digestive juices.

When that process is messed up by poor eating habits, food combinations, lousy food preparation etc (including food prepared by someone who doesn't love you) then it is like a car assembly line in which somebody comes to work with a hangover and puts the frame together crooked. Nothing else fits properly and you get a lemon.

http://ayurveda.com/pdf/constitution.pdf

http://ayurveda.com/pdf/food-guidelines.pdf

http://ayurveda.com/pdf/food_combining.pdf

Soooooooo if your GI Tract is not in good shape, full of crap, doesn't have good food to work with, by the time the onion is peeled to the level of hair nutrients the assembly line has too many obstacles to work properly and you don't get healthy hair.

Obviously there are other factors like microbes and climate, but from a nutritional point of view this is how Ayurveda explains things. Genetics plays a part also, because Ayurveda says that the condition of your parent's egg and sperm which is determined by a bunch of things and some of them interestingly Dave has uncovered in his examination of sex. Things like not ejaculating for a long period of time before procreation makes a huge difference. Ay says that the sexual fluids ferment and become more powerful. This is a whole other topic and gets into why some people are born beautiful, powerful and are destined to become the superstars, and powerful ppl. BIIG topic and covered somewhat in this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Ayurveda-Mother-Revised-Vaidya-Bhagwan/dp/B006S4U31S/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1382732132&sr=1-1&keywords=Ayurveda+for+mother+and+child

http://www.motherbabyprogram.com/MotherBaby

I suspect this may sound overly complicated and maybe I went too far, but if you reread this a few times and go to the links you will get an idea on how it works. Essentially it is a very simple elegant system that has stood the test of time. Nowadays vegans seem to have somewhat taken it over but the system is not a vegan system at all.

Basically you go to an Ayurvedic Doctor, have your dosha (body type) determined, and are then given sheets of paper with the appropriate diet for your body type. You can also get a rough approximation from the PDF I linked on your constitution. Then use the diet guide and food combinations to watch for.

• Have you read the Gottfried Protocol? 

She addresses lots of hormonal stuff.. Once I get health insurance I would like to visit her clinic :)

But in the mean time, worth checking out the book, it deals with understanding how our hormones work.  Also curious what your iron levels are.. my hair used to thin out last year and I increased my gf-beef intake. 

Just some ideas.  What have you tried so far regarding hair?   I too would like glowing thick hair as I think it is one of the hottest features on a human.  I don't think it is superficial, if it is, I don't care, I want to optimize my genes with the beshhht stuff!!  So share away :)

Rd--the Gottfried Protocol is on my list! I've seen a video of her speak, and plan to read it the next chance I get. The only thing I've tried in the past is one of those generic "hair skin & nails" supplements when I was in college...predictably, I didn't notice a difference. But I was also eating fat free cheese on top of low-cal bread and drinking slim-fasts every day :-P  The good old days (NOT!). I ended up doing a little research after reading some of the initial responses to this, and I think from being on hormonal birth control for so long (from when I was about 17 to 6 months ago--24) has depleted some necessary vitamins and minerals. My iron levels have been chronically low for years, and I'm assuming my zinc/copper levels are out of balance in favor of copper from the bc as well. My hair used to grow so much stronger and quicker in my teens and I never considered that getting on HBC at 18 probably played a role in my hair losing some of its luster and length through my early 20's. I've since bought the source naturals optizinc and continued with the basic supplement protocol on the BP diet (sans copper). Hoping at my next naturo appointment my iron and micronutrient (esp the b vitamins) levels have improved, and more importantly I'm hoping to see a hair improvement in the coming months!

• There was one other thing that was prominent when I lost my hair. I was eating a lot of MacDonalds, as I was in Post Secondary education mode and very busy.

• One thing that I do pretty much daily and it is a very important part of keeping healthy. Here is my blog: http://abhyanga-rub-yourself-the-right-way.blogspot.ca/