Eating Enough To Gain Muscle

I've been Bulletproof (Diet and BPIF) for three weeks now and have lost 10 lb., most likely all from fat. Energy is great, skin is looking better, I've been getting plenty of compliments from friends, and random women keep grabbing my butt when I pass them on the sidewalk.

That last one may not be totally true, but nonetheless I've been feeling great! I'm definitely not "ripped" yet, so far I've gone from a BF of about 20% to about 16% (my roommate's BF scanner is not very quality).

Although one of my biggest goals is to drop bodyfat, I have recently decided to shift my focus to gaining lean muscle. I've picked up Body By Science and love both the reading material and the HIT workouts. My logic in wanting to gain muscle first is 1) I want to see how well the BBS protocol actually works for myself and 2) if I gain lean muscle first, with the increased caloric expenditure from the muscle, I am sure it will be easier to strip fat after gaining some muscle.

Also, I'm getting a nice raise pretty soon so I will be able to afford all of the supplements needed for the Rapid Fat Loss Protocol in the next several weeks.

So my plan is to focus on building muscle for the next 2-3 months and then do the RFLP.

The only problem is, I am finding it difficult to eat tons of calories. My roommate has decent muscle (5'10", 184 lb. 11% BF) and can easily put down 3500 calories in a day (he also lifts 4-5 days a week). I'm 5'7", 155 lb. 16% BF and I have a hard time getting down 1900 calories. I'm so full from my BP Coffee for breakfast and other healthy fats throughout the day that I have virtually no appetite.

But I want to make sure to have enough calories available so muscle growth is promoted in my body. I've read that you should eat the calories of the body you want to have. So should I be aiming for 2200+ calories and my bodyweight in protein every day?

Would love some advice on the subject!

(Again the BBS protocol is one workout per week, which is the same day I also do refeeds.)

Thanks for the help!

=======================================================================================

When I'm not eating delicious, Bulletproof food, I spend my time reading, listening to podcasts/audiobooks, lifting, traveling, and helping people to:

1.) become a more powerful version of themselves and 2.) create real income online. I have to admit, my life is quite fun! :)

Comments

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭
    Surely 2200 is pretty easy to get to? My morning BPC is almost 1000 calories on its own! Maybe you need to put more butter in your BPC, like 100g.

Another good way to get the fat in is steaming a portion of cauliflower and blending it with 100g of butter and some salt. Comes out like creamy mashed potato. Delicious and bursting with healthy buttery calories!
  • @drumminangoleiro thanks for the recommendation my friend! Personally, I'm not interested in using cannabis, except the possibility of juicing it in the future. But I suppose the accompanying munchies would help me shove done some more calories lol

@ThatStevenBaker, that's a great idea! I am definitely going to do both of those. Thanks!

I also make soups that are chock full of butter, coconut oil, meat, and veggies. I wonder if blending the soup and drinking it would help me put down more of it? (I sense an experiment coming on...)

=======================================================================================

When I'm not eating delicious, Bulletproof food, I spend my time reading, listening to podcasts/audiobooks, lifting, traveling, and helping people to:

1.) become a more powerful version of themselves and 2.) create real income online. I have to admit, my life is quite fun! :)

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited September 2013

relying on appetite is your issue. Eat what your body needs, not what your mind tells you.

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• @katolotus You're totally right. Time to turn on Beast Mode and shove down all the BP food I can afford.

*Beast Mode engaging...*

• Why add more food than your body currently needs?

Why not workout and in the following time observe any potentially increased hunger?

---

• Why add more food than your body currently needs?

Why not workout and in the following time observe any potentially increased hunger?

This. 

The average person is overfed and undernourished. If you're lifting intensely, eat more nutrient dense food. Don't worry though you'll know when you're really hungry.

• edited September 2013

If you want to gain muscle size I suggest you have carbs after your workout, 50-100g (200 to 400 calories) of white rice will do, after that stick to 100% Paleo, if you can try to not eat fat with your carbs as you want them to get in and digest and absorb as fast as possible, fat will slow the process down, after workout your insulin will shuttle the carbs into your muscles and refuel them with glycogen, hardly anything will go into fat.

To eat 3000 calories + what I do is I have about 3-4 40g protein shakes a day I put about 30 -50g of melted butter i with the shake (360 - 500 cals each shake), everything else comes from food.

Its true you do need to eat to gain muscle Size!!!

To gain Muscle strength (not Size) you do not need to eat as much.

G

E-commerce and Webdesign Agency
    www.nowaydesign.com

Email "Bulletproof" to [email protected] and get a discount now!
  • true, you wanna get jacked, then you'll need to eat, you wanna get ripped, then you'll need to starve (at least in your mind).

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well