M.d. Bullet To Heart

52 yrs, doing BP for over a year, paleo for years before that. Went to MD, for physical, hears murmur schedules ECG (heart sonogram). Diagnosed with "Mild valvular aortic stenosis" due to calcification. Stenosis is narrowing due to arteriosclerosis. i am in excellent shape for age--- competitive crossfitter.

Initial reaction was --- can't be true, I'm on the BP Diet!

My cholesterol has been very low in past. Waiting on current test.. 

Can't help but wonder if it is the butter...I have probably gone overboard while on Extreme Fat Loss diet, eating slab+/ Kerrygold/day. 

And, of course, not looking forward to comments from friends/family --- "told you all that butter was going to kill you!" ---are they right? Unfortunately, this diagnosis could put me out of work in transportation until i go through a heart monitoring program.

Hitting the max recommended K2, both types...

Could also be natural aging --- history of heart disease on both sides of family

Too much butter?

Comments

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
    Interesting to see what your hs-crp is.
    My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • RodRod The Rodfather

Yea, 

Homocystine, Lp2pla, hs-crp.....

this is nuts...

I would contact Rocky Patel in AZ...

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions Consultwithrod@live.com 

• You mentioned K2, what other supplements are you on? 

• 1000IU per 25 pounds of body weight of Vitamin D3

500mg of magnesium with 200mg of potassium at night. 

1 capsule of krill oil each day (with Bulletproof Coffee).

1 capsule (2000mcg) of vitamin K2.

1-2 grams (or more) of unbuffered vitamin C every 8 hours.

1tsp Lipoceutical Glutathione 

5 grams of branched chain amino acids (BCAAs) twice a day.

2-10 capsules (560 mgeach) of activated charcoal 2-3 times a day. 

5-10 gms creatine

5-10 gms l-glutamine

adaptogen herb complex

Tks!

• RodRod The Rodfather

That's too much charcoal!!!  2-3 times a day?? It's absorbing everything you're putting in your gut, all those vitamins and minerals too. 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions Consultwithrod@live.com 

• AFM -- You're right... that was Dave's recommendation from rapid weight loss, I just cut and pasted, my bad--- I only take two caps a day

• RodRod The Rodfather

Are you still on the rapid weight loss protocol? You shouldn't take AVC everyday as a normal supplement stack. 

• I'm on Intermittent Fasting... for weight management--like that style of eating... thanks, didn't know I shouldn't take AVC everyday!

• RodRod The Rodfather

There are protocols using Vitamin C, Lysine, Proline and I think something else that is suppose to clean you out! 

• There are protocols using Vitamin C, Lysine, Proline and I think something else that is suppose to clean you out! 

ok, I'll try to find them... should i cut down on kerrygold in meantime -- 1/4 to 1/2 slab per day...?

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

There are protocols using Vitamin C, Lysine, Proline and I think something else that is suppose to clean you out! 

=====

Rod is right, I posted a recipe here: http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/5544-atherosclerosis-reversing-bulletproof-smoothie/

Do some research into pomegranate and cocoa. Collagen would be good, Vit C to work with the collagen.

• RodRod The Rodfather

ok, I'll try to find them... should i cut down on kerrygold in meantime -- 1/4 to 1/2 slab per day...?

I don't know your cholesterol numbers, I'm not sure if you are having inflammation from the diet (you shouldn't be) Do you have all your blood work and test results? 

• How long have you been doing Paleo for, before the BP diet? Could this have been a pre-existing thing from before you started going healthy?

Before BP, were you eating sugar and lots of carbs?

Is the meat that you've been eating, especially the red meat, all grass fed, and if so, how long have you been doing that for? There are a lot of studies that say that eating grain-fed beef and other factory farmed animal meat is bad for your heart and arteries.

Massachusetts Bulletproof Resources! (Local BP resources for food/vitamins, meditation, bio-hacking/tech-centers, etc.)

If you know of a local resource that I haven't listed, or have a warning for known local health scams or bad "BP" businesses, please PM me.

If it's a good resource, I'll add it to the master-list (I was inspired by suntoucher & Ron Swanson.)

• Philip --- thank you. I have been paleo for serveral years... I have been off of the "white stuff" for over 10 years, low sugar, although I have been on a more classic Atkins on/off and have definitely eaten a lot of grain fed beef, cheese, industrial chicken. I am 54, my sense is that the arteriosclerosis has gradually been builiding up. I have family history of heart disease, although my cholesterol has been very low.

I have taken a lot of joint compounds due to intense exercise: MSM, chondritin, gucosamine... wonder if those contribute to plaque.

Starting the Pauling protocol..

Thanks!

• 5yrs later... SEVERE Aortic Stenosis with Regurgitation!.. .diagnosed with EchoCardiogram. Condition is probably due to Bicuspid Aortic Valve-- for some reason that is not well understood, Bicuspid (2-leaf, vs 3-leaf) valve causes stenosis as we age. There was no indication of other blockage. My blood numbers have been good, and honestly I hadn't thought much about the stenosis. I did faint doing a crossfit competition, last open season, but I thought that was due to not breathing as I sprinted through burpees. I just ran a 50k trail race, so my doc considers me an outlier.. this may be due to collateral cardiac blood flow, an interesting phenomena. I am slower than before, thought this was due to age (57), but in retrospect, i probably am limited by blood flow restriction.

Only known fix is open heart valve replacement.

Started Doc Gundry Plant Paradox diet after BP Podcast.. thanks Dave! .. (some theories that stenosis is caused by inflammation). I gave up butter for ghee, most protein, and nuts, which I probably ate too much of. I think this is probably at least as good as track your plaque diet. I will have a heart scan soon to get better picture of arteries and aorta, which tends to enlarge with high aortic pressure, which i have.

I am taking about 200mg/day of Omega-3. I take about 6gm/day of C, I had stopped the Lysine, but will get back on it for Pauling protocol, but honestly, I see more advertisements for Pauling then proof that it worked. 100mcg /day k2, CQ10 and all of Dave's top ten supps. Intermittent fast 16+ hours every day.

Now I am in a situation where i need to reverse stenosis, which may not be possible due to scarring. Maybe I wasn't aggressive enough, but it seemed blood work and annual EKG for work was ok.. and I have been bulletproof and low carb, and very athletic, so this sneaked-up on me. Unfortunately, this is also disqualifying for my job.

Any suggestions appreciated!