Bp Vs Paleo

I'll say up front that this whole BP regimen is really interesting to me, but at the same time I'm pretty skeptical. I've been interested in "optimal living" for some time, mostly focused on nutrition and I like all the other hacks I've been learning about in the podcasts.

But regarding the BP diet.. Dave has referred to it often as "upgraded paleo", and from what I can tell this is mainly a paleo diet that eliminates toxic foods; which is defined usually by a high concentration of mycotoxins. That sounds great, but there is a real lack of explanation on the site as to why certain things are in the red zone or how they were tested. Dave is also an N=1 case and I wouldn't argue that he is extremely sensitive to mycotoxins and so has seen a huge benefit from following the BP diet, but how true is that for the rest of the population? It takes a considerable effort to be disciplined to this diet and I'm just not convinced it will provide any benefit over the paleo diet I follow now. Are there examples of people seeing performance enhancement over other paleo diets? If you are not sensitive to these mycotoxins might you be missing out on some very good nutrient dense foods in your quest to eliminate all mycotoxins from your life?

I'm also skeptical when a nutrition program focuses on compartmentalizing a single element. More and more research studies I read the conclusion I seem to be drawing is that nutrition and metabolism are extremely complex and there are thousands of factors that can affect digestion, metabolism, exercise and nutrition. It varies immensely from person to person, from brand to brand, from food to food. And I know there is more to this than just mycotoxins, but it seems to the major chunk of it.

Again, lots of good content on here I've been enjoying but would love to see some more discussion quantifiable differences between BP and paleo. I really look forward to his book as I'm hoping it will explain things in more detail!
Tagged:

Comments

• I wish there was more explanation to the green-red zones. I however am finding myself feeling and performing better on the green/yellow side. If you stick to mostly green, you will find yourself feeling crappy off suspected foods. The other day, I ate a salad, which I eat often. However, some of the ingredient were slightly old, and had some brown spots. While eating the food, I noticed my nose itching constantly, a sure sign of some type of intolerance or allergy. Some of the red zone foods are blatantly obvious as to why they are red, but onion/garlic in the yellow is not. I read that the aliums class of vegetables (garlic/onions) can negatively impact cognitive function and Dave even mentions this in a post comment somewhere. However, I understand Dave is super busy and we are lucky to get the information we get. Maybe his new book will have a better explanation.
  • Following!

I have a theory, and I strongly believe that the reason garlic/onions have a negative cognitive effect is because they can break open biofilm and create a die-off reaction. The clients of mine who have the most severe gut dysbiosis react sometimes violently to garlic. I used to as well, but when pathogens are under control and the gut is functioning again, these don't seem to be a problem.

Curious what others have to say about this.
  • Why does garlic have a negative cognitive effect?