What Are The Best Biohacks From The Bulletproof Forum Community?

Okay so we have all heard of the top biohackers Dave Asprey, Dan Pardi, Josh Whiton, Jolly, Abel James Bascom, and Darryl Edwards, but what are the best community biohacks that have been made right here in the Bulletproof Community? Enlighten us by your journey by leaving your unique experience and findings.

Comments

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

I would nominate Jason Hooper, Jason Miller, and LostFalco.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• I would nominate Jason Hooper, Jason Miller, and LostFalco.

I`d nominate a few more than that John but this isn`t about nominating....it`s about learning through our community here and what best biohacks worked for them, however big or small. Now I know many here have had successes but thought it a great opportunity to see what people are actually trying out and have biohacked through Dave`s advice and constant research.

So you included John and I know you`ve succeded in a few things too ;-) hint hint...and if Jason Hooper, Jason Miller, LostFalcon would also contribute to this thread, that would be awesome too. It would be nice to successful biohacks in one place without having to search through the threads to find them.

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
    There is only one solution (short sighted and closed minded declaration, I know). There would need to be a forum section titled "top bio hacks as created by members" this section would have new topic creation disabled, entrance qualification being determined by requests sent to moderators for deliberation and approval, or they could set up a poll with the current top 5 bio hacks based on number of "likes", view count, and/or replies, this poll list would have to be kept current as items transferred from poll to board.
    My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • A small but helpful bio-hack that may actually have more implications when used in combination is the wise use of some breathing devices to enhance meditation. I purchased the BreathSlim to further my new found Buteyko breathing training, and it helps a lot. Firstly, it stops anxiety and wandering thoughts in its tracks. Secondly, it increases my mood and motivation. I've also noted even more lung capacity since combining that and the Elevation training mask.

When it comes to meditation, I first learned about this in a video on Buteyko Breathing and meditation. The other day I closed my eyes while using the BreathSlim (also increased the resistance, thus, creating more CO2) and chanted random things in my head, such as, "I'm well and in love," "Release, relax, refresh," and so on, while trying to put all of my conscious effort towards complete perception of the blackness beneath my eyelids. I felt light and airy, motivated and less anxious after this. I did the same yesterday before bed, and the same today with a guided progressive relaxation meditation. The enhanced oxygenation and CO2 content in your body, offered by the device, really makes it easy to meditate. It forces you into deep diaphragmatic breathing with ease, and since the idea is about increasing CO2 in your body, your automatically paying attention to your breathing rate.

Since I'm trying to fix somethings (that I posted about on here), I think I'm going to do a 30-day experiment where I use the device for an hour per day, each time with meditations of various kinds - opting towards loving-kindness guided meditations - in addition to doing Buteyko breathing at least once a day with an Elevation training mask on and measuring my daily CP. All I could say thus far is the device definitely works and is making me feel healthier and much better psychologically.

The reason I said this may have other implications is because, as I said, it enhances meditation. Use the device while meditating, you get into a meditative state quicker, with more ease, and maintain it - you become more conscious of proper breathing throughout the day and can turn off your flight-or-fight response much easier while enhancing your subjective well-being. If you want to really increase the CO2 in your body, you can to a BreathSlim session in a bath with sodium bicarbonate (may as well add epsom salts/magnesium chloride as well). I've tested simple Buteyko breathing methods in such a bath, and it becomes much easier - my CP increases 7-10 seconds just from this and lasts for a decent amount of time. I plan on doing 3 interesting things with the BreathSlim soon: (1) Use the BreathSlim in an epsom salt+sodium bicarbonate bath while meditating, (2) Use the BreathSlim while meditating and using SquareEater binaural audio and visual entrainment, and (3) Using the BreathSlim while doing different tDCS montages.

http://equilibriohm.wordpress.com/

http://biohacksblog.com/

Natural ability without education has more often raised a man to glory and virtue than education without natural ability. - Marcus Aurelius 

• drumminangoleirodrumminangoleiro ✭✭✭
    edited August 2013

geez, everyone wants to turn this into a competition. i think the dude just wants us to list some of the biohacks that we've found most useful based on our own experience.

so what the hell, i'll start. lets do this shizzle from the ground up and outside-in:

vibram 5 fingers.  - i decided i needed some awesome shoes perfect for outdoor capoeira training. it took me a while to warm up to the idea of wearing these things but its been a few years now and i hate wearing anything BUT these now, unless i'm hiking in below freezing weather for very long. these are the most comfortable shoes i've ever wore and from what i understand, the healthiest from a physiological standpoint, assuming you don't walk like a dumbass in them, see next point:

walking on the balls of your feet. from what i've learned and experienced, walking heel-toe causes all sorts of strain on the body that sucks in the short term and sucks even more in the long term. 

the 4 corners of your feet - notice which  corners your are neglecting when you are just standing around and fix that shit. 

internal rotation! don't stand like a duck all the time.

knees: don't do things that regularly impact your knees (like walking like a dumbass). find awesome exercise that doesn't destroy them, like (good) capoeira and yoga. especially yin yoga

hips - yoga and capoeira! yoga poses, circular kicks, lunges, bridges, etc. are awesome! especially yin yoga. tuck your hips in. sticking your ass out ruins your lower back. tucking your hips in is good for your abs. but don't overdo that either!

spine - do a bunch of yoga and capoeira. really. bridges everyday!

shoulders - get upside down every day! handstands = medicine. keep your shoulders back and down, quit that hunching shit, i see you hunkering over your computer!

neck - bring that thing back to its natural curvature by elevating the back of your skull. scrunching the back of the neck is what animals do when they are traumatized and what humans do when they aren't paying attention to their body. chin down, back of skull UP! not that far! natural curves!

nasal congestion? neti pot time!

eyesight sucks? lasik!

avoid watching TV and other commercial-laden brain wasters

pay attention to your jaw and tongue. catch yourself when you're tensing them and relax them!

put bulletproof things in your mouth, chew them, and swallow them. 

ginger is good for you in like, every way. as long as its good fresh stuff. and it goes with everything!

don't put things that aren't bulletproof in your mouth (or other orifices?). 

especially alcohol.what a lame drug. 

don't smoke, vaporize!

an occasional psychedelic experience might do you some good. 

play drums. drums are good for you. 

focus more on the quality than the quantity of your relationships

seek out awesome new skills and learn them. take up slacklining. build a traditional self bow. learn survival skills. 

read the bulletproof website and forum! 

geez, everyone wants to turn this into a competition. i think the dude just wants us to list some of the biohacks that we've found most useful based on our own experience.

No, an unpinned thread like this that can have untold replies will get washed out and eventually lost down the chain as more new topics push it down the line, then someone will start a new thread requesting the same thing as this one because you can't find it anymore, and the search function has been determined useless (by pure observation).
    My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • Bulletproof ModeratorBulletproof Moderator Upgraded Mod Admin
    Totally agree. The "personal bio-hacking" forum was supposed to be like that. I wanted to kick it off with one if your athletic protocols.
  • StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

My most successful biohack was finding the Bulletproof Executive blog. I was into learning about health, food, improving your environment and removing toxins etc, but finding BPE has rocketed my knowledge of these things as well as things I never knew existed!

Here is a graph of my awareness of all this awesome stuff:

graph-rev.jpg

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

But for a better actual hack answer, my top hacks so far have been:

1) Losing 13kg by restricting carbs (Slow-Carb diet, sorry!)

2) Killing my 2:30pm crashes and powering through the day by have a BPC for breakfast

• I do a lot of the things Dave suggests (diet, sleep, emwave, supplements) plus I exercise 45 minutes a day 5 times a week minimum. Results:

- melasma is gone

- belly fat reduced significantly

- no more digestive pain

- feel sharper

- better moods

- hair does not fall out in the shower like it used to

• @drumminangoleiro: Could you enlighten me as to what exactly 'yin yoga' is? I've been thinking about various forms of yoga for a long time, it seems good for just about everything. Also, where could I learn Capoeira? I'd enjoy that as well. If I could, for exercise and just pure pleasure and entertainment, I'd definitely go more of the MoveNat, parkour, capoeria, tai chi, body and environment means of exercise and meditation. Any time I use my body it's meditative for me. Oddly enough tabata sprints are the most effective thing at making me mindful, lol.

@mmejoana & ThatStevenBaker: glad to hear of your guys' success, keep it up!

I may use the BreathSlim in a bit with SquareEater loaded up on this: http://squareeater.com/square004. Hopefully I can borrow my brothers headphones before, although they aren't entirely needed. If I do this, I'll post back with my experience. Tomorrow - epsom salt + lavender and sodium bicarbonate bath with either the BreathSlim or Elevation Training mask. 

http://equilibriohm.wordpress.com/

http://biohacksblog.com/

Natural ability without education has more often raised a man to glory and virtue than education without natural ability. - Marcus Aurelius 

• yin yoga is very slow, relaxed, but intense in its own way. the poses don't involve very much muscular engagement, in fact you want to relax anything that you don't need to support the pose. the poses are held for 3-5 minutes usually. the idea is that it takes that long to get into the deeper connective tissue and tendons. it mostly focuses on hips, knees, and ankles, but there's a bit of upper body stuff there too. i usually find that it feels like i just got a massage, and walking feels extra smooth afterwards. 

i hype up capoeira cause its can be most awesome stuff in the world, but its really a mixed bag. i feel like i was lucky enough to get connected into a pretty awesome lineage with an amazing teacher. i see you're from illinois...we used to actually have a satellite out in peoria. the guy who was running that kinda fell off but its possible that he's running a group of some sort. otherwise, i haven't really been too into the stuff i've seen listed in the area. i've actually thought about trying to go hit up some capoeira groups in chicago just cause its good to interact with other folks, but they just don't seem interesting enough to go out there just for that.it might be interesting for you as a newbie to check 'em out though, or maybe if you find some hidden Capoeira Angola gem out there definitely let me know!  

Parkour is one of those things that seems like it would really trash your body. My teacher says he used to do it "before it was called parkour", but stopped because it is pretty horrendous on the knees. Thats one of the things I really like about him, he really made me think about what effects things have in the long term. 

• There is only one solution (short sighted and closed minded declaration, I know). There would need to be a forum section titled "top bio hacks as created by members" this section would have new topic creation disabled, entrance qualification being determined by requests sent to moderators for deliberation and approval, or they could set up a poll with the current top 5 bio hacks based on number of "likes", view count, and/or replies, this poll list would have to be kept current as items transferred from poll to board.

Totally agree. The "personal bio-hacking" forum was supposed to be like that. I wanted to kick it off with one if your athletic protocols.

Like most people here that come to the forum they want to better themselves one way or another. Searching through the forum is an excellent way to do just that. It`s no competition trying to better oneself through biohacks. It`s free and made so through Dave`s goodwill passing it down to us all. The question I asked was a simple one and was meant for community members here in the forum so that they could "list some of the biohacks that they found most useful based on their own experience" (thanks Drumminangoleiro, your words).

Like Jason Miller says, this really ought to be regulated in some way, if not just for safety, ethical and have moderators approval of a sort....but then it made me think....all threads here are approved by the moderators aren`t they?

In regard to searchability having an unpinned thread like this "that can have untold replies will get washed out and eventually lost down the chain as more new topics push it down the line" (thanks Jason, your words) I think I`d like to formally ask The Moderator to have this question Pinned. So many of us here would love to read what our community members have learnt and achieved.

Not a competition, just honest biohacks achieved that can be passed on for others to enjoy.

To those of you that have contributed already to this thread...a huge thanks from all of us here.

Moderator please note* Jason Miller your athletic protocols would be welcomed with open arms here.

• Does Dave ever actually get on and comment?

I am a member in Jack Kruse's forums and he seems to read them all and contribute.....

Does Dave ever actually get on and comment?

I am a member in Jack Kruse's forums and he seems to read them all and contribute.....

Thank you for providing an example.
  • Taking Vitamin A to enable suntanning/sun resistance in us pasty white folks was a huge hack for me this summer.  I am now reading up on the tooth protocols and they should find their place on such a board also.  I can +1 Jason's protocols like the protein shake before and after weight lifting to gain lean muscle mass as well as back-loading carbs.  It's hard for me to attribute any one protocol for my gaining 15 lbs of muscle while maintaining low body fat but I would think those were key factors.

• ohhhhh....its the vitamin A? i've been wondering why bulletproof diet and supplements seem to have helped me avoid getting burnt all summer despite not using sunscreen. 

Development stage muscle growth and repair hack:

Been playing around with this a bit, seems to be good so far with sporadic usage, now starting full implementation, you can join along if you want.

The theory:

Seeing as during sleep is the time for growth and repair due to gh release and other fun stuff, and also training legs has a similar gh increase and helps overall growth, I feel that if you properly combine the two you will get a powerhouse effect providing the best opportunity for getting the most out of your training.

The protocol:

On training days perform 100 squats an hour before bed, I chose 100 because crossfit makes everything easy, this number can be somewhere around 50, but as it becomes attainable you should increase it, the pace is is 1 second down and 1 second up, when it starts to burn, pause at the top just until the lactic acid dissipates and continue, don't pause to walk around, this is one continuous set.  If you work up to 100 and it becomes easy, do it faster.  If you have shitty squatting technique, put a chair behind you and do sit and stands, this will keep your knees behind your toes.

Worst case scenario:

this becomes the protocol for attaining the nicest ass and legs imaginable (women take note)

• I can give that a try and let you know of the results.  Funny thing is I had been doing 150 Hindu squats(about one second up one down no rest in there) after my workout which is right before bed.  Well to be most accurate I have 1 protein shake with NZ whey, BCAA, Glutamine, Creatine and gelatin.  Then work out ending with 150 Hindu squats and after the same but no gelatin and instead vitamin C then about 1/2 - 1 sweet potato fried in coconut oil.  Then off to sleep.  So perhaps you might say I have been doing this simply due to my late training schedule.  Unless it must be done right before bed and not about 15 min before.  I stopped doing this as I guessed it was not part of the magic formula that has got me into the shape I am in currently and I just hate doing it.  But hell, all exercises I hate are always the best ones.

I can give that a try and let you know of the results. Funny thing is I had been doing 150 Hindu squats(about one second up one down no rest in there) after my workout which is right before bed. Well to be most accurate I have 1 protein shake with NZ whey, BCAA, Glutamine, Creatine and gelatin. Then work out ending with 150 Hindu squats and after the same but no gelatin and instead vitamin C then about 1/2 - 1 sweet potato fried in coconut oil. Then off to sleep. So perhaps you might say I have been doing this simply due to my late training schedule. Unless it must be done right before bed and not about 15 min before. I stopped doing this as I guessed it was not part of the magic formula that has got me into the shape I am in currently and I just hate doing it. But hell, all exercises I hate are always the best ones.

Had to look up Hindu squat, for the love of god don't do the version where your heels come off the floor and knees way forward.
  • those theories sound interesting, but i generally try to avoid intense physical activity right before bed...as well as eating right before bed. i would think that would lessen my deep sleep and negate the effects of trying to combine them.

That's why it's an hour before, it's also not meant to be intense, start at 20 and go up by tens (locate your capacity).

Does Dave ever actually get on and comment?

When Dave is in the country and not traveling, he gets on and answers community questions.  In fact, there is a pinned thread in General Discussion that he regularly visits.

Tomorrow, I am moving this thread to Personal Biohacking & Quantified Self where it will be pinned.

• 1. BulletProof coffee.

It is basically the only coffee I can drink and not get sinus infections from (Upgraded Coffee, that is), and then the genius and life-sustaining addition of grass-fed butter and MCT oil... I could live off this stuff.

2. Using (the right) carbs correctly for body-composition goals.

Kiefer's CarbNite Solution and Carb BackLoading really got me onto carb timing and the effective use of carbs in the diet.

3. Getting my diet and supplements to a basic level of awesomeness.

I mean basically eating Bulletproof and taking some of the basic supplement stack, at least magnesium and postassium, vitamin d3, and good quality fish oil.  Oh yes, and creatine monohydrate and leucine (for muscle-growth).

4. Resistance training on a regular basis.

Makes me feel way better, and helps me to build precious muscle.  And is a focused time of day, or every few days, when I can practice mindfulness in regards to my physical form.

5. HeartMath Inner Balance Sensor training.

Still just getting to know this one, but I can tell that it helps me to get a better relationship with my central nervous system.

These are the big ones that I've found to be the broad-strokes, the ones that get me in the ball-park of not spiraling downward in my health and mind.

Piracetam was a possible 6th entry for me, but I'm still just getting to explore the world of nootropics and that aspect of bio-hacking... but I like what I've experienced so far.

• Tomorrow, I am moving this thread to Personal Biohacking & Quantified Self where it will be pinned.

Thank you for listening to your community members and as you can see some have already showed their appreciation by hitting the like button.

I love them too, they fixed my running.

• 1. BulletProof coffee.

It is basically the only coffee I can drink and not get sinus infections from (Upgraded Coffee, that is), and then the genius and life-sustaining addition of grass-fed butter and MCT oil... I could live off this stuff.

2. Using (the right) carbs correctly for body-composition goals.

Kiefer's CarbNite Solution and Carb BackLoading really got me onto carb timing and the effective use of carbs in the diet.

3. Getting my diet and supplements to a basic level of awesomeness.

I mean basically eating Bulletproof and taking some of the basic supplement stack, at least magnesium and postassium, vitamin d3, and good quality fish oil.  Oh yes, and creatine monohydrate and leucine (for muscle-growth).

4. Resistance training on a regular basis.

Makes me feel way better, and helps me to build precious muscle.  And is a focused time of day, or every few days, when I can practice mindfulness in regards to my physical form.

5. HeartMath Inner Balance Sensor training.

Still just getting to know this one, but I can tell that it helps me to get a better relationship with my central nervous system.

These are the big ones that I've found to be the broad-strokes, the ones that get me in the ball-park of not spiraling downward in my health and mind.

Piracetam was a possible 6th entry for me, but I'm still just getting to explore the world of nootropics and that aspect of bio-hacking... but I like what I've experienced so far.

Thanks for the info on Kiefer's CarbNite Solution and Carb BackLoading.

Both make a great read and very informative.

Thanks for sharing.

• Dave introduced me to the Emwave.  I bought a used Emwave 1 off Amazon and it has changed my life.  I used it regularly for a few weeks and I found that my stress level is much lower than it used to be.  I am in high-tech sales and work, especially during certain times, can be quite stressful.  Using the Emwave and thinking about puppies or thinking about how much I love my family, has really dropped my stress level.