What Are The Best Biohacks From The Bulletproof Forum Community?

2»

Comments

• These are not in any particular order BTW

1. Sungazing. Fantastic. My wife and I have been doing it since 2008/2009. Great for the eyes etc. I just did a post on the "Vision Hacking" thread.

2. Raw Paleo/ Primal diet. Excellent. I eat a lot less and don't feel hungry or overstuffed. Teeth have not had any problems since I started about 2 to three years ago.

3. Barefoot walking on the earth (earthing) I love it. A nice acupressure workout along with the earthing plus my feet just feel better. I do the walking on the toes as much as possible also. I also have toe shoes which I like.

4. Meditation - doing TM since 1987, TM Siddhis since 1996. Best thing for my internal well being thus far.

5. Yoga since I was 15 or so. grrrrreat.

6. Pranayama off and on for years

7. Inclined Bed Therapy -  learned about it from Nenah Silver's book "The Rife Handbook" which has all kinds of alternative medical info. Our legs, ankles, back are much more solid since we started. Sleeping is much better for my wife and I stopped snoring, although crappy food or late nights will bring it back. Breathing slows, pulse reduces, etc during sleep. Blood does a much more efficient job and interestingly people with back damage report very fast healing and old wounds just heal, kidneys work better, you name it. There are a few people who do not do well with it, but these people have other serious issues.

Just raise the head of your bed up a few inches wait a week, then a few more inches, wait a week and raise it to a total of 8 inches.

You may have headaches or weird stuff happen for the first day or week or month but once you get through that part, it is smooth sailing. You'll notice increased urination initially as your body starts to clean itself out. You will probably also feel warmer as the blood is circulating better.

People with MS etc. report benefits.

We even bought bed risers from Xcess Cargo for around 8 to 10 Canadian Dollars to take with us when we go to hotels.

8. Ayurveda - learned about it just after I learned meditation. I rarely get sick, because I eat foods that work for me. I used to work with two guys who were forever sick with something, and despite being in close proximity (pilot) and sharing headsets with microphones, I never caught any of their garbage. One big breakthrough was the diet and breakfast especially, that Vaidya Gupta (Ottawa Canada) gave me. It's the best, absolute primo, breaky imaginable and custom made.

9.Rife machine as a first aid kit. I just posted a reply in the thread on 'psoriasis' about this little gem.

10 This website! Just discovered it and I love it!

11. Maharishi Amrit Kalash - I credit this as the best antioxidant and nutrient mix available and definitely one of the best recipes from Ayurveda. We get the package with the tabs and the paste. We get it from India much cheaper.

12. Sunshine - I bag as many rays as I can. Sometimes I sunbathe nude, early in the Am. Our backyard is private.

13 Abhyanga or self body massage 

http://abhyanga-rub-yourself-the-right-way.blogspot.ca/2012/04/abhyanga-or.html

• The Future;

I plan to check out the coffee but I do not really need a boost to get me going. I am an A-type. I gave up coffee before because I was getting an ulcer from it. I used to drink one at work early in the AM but it was like Roto-Router. 20 minutes after airborne I would have to make a mad dash for the can, or die.

Heartmath is in my future but I am not sure which to get;

the one that is a small walkman,

the earclip with the computer program

the one for my iphone 3gs

Powerlungs or equivalent. I see some talk about breath slim ??? That breathing system Buteyko looks interesting. Where can I learn it?

I know that some sort of neurotraining is in order. Neuro-Optimal looks like a great idea, but since deciding to get divorced cleaned me out fiscally, I am instead looking at others like SmartBrain although that may be more geared towards children, not sure. Any suggestions?

The Sota Brain Tuner looks interesting, not sure

The 'upgraded focus brain tuner' looks interesting.

The vibe vibration plate looks interesting, but for now I will be test driving my ChiAmp powered speaker on my massage table.

Best regards

• Anyone have a recent Best Biohacks that they`d care to share?
  • Eating Natto to get my K2 is my latest one.  I am not sure I will ever grow to like it but I now consume this with rice as my post workout 'treat'.  If you should aim to get supplements by real food as much as possible you can't beat Natto for getting K2.  I think I will be getting a yogurt maker and start making my own natto, getting to the japanese store is not easy.

• NickatNickat
    edited December 2013

Eating Natto to get my K2 is my latest one.  I am not sure I will ever grow to like it but I now consume this with rice as my post workout 'treat'.  If you should aim to get supplements by real food as much as possible you can't beat Natto for getting K2.  I think I will be getting a yogurt maker and start making my own natto, getting to the japanese store is not easy.

That`s cool. It`s all about the gut flora. Maybe you can document it here and show others just how it goes.

For those that don`t know what Natto is look here: http://www.ynest.com/nattoeng.htm

Basically not very BP at all as defined by Dave as it`s fermented food made of soybeans.

The choice is yours.

Lastly as we are on the topic of fermented foods here now, how about the use of Sauerkraut.

A traditional fermented vegetable dish  rich in friendly bacteria. It`s the raw living pro biotic with
    Lactobacillus to aid digestion, repopulate the gastrointestinal tract with healthy bacteria and confer a number of health benefits. I think John Brisson and his upcoming book would have plenty to say about the use of this fermented food source and why its so good for us too.

Please make sure the Sauerkraut is the one pickled in salt brime and not vinegar.

• NickatNickat
    edited December 2013

OKay time to look ahead a little (March 2014). Water and you from Blufit.

We all need water but mastering how often to drink it and staying hydrated isn`t always easy to stay optimized.

20130913171251-bf_inforgraphic_1.png?137

The Blufit app collects a variety of factors such as weight, age, temperature and humidity to determine exactly how much water you need. Next, you start drinking from your BluFit bottle. BluFit automatically records the time and amount of water you drink and transmits the data to your phone. If you start to fall behind with your hydration, BlueFit has customizable alert lights, sounds and phone notifications to keep you on track. You’ll never be dehydrated again!

BluFit's conception planned to integrate with all major smartphones.

Due to the market size they decided to focus first on Android and iOS, and then will be following up with other mobile platforms.  

The mobile application will be included with the BluFit water bottle and the BluFit app will be a free download available in app stores worldwide.

20131017152521-sm_app_demo.png?138204872

Bottle looks good too in blue, black, or pink wrap.

20130913171729-product_rainbow.jpg?13791

Staying hydrated the right way has gotta be a great biohack.

Sip a little.

• KirmokinKirmokin freshpotential

Blue blockers/orange glasses - I've only had these for a few weeks but the effect is pretty obvious. They produce a heaviness sensation in my face similar to when I take 5HTP (which also cause melatonin production) and I find that I fall asleep quicker than without. Best $7 I ever spent (cheapest on ebay)

Meditation/HRV - I meditated almost daily for more than a year before getting inner balance for iOS, now I do both daily. Love it, makes you über calm in all situations, and I feel like the HRV especially has allowed me to develop a very keen sense of when my body enters a low level fight or flight mode.

BP'ish diet/carb back-loading - I had no idea I could have this much energy and gain muscle by eating only fat for breakfast, and waiting until the evening before eating carbs.

Vision improvement - Using the bates method/yoga for your eyes by meir schneider, I reduced my prescription from -3 to -2. Seeing better is one of the best experiences I've had, unfortunately I'm a lazy asshole and since getting my one eye poked and vision worsened, I haven't had the motivation to keep doing this.

Vitamin D/C - I have not been sick since I started taking these 3 months ago (6000IUs and 500-1000mg per day), except for a stomach parasite. Ironically I feel like I might be developing some kind of common cold today. Usually when I feel some sickness or cold starting (after I started taking these), it dissolves within 1-2 days, which is awesome since I used to get sick quite often.

Check out my site at http://www.fresh-potential.com

• Lift.do has been a gamechanging lifehacking tool for me!

• edited March 2014

Best personal biohack:

-Eye patching my dominant right eye to improve logical, left-sided brain activity while reducing distracting lateralization (personal fix)

3 best general Biohacks of my design but inspired by others:

-Daily, 2 cup epsom salt baths for a week to eliminate social anxiety and discomfort with eye contact

-Being OK with just a little bit of exercise. Push yourself too hard and it won't be fun. If it's not fun, you won't do it again. 

-The dungeon nap: Mid-day fatigue killer. Bring pillows and a blanket into your bathroom/closet. No lights, no phones. Take a krill oil pill and drink a bottle of water. Set your phone alarm to go off in 22 minutes and leave it outside the dungeon. Close the door and meditate while lying down. You'll fall asleep if you don't try, waking up fully rested and happy. 

For more follow me on twitter @Biologyhacks

Biohacking Twitter

Biology Hacker Blog

[twitter]BiologyHacker[/twitter]

• As a Japanese, I used to eat natto all the time. Unfortunately, it only tastes good with soy sauce, which is not BP.

Eating Natto to get my K2 is my latest one.  I am not sure I will ever grow to like it but I now consume this with rice as my post workout 'treat'.  If you should aim to get supplements by real food as much as possible you can't beat Natto for getting K2.  I think I will be getting a yogurt maker and start making my own natto, getting to the japanese store is not easy.

• HazakinsHazakins Graveyard shift putting me in the Grave!

Have you ever tried MCT and coconut aminos?

As a Japanese, I used to eat natto all the time. Unfortunately, it only tastes good with soy sauce, which is not BP.

Trying to get a grasp on Ketosis? Watch this!

• NickatNickat
    edited March 2014

Please elaborate and is this the stuff you use like soy source but is n`t?

• Yessir. I have a pantry full of cococnut aminos. 

Yeah, I've started to put CA on my natto and mochi.

Have you ever tried MCT and coconut aminos?

• NickatNickat
    edited April 2014
    Here`s the verdict from Mark`s Daily Apple on Coconut Aminos.

Coconut Aminos

Coconut aminos are the soy sauce replacement du jour, a gluten-free, soy-free combination of aged coconut sap and sea salt that tastes somewhat like soy sauce. It’s not an exact match, but it’s not really trying to be an exact match. Coconut aminos are their own beasts, and these happen to be tasty beasts.

That said, there’s nothing really remarkable or magical about them. Its purveyors like to talk about the presence of 17 amino acids, but so what? Trace amounts of certain amino acids in a sauce that you’ll consume by the tablespoonful probably aren’t going to amount to much of anything. Consume it for the unique taste and the lack of soy and wheat.

The verdict was it`s Primal with a 5g serving giving 113mg sodium.

• HazakinsHazakins Graveyard shift putting me in the Grave!

So I get the Coconut Secret Raw Coconut Aminos to avoid soy and MSG. Been using it on my "Carb refeed day" take the wife to all you can eat sushi and we mix the coconut aminos with MCT, sea salt, and whatever wasabi they have at the joint.

Not sure if it is bulletproof but helps me avoid the soy sauce headaches  

Trying to get a grasp on Ketosis? Watch this!

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
    Watch out for the gluten containing imitation crab meat.
    My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • hzahza ✭✭

Wasabi is also great in natto with a little turmeric and vinegar.

• Interesting.

Chilli cucumin and vinegar with fermented food.
  • NickatNickat
    edited June 2014
    Would like to air your attention to the Mint Asure Breath Capsules.

Not just any old breath freshener for those that suffer from ketosis breath etc ... works from the inside out and without just masking fumes. It works on the digestive gases within and bad breath in the mouth. It`s all natural, sugar free with the use of Xylitol. It`s unlike a mouthwash in that it uses a mint-coated "parsley oil" capsule that you hold in your mouth and then swallow.

An easy occasional breath fresh hack.
  • NickatNickat
    edited July 2014
    http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/11529-salutaris-drops/#entry90496

The Best Biohack From The Bulletproof Forum Community....quite possibly.
  • You are too kind.  I suppose only time will tell if CBD will ever hit the mainstream.

• Shout out: http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/5614-earthing-yourself-multimeter-test-application/page-3

Not that thread really needs one as Ian has documented it so well but it has to be an awesome hack from our community member.

Earthing might not be so costly after all.

• High level performing athletes need to record and adjust their food intake to facilitate current and changing goals in training and output says Jason Miller. His method and calculation can be adapted to support your goals in the bio hacking sphere of our community. If you missed the pinned thread take a look: http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/2156-bulletproofing-the-athlete-a-fully-customizable-template-for-tracking-and-changing-food-intake-based-on-changing-goals/

• I was asked to place this here:

I did a personal experiment based on this studyhttps://www.sciencenews.org/article/oxytocin-stimulates-repair-old-mice%E2%80%99s-muscles

PUBMED Abstract here  http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24915299

The study showed that older mice that were administered an exogenous dose of oxytocin regained their muscles youthful ability to repair itself.  I found out about it though our company's chemist whose blog is here http://patrickarnoldblog.com/making-old-muscles-new-again-with-oxytocin/

I am nearing 50. I work out intensely and had noticed a decline in my recuperative powers so this study intrigued me enough to see if I could replicate it on myself.  II will point out at this point that this is an extreme biohack and involves self injecting a research chemical/peptide. I am not recommending nor condoning it for anyone else. I am only giving my personal experiences. 

The Protocol:

One daily subcutaneous injection post workout of 100 mcg of Oxytocin in bacteriostatic water. On not workout days injection before breakfast. 

After 13 days here are my findings and results:

Side Effects: Headaches and minor flushing are the only unpleasant side effects I've noticed. Minor heart racing but barely noticeable.

Apparent Effects:

Without taking muscle core samples all I can give are anecdotal observations. I have been at this for a long time and know my body pretty well so take it for what it is worth.

Going in I had a nagging left forearm muscle strain in my brachioradialis. It has been bothering me since before I moved to Champaign in July. I was having to use hooks on my second set of chins and curls were painful. It would not heal even after a two week layoff. Well, its now pain free. Got through my entire back and bi routine pain free.

For the last two months I've had a nagging teres minor strain and it also is pain free. I cannot say with certainty that this is due to the oxytocin but it it the only change that I have made to my regimen.

The most noticeable change for me though, is the lack of DOMS following heavy leg days. I've cranked out 3 pr setting leg days in a row. usually such days would leave me sore and nearly crippled for the next 3-4 days. Leg day was day before yesterday and I pushed hard, and incorporated deep stretching movements. Usually a recipe for extreme pain the next few days . Today barely any noticeable soreness. I've been doing leg presses, heavy ones, for about a month now. I'd stopped doing them because they were causing back soreness. Thanks to a tip from Dr. Squat himself Fred Hatfield, I can do them with no back pain and am getting triples with 1000lbs. I can no longer get my thighs into all but two pairs of my jeans. Its working.

So I am calling oxytocin a great biohack for those of us above 40. Keep in mind that I am almost 50 so I fit the ageing muscle qualification. If you read the study you will find young mice did not benefit from the exogenous oxytoxin. I am going to run the stuff for approx 2 months, its cheap enough. I think this would have great potential treating muscle injuries in an aging population.  Sanssoucish asked me to post my results here. You can find the full account in the regular forum 

E-PHARM and PROTOTYPE Nutrition Representative

• Best personal biohack:

-Eye patching my dominant right eye to improve logical, left-sided brain activity while reducing distracting lateralization (personal fix)

3 best general Biohacks of my design but inspired by others:

-Daily, 2 cup epsom salt baths for a week to eliminate social anxiety and discomfort with eye contact

-Being OK with just a little bit of exercise. Push yourself too hard and it won't be fun. If it's not fun, you won't do it again. 

-The dungeon nap: Mid-day fatigue killer. Bring pillows and a blanket into your bathroom/closet. No lights, no phones. Take a krill oil pill and drink a bottle of water. Set your phone alarm to go off in 22 minutes and leave it outside the dungeon. Close the door and meditate while lying down. You'll fall asleep if you don't try, waking up fully rested and happy. 

For more follow me on twitter @Biologyhacks

@Biology Hacker just an fyi--eye patching your right eye would cause your left hemisphere to receive no visual input, not your right hemisphere. If you want to improve logical, left-sided brain activity you should eye patch your left eye. Or practice visualization techniques to bring blood to the front of your brain (prefrontal cortex is located behind your forehead and is responsible for rational thinking, focus, etc.) 

• NickatNickat
    edited March 2015

From a woman-specific point of view, Skye St. John's book makes the BP diet simple and easier to understand. Has she Biohacked and refined some specifics that relate to woman?
    http://www.amazon.com/Fail-Fat-Burning-For-Women-ebook/dp/B00MNRJVWG
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/279-4710244-8023408?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=No+Fail+Fat+Burning+For+Women%3A+Get+the+weight+loss+edge+for+your+optimal+physique

BxC7AikCIAABTW1.jpg

• I was asked to place this here:

I did a personal experiment based on this studyhttps://www.sciencenews.org/article/oxytocin-stimulates-repair-old-mice%E2%80%99s-muscles

PUBMED Abstract here  http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24915299

The study showed that older mice that were administered an exogenous dose of oxytocin regained their muscles youthful ability to repair itself.  I found out about it though our company's chemist whose blog is here http://patrickarnoldblog.com/making-old-muscles-new-again-with-oxytocin/

I am nearing 50. I work out intensely and had noticed a decline in my recuperative powers so this study intrigued me enough to see if I could replicate it on myself.  II will point out at this point that this is an extreme biohack and involves self injecting a research chemical/peptide. I am not recommending nor condoning it for anyone else. I am only giving my personal experiences. 

The Protocol:

One daily subcutaneous injection post workout of 100 mcg of Oxytocin in bacteriostatic water. On not workout days injection before breakfast. 

After 13 days here are my findings and results:

Side Effects: Headaches and minor flushing are the only unpleasant side effects I've noticed. Minor heart racing but barely noticeable.

Apparent Effects:

Without taking muscle core samples all I can give are anecdotal observations. I have been at this for a long time and know my body pretty well so take it for what it is worth.

Going in I had a nagging left forearm muscle strain in my brachioradialis. It has been bothering me since before I moved to Champaign in July. I was having to use hooks on my second set of chins and curls were painful. It would not heal even after a two week layoff. Well, its now pain free. Got through my entire back and bi routine pain free.

For the last two months I've had a nagging teres minor strain and it also is pain free. I cannot say with certainty that this is due to the oxytocin but it it the only change that I have made to my regimen.

The most noticeable change for me though, is the lack of DOMS following heavy leg days. I've cranked out 3 pr setting leg days in a row. usually such days would leave me sore and nearly crippled for the next 3-4 days. Leg day was day before yesterday and I pushed hard, and incorporated deep stretching movements. Usually a recipe for extreme pain the next few days . Today barely any noticeable soreness. I've been doing leg presses, heavy ones, for about a month now. I'd stopped doing them because they were causing back soreness. Thanks to a tip from Dr. Squat himself Fred Hatfield, I can do them with no back pain and am getting triples with 1000lbs. I can no longer get my thighs into all but two pairs of my jeans. Its working.

So I am calling oxytocin a great biohack for those of us above 40. Keep in mind that I am almost 50 so I fit the ageing muscle qualification. If you read the study you will find young mice did not benefit from the exogenous oxytoxin. I am going to run the stuff for approx 2 months, its cheap enough. I think this would have great potential treating muscle injuries in an aging population.  Sanssoucish asked me to post my results here. You can find the full account in the regular forum 

Does oxytocin affect Testosterone levels?

• edited October 2015

Regarding breathing...

Not to be flippant, but JUST BREATHE is my mantra. One can buy an Incentive Spirometer for under $10 to increase lung capacity and improve exhalation capacity (which increases net tidal volume). As an Advance Practice Nurse I keep a few different respiratory training devices(tools) in the house. The kids love 'playing' (I make all training a 'play' time...they are usually 20 before they get it).  The BreathSlim is a high priced repurposing of the same IS concept at 6x the price.   

I recommend ten minutes of breathing exercises as a prequel to one's evening meditation time, and yoga breathing in the mornings with one's yoga stretches or before/with that morning walk (runners should do some yoga breathing before heading out).

when life gets busy and kinda crazy it is easy to lose focus. I lost myself for a few years (stopped exercising, ate carbs, drank wine, and even stopped meditating) and paid a hefty price which served to remind me of what is my real truth.  Wellness is more than the absence of disease. Oxygen and water (both pure) are life. Oxygen through our lungs, enhanced flow to our muscles (exercise), revitalizes us.  Ultimately, we are genetically meant to be fruitarians. Yes, some times in history we have been carnivores and grazed on local flora but we are designed to live healthiest and longest on low sugar fruits, a variety of nuts and vegetables, eating in line with our anatomic systems' designs. That being said, however, many people have let themselves become too sick from a lifetime of bad habits (much through naivety), and using the BP diet with IF will get them back on track.

Once weight lose is complete, stay off all white sugar, wheat and artificial sweeteners. Transition to a diet where you eat lightly, (which you will want to do by then), and live primarily on vegetables, berries and occasional other proteins. We are but genetically modified apes, so must eat their diet with a few additions. 

Don't forget to breathe (well and often). 

• edited December 2015

Does Dave ever actually get on and comment?

I am a member in Jack Kruse's forums and he seems to read them all and contribute.....

Never seen Dave post personally - he has far more important things to do that his minions (many of whom know just as much as Dave does) cannot do - i.e podcasting/marketing.

2»