Modafinil - Swollen Feet & (C)Ankles

Hau,

I have been taking Modafinil with very good results, as far as dissolving sleepiness in the morning, and also allowing me to laser-focus on certain tasks that sometimes become menial or lengthy.

I should note, I have been taking Modvigil, "Marketed by Signature Pharmaceuticals, Ltd., Mumbai"   "Manufactured in India by RAB Pharmaceuticals & Research Ltd."  

There are manifold types of generic/brand names for Modafinil, which are very similar-  Modavigil, Modvigil, Modafigil, etc.  I have MODVIGIL.

the package states, "Each uncoated tablet contains : Modafinil U.S.P.  200mg, Excipients  q.s."

I had been taking the Modvigil, daily, with no side-effects for approximately 3-4 months, absolutely no negative effects.

However, starting a few weeks ago, my ankles and feet became quite swollen-  something I have never experienced before.  One friend mentioned I looked like I had Hobbit feet, and I thought that was a pleasant way to put it.

I was concerned, and I pretty quickly came to believe it was the Modvigil.  So, I cut it out for a couple days.  Within two days, my feet and ankles were back to normal-  no swelling, no retaining of water (I assume that is the cause of the swelling.)

So, I then experimented and tried it daily again for about 5 days.  The swelling returned.  Take one day off, and the swelling disappeared.  

Intuitively, and obviously, the proper course would be to either completely do away with supplementing with Modvigil, or (the route I am presently taking) not using 200mg 1x per day taken in the morning, and not using the Modvigil more than five days per week.  I have been taking it more like 4 days per week, average.

Any thoughts?  Any idea if this could be a Modvigil issue-  in other words, would a different brand, Modafinil, for example, be less likely to cause the foot and ankle swelling?  Adrafinil?

I appreciate all comments and suggestions.  Thank you!

Comments

• RodRod The Rodfather

There are so many variability's, the only way you will know is if you test the other ones out. Is that an option? 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• You take one 200mg pill in the morning? What about cutting it in half, and trying 100 mg? I personally prefer the 100mg dose, assuming I get about 7 hours of good sleep. 

DId you keep everything you could exactly the same during your experiment? 

• edited August 2013

There are so many variability's, the only way you will know is if you test the other ones out. Is that an option? 

Theoretically, of course it is possible, but I do not want to know the answer *that* badly.  If I were writing a paper or conducting in-depth research, then yes, your advice would actually be the best route.

However, I am unwilling to go through all the work (timergy) necessary.  BUT, I like your thinking!  Any other advice?

• You take one 200mg pill in the morning? What about cutting it in half, and trying 100 mg? I personally prefer the 100mg dose, assuming I get about 7 hours of good sleep. 

DId you keep everything you could exactly the same during your experiment? 

1. Yes, one 200mg pill in the morning.

2. I have tried that twice, and I did not recall the effects/results.  I shall give that a try and I will focus on the effects throughout the day-  to see if there is indeed a noticeable difference, and if perhaps that 100mg dose would allow me to continue 100mg every day with no swelling issues.

3. You mention 7 hours of sleep.  Is that average for you?  Do you have a goal for # of hours you would like to sleep per evening (on average)?

4, Yes, I did keep all supplement usage identical, as well as basically the same diet, and hours of sleep, exercise, etc.

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it!

I did discover through web research, that swollen ankles and swollen feet is a somewhat common side effect of modafinil.  My biggest concern is if it is dangerous.

• RodRod The Rodfather

Theoretically, of course it is possible, but I do not want to know the answer *that* badly.  If I were writing a paper or conducting in-depth research, then yes, your advice would actually be the best route.

However, I am unwilling to go through all the work (timergy) necessary.  BUT, I like your thinking!  Any other advice?

I'm not sure about advice but I know that if the body is retaining water, you can override it by drinking more water. People with Edema i believe it's called can drink more water and the body will reverse the retention. I'm not sure if that applies to acute situations. I don't think it's dangerous personally if it's just water retention but I'm not sure. 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• 1. Yes, one 200mg pill in the morning.

2. I have tried that twice, and I did not recall the effects/results.  I shall give that a try and I will focus on the effects throughout the day-  to see if there is indeed a noticeable difference, and if perhaps that 100mg dose would allow me to continue 100mg every day with no swelling issues.

3. You mention 7 hours of sleep.  Is that average for you?  Do you have a goal for # of hours you would like to sleep per evening (on average)?

4, Yes, I did keep all supplement usage identical, as well as basically the same diet, and hours of sleep, exercise, etc.

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it!

I did discover through web research, that swollen ankles and swollen feet is a somewhat common side effect of modafinil.  My biggest concern is if it is dangerous.

I've been measuring my sleep using an android app called Electric Sleep. Seems to me that 7 hours is good for me to be fully rested. Its also attainable. 8 hours or more is just unreasonable for my schedule. 

Good luck with everything and let us know what you find! Hopefully its not the modafinil. 

• I have the same problem. I thought it was my shoes though.

• I have the same problem. I thought it was my shoes though.

Try different shoes!  Maybe it is the shoes.   

Have you had any luck alleviating the swollen feet?  

I wish I was able to use the Modafinil regularly without this issue.  

• I recently started modafinil, 1stly the same modavigil mentioned at the very top, but being "kinda" atune with my body I could tell, despite it being 1st time taken anything containing modafinil, it was "lacking".
    I tried adrafinil, an outdated (originally French) precursor befote getting shipment of modalert by Sun Pharma, India, a tad more expensive but worth it.
    My feet also ballooned up while still taking last of modavigil, moreso on adrafinil.
    I checked myself into hospital but having "more than a bit" of medical knowledge/background knew what tests to order, which others to check but mostly what to pay attention to/what each meant.
    Modafinil is processed in the liver & mine had hard time with Adrafinil. And though swollen feet obviously means excess water, the most efficient and safest way to take modafinil is with lots of water to allow it to be absorbed properly, flushed through your system if you will.

Despite swollen feet, huge, my kidneys were functioning A1, as was liver by 2nd day in hospital. I had info I needed there/then so with 2 sets of bloods taken 12hrs apart with results to come back I checked myself out & did some more empericsl testing.

Eliminating all other variables, keeping all intake & other factors static 3 times with modalert by this time being the only variable, therefore the only possible cause (except phase of the moon) my feet swelled each time.

I have ADD/ADHD issues but it wasn't picked up during my school years due to sheer amount of swimming I did; up at 4am, 3-5km getting out of pool when school mates got outta bed, & back to pool after school for another 3-5km.

To get treatment for ADHD now in my country, especially in this state will take years I don't wanna waste and $1000's in country where GP Dr's, hospitals, ambulances are all free & meds are susidised to $7 each & free rest of yr once reach 60 scripts.

Modafinil has been Godsend to me. I always knew there was something missing, or a "hump" I had trouble getting over, despite doing Mech Engineering at 1 of our highest institutions, & doing well, but I know I'd have done better with it. It's been like a "click" & 5 subjects I glit between become 1 seamless flowing, logical & sane, thought train expressed

It is now a case, as I suppose it was for author of original query, to find a balance between managing to take the modafinil & keep my feet skeletal. And traditional diarehtics won't solve issue simply, no drinking litre of Monster with caffeine ensuring you urinate your feet back to normal.

Yep, modafinil causes swollen feet, sometimes just putting feet up when ever possible is enough.
    And yep, it costs me 15-20 x what any other medication costs me.
    But Water retention is problem, hurdle to overcome, & every package is $100's well spent.
    Now I've found this I'm not giving up just cos puffy feet

• I'm wondering if you have tried any of the amphetamine treatments for ADD/ADHD for comparison?