Atherosclerosis Reversing Bulletproof Smoothie

StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress
edited August 2013 in Anti-aging

A thought crossed my mind today: what if there is some artery damage or arterial plaque already building up in my arteries?

I looked into any ways to reverse it and found a couple of things that I've combined into a new recipe.

Tell me what you think.

Atherosclerosis Reversing Bulletproof Smoothie:

- 30g of Upgraded Chocolate powder

- 50g of grass-fed unsalted butter

- 1/2 a pomegranate

- 300ml of hot water

- Ice

1. Blend the cocoa and butter into the hot water until smoothly mixed.

2. Add ice and blend, to cool the drink down. Alternatively, you could put it in the fridge until cold.

3. Blend in the pomegranate.

Here's some info I found which is behind the recipe:

- Endothelial dysfunction is the major cause of atherosclerosis.

- Cocoa polyphenols and pomegranate have been shown to improve arterial blood flow, promote youthful endothelial function and protect against artery damage.

- Cocoa flavanols improve endothelial function by enhancing nitric oxide bioactivity, increasing blood flow, reducing the tendency of blood clot formation, reducing moderately high blood pressure, and helping LDL resist oxidation, which may prevent the buildup of atherosclerotic plaque in artery walls.

- One of pomegranate’s key mechanisms for supporting cardiovascular health is its ability to modulate nitric oxide activity. In endothelial cells, pomegranate enhances the bioactivity of nitric oxide synthase, an enzyme that generates nitric oxide.

- Pomegranate and cocoa have been shown to limit or reverse atherosclerosis, lower high blood pressure, and improve endothelial function in people with the most serious arterial problems, including heart disease and diabetes.

- Butter (fat) can slow the release of the sugar in the pomegranate.

Some of the studies mentioned a 6-week time frame so I would say that would be a good limit to this so its not a permanent addition. Also that's good since pomegranate is in the orange section of the diet. 

How could I test whether this does anything? Is there anything I could add to this to make it better? Is this all a big waste of time? :wink:

Comments

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭
    edited August 2013

I would add Vitamin C, Lysine, and Proline (using Dr. Linus Pauling's atherosclerosis protocol) and it would be perfect.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

Sounds good, I'll look at those!

I thought about Vit C but I also found a huge list of other vitamins too so skipped it.

I would add Vitamin C, Lysine, and Proline (using Dr. Linus Pauling's atherosclerosis protocol) and it would be perfect.

=====

Do you think you would get sufficient lysine and proline from just using Upgraded Collagen instead?

You could add a serving (size TBD) of each Vit C and Collagen to the recipe.

I'm considering the 6-week experiment of doing a regular BPC in the morning, taking this smoothie for lunch, and having a regular BP food dinner.

Getting the blood tests at beginning and end to see what effects there are.

You could use the collagen I guess, I would just prefer the different amino acids to be sure.

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

• Pauling protocol-- I think:

L-ascorbate (Vitamin C) 5-6 grams a day in divided doses

L-Lysine 5 grams a day in divided doses

L-Proline 2-3 grams a day in divided doses

• Both forms of K2 are supposed to help, correct? should that be in the mix?

Both forms of K2 are supposed to help, correct? should that be in the mix?

=====

I'll look into it! Thanks

• MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

Correct on the K2. Guess what grass-fed butter contains... ;)

No sorcery, just science. 

• TyKTyK Unadvanced Member

First post!

How exactly are you using the pomegranate?  I've never used the fruit before and wonder about the seeds.

Interesting recipe. Thanks for this.

• A thought crossed my mind today: what if there is some artery damage or arterial plaque already building up in my arteries?

I looked into any ways to reverse it and found a couple of things that I've combined into a new recipe.

Tell me what you think.

Atherosclerosis Reversing Bulletproof Smoothie:

- 30g of Upgraded Chocolate powder

- 50g of grass-fed unsalted butter

- 1/2 a pomegranate

- 300ml of hot water

- Ice

1. Blend the cocoa and butter into the hot water until smoothly mixed.

2. Add ice and blend, to cool the drink down. Alternatively, you could put it in the fridge until cold.

3. Blend in the pomegranate.

Here's some info I found which is behind the recipe:

- Endothelial dysfunction is the major cause of atherosclerosis.

- Cocoa polyphenols and pomegranate have been shown to improve arterial blood flow, promote youthful endothelial function and protect against artery damage.

- Cocoa flavanols improve endothelial function by enhancing nitric oxide bioactivity, increasing blood flow, reducing the tendency of blood clot formation, reducing moderately high blood pressure, and helping LDL resist oxidation, which may prevent the buildup of atherosclerotic plaque in artery walls.

- One of pomegranate’s key mechanisms for supporting cardiovascular health is its ability to modulate nitric oxide activity. In endothelial cells, pomegranate enhances the bioactivity of nitric oxide synthase, an enzyme that generates nitric oxide.

- Pomegranate and cocoa have been shown to limit or reverse atherosclerosis, lower high blood pressure, and improve endothelial function in people with the most serious arterial problems, including heart disease and diabetes.

- Butter (fat) can slow the release of the sugar in the pomegranate.

Some of the studies mentioned a 6-week time frame so I would say that would be a good limit to this so its not a permanent addition. Also that's good since pomegranate is in the orange section of the diet. 

How could I test whether this does anything? Is there anything I could add to this to make it better? Is this all a big waste of time? :wink:

I think I will try that smoothie, along with the Pauling/Brisson supplements :)  I don't know if I have any atherosclerosis at this point in my life, but do have a family history of heart disease.  Plus, it sounds tasty.

Mary

• Any luck with this experiment? Thinking about trying this smoothie. Thanks!

• I've been helping my Dad try to reverse atherosclerosis. K2 and magnesium (also in the cacao) are important to remove the calcium from the arteries, He's also taking serrapeptase to reduce the endothelial inflammation and to remove any fibrin. Some of the research suggests that mercury from amalgam filings may be a contributing factor to the development of atherosclerosis via a number of different mechanisms so selenium is also important.

The smoothie looks good.   

I've been helping my Dad try to reverse atherosclerosis. K2 and magnesium (also in the cacao) are important to remove the calcium from the arteries, He's also taking serrapeptase to reduce the endothelial inflammation and to remove any fibrin. Some of the research suggests that mercury from amalgam filings may be a contributing factor to the development of atherosclerosis via a number of different mechanisms so selenium is also important.

The smoothie looks good.   

What about Pauling Therapy using vitamin C and lysine / proline

• NickatNickat
    edited July 2014

First post!

How exactly are you using the pomegranate? I've never used the fruit before and wonder about the seeds.

Interesting recipe. Thanks for this.

Have you looked at Pomegranate extract. Could buy the pill and open it and use of powder. No fresh seeds to contend with and the hassles that fresh fruit come with. Not sure if this technique would move it totally from the orange section of the diet though.

• NickatNickat
    edited July 2014

Pomegranate and cocoa mixed in grass fed butter sounds pretty yummy in itself Stevo. Interesting idea for an initial start to a BP desert. The smoothie sounds pretty darn good.