Help For Female Friends

Ok, so since I've been following BP nutrition based principals many people are asking what on earth I'm doing as I look so good.

This includes women (which is nice as a single guy)

but they ask me for 'advice' which is fine. However, I'm apprehensive to blindly give them what I do, because everything is individual, and also, I'm a man.

So ladies, what are the best resources that I can point the women towards?

(Including Dave's female focussed resources)

I already have on my list:

Dave's post about a bad combination for women

Sara Gottfried's work on hormones

Stefani Ruper's paleo for women

Also, any top tips for implementing / or how what's best for women differs compared to what's recommended for men?

All advice is greatly received.

Comments

• Hi Manxtommyb,

I'm maybe just a little older than the typical woman who posts on this forum (I'm 45), but supplements for the skin seem to be a big hit for all of us.  My faves are bulletproof collagen, my bioidentical hormones (restores skin elasticity), and I'm going to try out hyaluronic acid as well.  My personal opinion is that eating vegetables that are high in beta carotene -- carrots, yellow squash, red/yellow peppers - while not on the "green" side of the bulletproof chart, they give your skin a wonderful golden glow.  But the cruciferous vegetables are super important for female health, as some of the antioxidants in that group of vegetables help one's body convert estradiol and estrone into the more helpful estrogen metabolite (2 Hydroxyestrone) that protects against, rather than causes, breast and ovarian cancers -- improves something called the 2/16 ratio (16 hydroxyestrone is the "bad" estrogenCo metabolite).  Dr. Jonathan Wright in Seattle is probably the authority on hormones and hormone replacement.  His book on Amazon (the title is pretty stupid, but the book is helpful): http://www.amazon.com/Stay-Young-Bio-Identical-Hormone-Replacement/dp/1890572225/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1377781083&sr=1-1&keywords=jonathan+wright

Cosmetics/Makeup:  I recently saw this post on Mark Sisson's blog that I thought was really helpful:  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/25-safer-alternatives-to-common-cosmetics/

One of my favorite fitness sites -- and I'm not really a big lover of weight lifting, but there's something cool about being a "beautiful badass", plus Nia Shanks is so g.d. practical:  http://www.niashanks.com/beautiful-badass-blueprint/

In terms of exercise, though, my personal favorites are yoga, Zumba and barre classes, and this year I've really gotten into High Intensity Interval Training.  Since I can't stand exercise bikes and ellipticals, I've been using a DVD with some good plyometric routines.  My favorite is an Amy Dixon DVD, and I tend to only use one of her sets and do my own HIIT with a heart rate monitor:  http://www.amazon.com/Breathless-Body-2-The-Edge/dp/B007WYU0IO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1377780667&sr=8-2&keywords=amy+dixon+breathless

Favorite recipe site: http://www.elanaspantry.com/ This woman has a ton of coconut/coconut flour recipes that you can adapt, plus she has them well categorized into "gluten free", "egg free", "paleo", etc. etc.

Women for whatever reason tend to struggle more with adrenals and thyroid.  We don't handle stress as well as guys, generally speaking.  One resource for adrenals: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/07/14/adrenal-testing.aspx.  However, get lots of coconut oil and other healthy oils in your diet and that tends to fix a lot of hormone systems -- thyroid especially.  My hair is growing well this year, my nails are actually growing and not breaking so much, and I'm warm for the first time in I don't know how many years.  I attribute that to having enough fat in my diet, finally.

If you are looking for something for your girl friends to watch, well, Abel James, "the Fat Burning Man", is quite nice to look at (yeah, nice poster boy for paleo/low carb).  I think Sara Gottfried would agree.  She seems to like to interview him and talk about orgasms.  Cracks me up.

This is a start.  If I think of more things, I'll post them.  Namaste'

Mary

•  My hair is growing well this year, my nails are actually growing and not breaking so much, and I'm warm for the first time in I don't know how many years.  I attribute that to having enough fat in my diet, finally

Marielle, I love this! I couldn't agree more, and when my hands start to get cold I go eat something/drink some bulletproof coffee. I used to think I had bad circulation, but I was probably starving.

I think a lot of women I speak with are still SO stuck on the calories in/calories out argument for weight loss, in which case the idea of drinking butter makes them cringe. I highly recommend Gary Taubes' book Why We Get Fat. It's a great read, and it might give women enough background research to feel comfortable starting a high-fat diet. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0307474259

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. --Arthur Schopenhauer

• Wow!!! thank you so much Marielle and Amanda :) that's all brilliant stuff.

The other big question I have is what about carbs at breakfast / low carbs in general? I remember reading that women need carbs more often (more refeeds) than men, and even some at breakfast can be beneficial?

It's very difficult as a Martian trying to understand a Venusian (is that even a word?) but I would like to help sensibly if I can :)

• Thank you!.

I think a lot of the paleo podcasters and doctors they interview recommend that women get at least 150-200carbs.. our bodies just need them to stay healthy.... that why we have to have at LEAST 18% body fat to be healthy and men can get away with 8%.....

Look into the "Smarter Science of Slim" good topics there too......

DVDs- HIIT... I really like Cathe Tabatacise, Cathe Cross-Train... and the INSANITY DVDs... but if you listen to the SSOS then you really only need 12 minutes of exercise ECCENTRIC a week... sort of like Doug McGuff Super Slow stuff.... anyone do this with good results?

• Thank you so much Meghan... That's some great tips :)

I'm pretty good with exercise physiology and training, but it's great to see a woman recommending HIIT type exercise and lifting heavy stuff!

I actually do elements of Doug McGuff style work after I've done my heavy compound movements. I'm noticing a huge improvement. But it's different for us guys I guess with the extra testosterone etc.

Also great to see a woman not scared of accepting she should have a healthy amount of body fat if she does indeed want to be healthy :)

Is there a better timing for your carbs? How necessary is it to take some at breakfast or at lunch as opposed to leaving them till dinners / post workout?

Sorry for all the questions, and I know everyone's different. Bt would hate to be giving crappy advice.

Thanks for your input and patience :)
  • @Manxtommy.... I generally just spread them out throughout the day but I would say most come after my workout just because I workout early in the am then eat breakfast and my biggest "hunk" of true "carbs" come from Sweet potato at breakfast= 12g which I bake in "chips" then put kerrygold butter, coconut oil, almond butter spread on them like "toast" and a 2 egg veggie and chicken sausage omelet...... then the rest of my carbs come from veggies, cottage cheese (snack) and nuts..... I have about 15lbs to gain so I don't pay too much attention to it....

• Oh lord... I think my brain just spiked my insulin after reading about your sweet potato chips and sausage and eggs!!! I am going to make that this weekend for sure, it sounds delicious... If you want to share the recipe that would be extremely kind :)

Thanks for the tip. It's always good to know that I can follow my advice up with saying that this is advice from women who are living this lifestyle and seeing great benefits too :)

Thanks so much.
  • I also train Ironman/Marathon distances + strength... so up to 15-20 hours a week.. so I need the extra carbs... but I've heard from MANY just general health and fitness women that any less than 100-150 carbs a day and their adrenals CRASH... Diane Sanfillippo of Balanced Bites got into EXTREME adrenal fatigue from doing the 50-100carb thing and now does great at 300g.. so everyone is different...

Sweet Potato Chips (They are not chip like in texture... soft like a baked sweet potato but look like chips)

-Cut Sweet potato in circles "Chips" I usually make them about 1/4-1/2 inch thick.... grease pan with coconut oil.... drizzle coconut oil all over the "batch" then sprinkle pumpkin pie spice and himalayan sea salt and mix it all up.... place on pan and bake at 425-450 for 25-45 minutes... depends on your oven... flip once half way through...

Meghan

• The omelette is just kale, spinach, onion, zucchini, peppers (red, orange, yellow, and green), snap peas, snow peas and Applegate Organic Fire Roasted Chicken Sausage chopped up and cooked in the omelet...

• great replies guys and good discussion of the key points. two brilliant tips - fame size and training load per day/week.

Those chips sound delicious. I'm going to make those for sure... think I might use turmeric instead of pumpkin spice (because I have turmeric in the kitchen lol)

the omelette is 'just' (then lists 10 ingredients haha)... definitely making it though - I've never heard or seen fire roasted chicken sausage :O - problem being stuck on a small island in the UK.

• Get the book "Rich Food, Poor Food" by Mira and Jayson Calton... SOOOO GOOD about MICRONUTRIENTS in foods and lists the best and worst foods to get... they recommend Brat Hans ORGANIC Chicken Sausage and Applegate Farms ORGANIC Chicken Sausage.... the have a section in the book for every category of food... including spices... you can get their list for free online at their Rich Food Resource Center but the book is really informative

• edited August 2014

Marielle, thanks for this post.  Would you mind sharing why you chose to go on bio-identical hormones at 45 yo?  Do you still need them after being bulletproof (i.e. eating more fat)?

Thanks for the links.  I'm always trying to be more natural with beauty stuff but the non-natural stuff tempts me.  I actually used MCT oil as a full body moisturizer today.  It's ok.  I doubt it would be sufficient in the winter time.

I am having such a hard time going bulletproof, doing bulletproof intermittent fasting.  I just don't feel as good without carbs.  When I deprive myself of a good amount of healthy carbs I always wind up cheating because I feels so hungry.  For example, today I had 1/2 a piece of whole foods pizza and some ice cream and salad for dinner (probably 75-100 g carb total).  I know the issue is because I am not yet fat adapted, but it's so hard to get there.  I have less energy when I am low low carb and also feel that I have less mental power.  I do have to be mentally on point for my job.

Hi Manxtommyb,

I'm maybe just a little older than the typical woman who posts on this forum (I'm 45), but supplements for the skin seem to be a big hit for all of us.  My faves are bulletproof collagen, my bioidentical hormones (restores skin elasticity), and I'm going to try out hyaluronic acid as well.  My personal opinion is that eating vegetables that are high in beta carotene -- carrots, yellow squash, red/yellow peppers - while not on the "green" side of the bulletproof chart, they give your skin a wonderful golden glow.  But the cruciferous vegetables are super important for female health, as some of the antioxidants in that group of vegetables help one's body convert estradiol and estrone into the more helpful estrogen metabolite (2 Hydroxyestrone) that protects against, rather than causes, breast and ovarian cancers -- improves something called the 2/16 ratio (16 hydroxyestrone is the "bad" estrogenCo metabolite).  Dr. Jonathan Wright in Seattle is probably the authority on hormones and hormone replacement.  His book on Amazon (the title is pretty stupid, but the book is helpful): http://www.amazon.com/Stay-Young-Bio-Identical-Hormone-Replacement/dp/1890572225/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1377781083&sr=1-1&keywords=jonathan+wright

Cosmetics/Makeup:  I recently saw this post on Mark Sisson's blog that I thought was really helpful:  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/25-safer-alternatives-to-common-cosmetics/

One of my favorite fitness sites -- and I'm not really a big lover of weight lifting, but there's something cool about being a "beautiful badass", plus Nia Shanks is so g.d. practical:  http://www.niashanks.com/beautiful-badass-blueprint/

In terms of exercise, though, my personal favorites are yoga, Zumba and barre classes, and this year I've really gotten into High Intensity Interval Training.  Since I can't stand exercise bikes and ellipticals, I've been using a DVD with some good plyometric routines.  My favorite is an Amy Dixon DVD, and I tend to only use one of her sets and do my own HIIT with a heart rate monitor:  http://www.amazon.com/Breathless-Body-2-The-Edge/dp/B007WYU0IO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1377780667&sr=8-2&keywords=amy+dixon+breathless

Favorite recipe site: http://www.elanaspantry.com/ This woman has a ton of coconut/coconut flour recipes that you can adapt, plus she has them well categorized into "gluten free", "egg free", "paleo", etc. etc.

Women for whatever reason tend to struggle more with adrenals and thyroid.  We don't handle stress as well as guys, generally speaking.  One resource for adrenals: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/07/14/adrenal-testing.aspx.  However, get lots of coconut oil and other healthy oils in your diet and that tends to fix a lot of hormone systems -- thyroid especially.  My hair is growing well this year, my nails are actually growing and not breaking so much, and I'm warm for the first time in I don't know how many years.  I attribute that to having enough fat in my diet, finally.

If you are looking for something for your girl friends to watch, well, Abel James, "the Fat Burning Man", is quite nice to look at (yeah, nice poster boy for paleo/low carb).  I think Sara Gottfried would agree.  She seems to like to interview him and talk about orgasms.  Cracks me up.

This is a start.  If I think of more things, I'll post them.  Namaste'

• Marielle, thanks for this post. Would you mind sharing why you chose to go on bio-identical hormones at 45 yo? Do you still need them after being bulletproof (i.e. eating more fat)?

Thanks for the links. I'm always trying to be more natural with beauty stuff but the non-natural stuff tempts me. I actually used MCT oil as a full body moisturizer today. It's ok. I doubt it would be sufficient in the winter time.

I am having such a hard time going bulletproof, doing bulletproof intermittent fasting. I just don't feel as good without carbs. When I deprive myself of a good amount of healthy carbs I always wind up cheating because I feels so hungry. For example, today I had 1/2 a piece of whole foods pizza and some ice cream and salad for dinner (probably 75-100 g carb total). I know the issue is because I am not yet fat adapted, but it's so hard to get there. I have less energy when I am low low carb and also feel that I have less mental power. I do have to be mentally on point for my job.

Hi Bulletproofnovice,

The reason I went on BHRT is that it looked like, at 44-45 (I'm 46 now) that I had hit menopause. My ND had me do a 24 hr urine hormone test, the one through Meridian Labs (affiliated with Dr. Jonathan Wright. My body made almost zero estrogen or progesterone -- on the low end even for a post menopausal woman!

I stopped BHRT because my body does not detox estrogen very well. I have homozygous COMT mutations and some other detox-related SNPs (I'm a 23andMe geek) and I just don't do well with supplemental estrogen. So I stopped. And my cycles returned. I do credit eating sufficient fat -- needed to make hormones -- plus much improved nutrition.

I too played with ketosis and IF. Ketogenic diets down regulate my thyroid and mess with my blood glucose. My middle started getting softer, I took a little Armour thyroid for a while, and my periods stopped. They returned a couple of months after I abandoned super low carb.

Now, I just eat mostly BP foods, lots of vegetables, moderate meat/fish (lots of salmon, love salmon) and I include a little fruit and starch. On a typical day, I consume about 100 grams net carbohydrate, maybe a little more if I exercise or a little less if I don't.

Right now I am working on my exercise and trying to get it just right so I'm benefitting as much as possible without stressing my body out and minimizing the adrenal impact.

Does this help?

Namaste'

Mary

• I also understand the need to be mentally "on point". I am the Budget Manager for the local agency and I work closely with a lot of executive staff and others. I currently believe I benefit from the Ciltep stack, and also take the adaptogen herb Rhodiola. Haven't delved into racetams -- I am kind of "chicken".

Mary