Why I'm No Longer Supplementing With Omega-3.

Hi guys,

This is my second post here so I'll do a quick intro: I'm a weight loss coach who happens to be big on Bulletproof principles.

I used to take omega-3, and even recommend it to my clients, but after being introduced to this physiologist's work I've pulled a 180º and actively started asking clients NOT to supplement with omega-3 and to instead get it from whole food sources (grass-fed meat, wild fish, some plant foods).

This is a video featuring Professor Brian Peskin speaking at the Silicon Valley Health Institute:

PDF overview: http://www.brianpeskin.com/BP.com/publications/2011-Fish%20Oil%20Fallacies.pdf

As I'm sure most of you know Dave is the chair of the SVHI, so I'm hoping he has either seen or heard about this research . . . I would love to hear his views on it.

Personally, I've been convinced that refined omega-3 supplements do more harm than good. 

Would love to hear opinions here and if anyone knows whether Dave's looked into this or not since I know he recommends krill oil as part of the BP diet.

Thanks,

Tara

Comments

• I thought that the paper was compelling, almost to the point of overkill.  Thanks for sharing.

• Welcome PB — Well, I think he has to take the overkill approach. He's up against a lot of people saying the exact opposite to what he's proposing ;)

• edited August 2013

-what is the recommended omega 6/3 ratio (if any) being put forward here ?

-my main issue, is papers like this, and how I would get down to a 1:1 level (which is the history of human diet, and similar to most other wild animal diets), without supplementing (given the extra omega 6 that is now in a lot of food)

-he seems to be big on "raw foods", what is a recommended raw food diet plan to hit this ratio?

Reigning Former Inner Balance "Mad Monk" Champion... :-P 

• wow, i don't have time to watch the video read the paper very thoroughly right now, but damn...if that info is right it really makes me question the cod liver oil i just bought....

• SystemSystem mod
    edited August 2013

MrJB, I don't think he mentions the ideal 3/6 ratio for humans. It's about the source. He's arguing that refined fish/krill oil is a harmful way to get essential fatty acids.

My approach is to stick to whole foods for essential fats (like grass-fed meat, wild fish, pastured eggs etc.) rather than taking the 'isolated'/refined supplements.

I think the problem occurs when you're eating farmed fish and grain fed meat.

Having said that, I actually grew up vegetarian (so did my brother and sister) and each of us got top exam results in our school without any extra tutoring or much parental encouragement — so I have always been a tiny bit skeptical about this huge need for omega-3 for proper brain development for example.

• MrJB, I don't think he mentions the ideal 3/6 ratio for humans. It's about the source. He's arguing that refined fish/krill oil is a harmful way to get essential fatty acids.

My approach is to stick to whole foods for essential fats (like grass-fed meat, wild fish, pastured eggs etc.) rather than taking the 'isolated'/refined supplements.

I think the problem occurs when you're eating farmed fish and grain fed meat.

Having said that, I actually grew up vegetarian (so did my brother and sister) and each of us got top exam results in our school without any extra tutoring or much parental encouragement — so I have always been a tiny bit skeptical about this huge need for omega-3 for proper brain development for example.

=

Well, if what he says is true, it makes me wonder whether or not that "ideal" 2:1 or 1:1 omega ratio is actually ideal. If it weren't for over-night-speed international and interstate commerce made possible by modern transportation, it would be damn near impossible to keep a low omega 3:6 ratio, unless you lived near that cost and ate wild-caught fish all the time. Even with grass-fed beef, I've seen anywhere from 2:1-7:1 ratios in favor of omega 6. And, those other foods that are supposed to be good for us, like pastured eggs (2:1-3:1 in favor of omega 6) and avocados (I've seen as high as 12:1 in favor of omega 6) wouldn't help much, either. So, either this guy is wrong, or the magic 1:1 ratio of omega 3:6 is wrong, because, like I said, if he's right, then everyone who doesn't live near a wild-fish source is screwed, right?

Massachusetts Bulletproof Resources! (Local BP resources for food/vitamins, meditation, bio-hacking/tech-centers, etc.)

If you know of a local resource that I haven't listed, or have a warning for known local health scams or bad "BP" businesses, please PM me.

If it's a good resource, I'll add it to the master-list (I was inspired by suntoucher & Ron Swanson.)

• Philip, I'm not going to worry about my omega ratio. I'm just going to stick with grass fed and wild meat/fish, eggs, and butter plus veggies while avoiding grains, processed / refined fats — and I'm sure my body will figure out the ideal ratio all by itself.

• bigduckkbigduckk MyFitnessPal- craigmac1991

I grew up pescitarian and I got average grades at best. So they must be bullshit... or maybe they just don't work miracles and turn and idiots into geniuses (or is it genii). 

• @BigDuck: Just because you were pescatarian doesn't mean you'd have ideal ratios of o3:o6.

@TaraH: Thanks for the post, I've been meaning to watch that video, actually.

@Everyone else: Look up Dr. Patricia Kane, she is one of the world experts in this area and how omega-fats impact human physiology. As far as I know, a 1:1 ratio is not ideal and you in fact want more o6 - you need em for inflammatory and clotting purposes. If you become cold adapted, which you should, you need a lot of o3 and o6 because the o3's make your cells more flexible and I *Believe* the o6's help keep your body adaptable and warm under varying temperatures and barometric pressures. Cold Water fish have excessive omega-3's in their tissues because they are 24/7 in extremely cold water under extreme pressures - we are eutharian mammals, not amphibians, and not 24/7 under almost freezing cold water. Dr. Kruse has a very interesting theory about our pre-human ancestors that were evolved off of the coastal regions that were both colder and filled with shellfish, and the iodine and o3's formed their brains coupled with epigenetic changes from the cold and ketones. Well, there are some cases of that going on again now, in primates who have been exposed to similar conditions. I'll look up the post on his forums but it's highly intriguing and really sways me in the direction of epi-paleo vs. bulletproof minus some protocols 

http://equilibriohm.wordpress.com/

http://biohacksblog.com/

Natural ability without education has more often raised a man to glory and virtue than education without natural ability. - Marcus Aurelius 

• BigPapaChakra, you kinda scare me, from the picture you have it looks like that you're quite young, yet you know so much already from the few times I came across your posts, wish I was this smart.

• so we just ignore that throughout history it has been 1:1, and we now just (randomly) make it 10:1 or 15:1 or higher?

• Slightly unrelated, but everyone should check out this mans work: http://www.klinghardtacademy.com/Protocols/Klinghardt-Neurotoxin-Elimination-Protocol.html I found him through Ameer Rosic who has interviewed both Dave and Dr. Kruse.

Here is his neurotoxin removal protocol, which supports Dr. Kruse evolutionary theory: http://www.klinghardtacademy.com/images/stories/neurotoxin/NeurotoxinProtocol_Jan06.pdf

"Recent research also revealed that the transformation humans underwent when apes became intelligent and turned into humans happened only in coastal regions, where the apes started to consume large amounts of fish."

Hmm, interesting. 

Here is something from Dr. Kane: http://www.bodybio.com/BodyBio/docs/BodyBioBulletin-4to1Oil.pdf

"After a dozen years or more of close examination of detailed red cell lipid analysis at BodyBio, we have witnessed and documented repeated over-expression of omega 3 fatty acids EPA and DHA, with the ultimate suppression of omega 6 fatty acids. BodyBio analyzes the patient’s complex lipid biochemistry through a computerized report, which is then forwarded to the physician. Over 90% are reporting high EPA and DHA levels most often from taking an excess of fish oil"

@BigDuckk: Thanks! I appreciate it, haha. I suffered and still do from some perceptual/psychological problems that caused me to leap down the path of becoming bulletproof and reversing it. I'am pretty young, currently 18. I'm hoping to learn as much as I can about HPPD (what I believe I have) and anticholinergics, as well as other disorders and help all the people I've come across over various internet forums that have the same thing. Thanks again!

http://equilibriohm.wordpress.com/

http://biohacksblog.com/

Natural ability without education has more often raised a man to glory and virtue than education without natural ability. - Marcus Aurelius 

• So is common ground in understanding the following:

-above 5:1 is not good, but being overly concerned about a too low ratio has diminishing returns

-maintaining intakes and ratio with real food, rather than supps is preferred

-using omega 3 supp (as a supp rather than a substitute) is ok, provided quality and storage is close to "natural"?

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭

I wish they'd jazz/snazz up those SVHI videos, I get bored in the first 10 seconds ;-)

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭

Philip, I'm not going to worry about my omega ratio. I'm just going to stick with grass fed and wild meat/fish, eggs, and butter plus veggies while avoiding grains, processed / refined fats — and I'm sure my body will figure out the ideal ratio all by itself.

=====

I understand your approach, but think its a bit naive to say your body will figure it out by itself. It will deal with what you feed it, but its up to you to feed it the right things.