Caffeine Sensitive? Or Bad Coffee?

I'm not a regular coffee drinker but in the past when I've drunk a cup of Americano from Costa coffee shop (a UK coffee shop a bit like Starbucks) I've felt a weird light-headedness and jitteriness.

So that's just probably mycotoxins in the coffee right?

However, I don't experience this when I drink a decaf which is supposed to have even more mycotoxins...

So anyway recently I bought Has Bean Coffee (Guatemala El Bosque Amatitlan Red Bourbon) and made BP coffee with it.

Felt seriously awesome (energy, mental clarity and focus, motivation) around 45mins after drinking it, but this only lasted roughly 30mins and then roughly 90mins after drinking it I had a crash and the same sorts of effects as the Costa Americano.

This Guatemalan coffee is high altitude and washed (read more at the bottom of the page of the link I provided). Wouldn't expect it to have mycotoxins.

Do you think I'm just sensitive to caffeine?

I would love to have a cup of Upgraded coffee to find out but I'd have to pay a lot of money for the bag and delivery, PLUS I'd have to buy a coffee grinder just to brew it and find out.

And if it turns out I am just caffeine sensitive then the rest of the upgraded coffee and the coffee grinder would just be useless to me.

If only there was a bulletproof cafe in London so that I could just buy one cup and find out :(

Or maybe a bulletproof upgraded coffee buyer in London can brew me one just so I could try it lol.

Comments

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

I thought there was an online UK distributor?

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• edited August 2013

There is (xbrain.co.uk) but it's still very expensive because it's £19 for a bag (not including delivery) which is equivalent to US $29.44.

I think delivery would be at least £3, which comes out to a total of ~$34 for the 12 oz bag of coffee.

Plus I'd have to buy a coffee grinder (or try to use a blender to grind the coffee beans!).

Ah i see. If you think you're caffeine sensitive buy some caffeine pills they are pretty inexpensive and run some tests. Unless you are really on a mission to become a coffee drinker try green tea, try mate? Also is this your first time making BP Coffee? Could be you need to build up a tolerance to the MCT or other ingredients.

Guitarist:

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• Caffeine pills are a good idea. Thanks :)

Do you think that there's a kind of learned tolerance of caffeine that I need to build up considering that I so rarely drank caffeinated drinks in the past?

In other words, maybe I need to keep drinking the coffee that I have and see if the effect becomes less and less over time. Hopefully it's not mycotoxins making me feel this way.

This is a problem that I have with biohacking. It's the same with wheat. I don't seem to have any reaction to wheat except if I've abstained from it for a long time and then suddenly have a lot of it (get bloating and gas). But if I've been having it in small amounts semi-regularly then I don't get gas or bloating.

I believe so, yes. But even still it's not worth feeling crappy in order to build up a tolerance. What you can do is make really watered down coffee which is what i'm doing at the moment. I took a week off all caffeine on my holidays and now i'm using a half strength brew with the same effects if not slightly greater than when i was using full strength, i just grind up half as many beans, same amount of water. Not quite as tasty though  :wink:

Guitarist:

• I get that if i drink coffee on empty stomach(not upgraded coffee). I also get that with my home brewed coffee when i did not clean it well so i suspect the coffee and my coffee maker have mycotoxin in it because i did not have the problem in the beginning.

I dont get that problem with BP coffee though maybe cuz of all the fats in it and lack of mycotoxin. But i use a different brewing device because i was afraid that the molds probably harvested in my coffee maker already. I will try to drink BP coffee black sometimes to see what happens.
  • StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭
    The jitters from caffeine can be a sign you are low in antioxidants. Do you take vitamin C or any others?