Blood Sugar Levels

I have eaten the intermittent fasting protocols pretty much to the letter, and lately when I test my blood sugar levels (just because I am curious) it has been showing high blood sugar levels anything from 115 to 125. Before I started this they were around 99-106. Is this going to be my new normal? Only thing I have had today is Coffee with 4tbs of grass fed no salt butter, 1tbs of MCT and 2 packets of stevia and nothing else but water sense before 8pm yesterday.

I am still losing weight (Down 14 lbs) averaging just over 1/2 pound a day, wish it was more, but not complaining.

Comments

• There is a ton out there about this. I'll summarize what I know and have experienced.

I went VLC for a while. I kept activity to a moderate level, but definitely higher than my carbohydrate intake demanded. Before going VLC, I was relatively healthy, but had blood sugar way up and down. Typical story for more people. Everything normalized and for over a year, I stuck to a 80-90 (ballpark) Ketogenic Diet. Blood sugars were perfect. Both Postprandial (1 hours), postprandial (2 hours), morning fasting glucose (8-12 hours) and long-term fasting glucose (18-36 hours) were all fine.

I noticed some changes. I began to add in some starches. Sweet potatoes, squash, berries, raw dairy and a few other things. It started to ramp up the activity, wanted to add muscle and incorporate some other goals (performance-wise) and therefore, added carbs. This has worked, I'm happy with the results, but my blood sugar has elevated. I've started to cycle in some more Ketogenic periods and the results are the same. Coming from a "previous life" of being a Type 2 Diabetic (9+ years), there's definitely some damage that is not reversible in my body no matter what. However, I often wondered how things seemed to be reversed, remain stable but then seemingly got worse (in my case, higher fasting glucose and a few 1-hour Postprandial levels over 200). A few observations...

1. Lower carbohydrate diets can create a non-dangerous form of insulin resistance. This is simply to spare glucose for vital brain function. It might cause higher glucose readings but for someone who is metabolically healthy, it should return to normal when more carbohydrates are present in a meal or when the body gets used to more carbohydrates consistently coming in. While still insulin resistance, it's very different than the same condition associated with chronically high carbohydrate intake. You want to be able to respond adequately to a high dose of glucose and that's why the 2 hour postprandial reading is good. What I've found is that this is the case with me, but curiously, I noted before that my levels were falling by the 2-hour Postprandial mark back to normal. So while it may raise higher than normal after 1 hour, my body is doing the best it can by that 2-hour mark to secrete adequate insulin to deal with the carbohydrate. Both measurements are important as this (in myself) would indicate a lack of overall insulin resistance. For someone wanting to add muscle, this can also be extremely useful, the ability to take advantage of a very efficient use of a post-workout meal. A similar phenomenon can be occuring even with fasted glucose readings that are slightly elevated. The body is responding by conserving blood glucose for the brain and it may show a higher reading on a glucometer. Again, the important thing is WHY and in these cases, if you're on a lower-carb diet, the why is likely not going to be a cause for concern. Then again, sometimes moderate or even low-carb doesn't work for some and it has to go even lower. Each person has to try that for themselves.

2. In Type 1 Diabetics there is something called the Honeymoon period. It's usually directly after the introduction to injecting insulin. The pancreas will actually produce some insulin of it's own, even though many of these patients are on insulin injections/therapy because it has been determined them have reduced or even non-existent pancreatic function. Even some people who had been unable to regulate glucose at all will notice this response. It is temporary and Diabetes isn't the only place it is seen in medicine. It seems the introduction of a new therapy can cause a temporary (and opposite) response in the body which can mask someone into thinking there isn't a problem. I've often wondered if the reverse is true. What I'm referring to is the body, when exposed to a new stimulus (in this case, a completely new diet/energy intake) might react by actually releasing more glucose into the bloodstream, leading to higher blood glucose levels, despite a lower intake of carbohydrate. I'm not sure the timeframe here as it seems that this happens to people after a little while on said diet, not at the beginning, but it could be some sort of natural response by the body indicating a sign of adaptation.

3. Has you consumption of lean protein or other protein sources varied? I've noticed that when I cut back on Whey protein, my blood sugar levels are higher. Maybe this is just me, but I used to consume Whey protein twice a day and I can only imagine it was stimulating quite the insulin response in my body. Have you ever used BCAA's and then stopped? I'd think it could have a similar effect.
    Life is one giant experiment.
  • Thanks for the response..I read over it a couple of times to make sure I didn't miss anything. As far as BCAA's, the answer is no I have not taken them ...funny thing though, yesterday I checked my blood sugar level and it was 117, this morning, 88. Not sure why, maybe my body is in flux I will keep an eye on it.
  • I am wondering how the blood glucose levels should be behaving whilst in ketogenic state? should they stay stable and super low?

I have been tracking early morning= 4.1mmol/L - before lunch= 3.8mmol/L - 2h after lunch=4.3mmol/L- before dinner/ after teaching light exercise=2.7mmol/L - and 2h after dinner before bed time=3.8mmol/L -next morining=4.8mmol?L.

In the morning it can be slightly higher than at night, does that mean my body is glucose that raises blood sugar? Does that mean the body is not in ketosis?

I am not loosing muscle mass and I am feeling well even when blood glucose levels are low. (wouldn't know they are low if I didn't check.)

I have tested blood ketones on sunday morning = 0.4mmol/L -so I guess I am not in ketosis, grrrrr - would it be better to test them just before breaking fast at 14:00?

Anyone done similar tracking?
  • @mk-sweet: Much depends on how long you've been in this 'ketogenic state', how strictly you've been eating to encourage ketosis and whether you're 'keto-adapted'.
  • I am curious about this too.  I am doing a detox, (Sara Gottfried's hormone reset,) and have begun measuring every day.  To my astonishment, my fasting blood sugar is higher than normal, (in the 90 range) and my post-meal blood sugar (within two hours of the meal) is normal and actually quite low (in the 70 range.)  Can someone explain that to me?

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• Thanks, DMan!  Will read.

• Jelsenburg,

Seems strange with high blood glucose if you have fasted and taken MCT. Both decrease blood glucose. The only thing I can see that might raise it would be stevia. Did you take any vit C that morning? How do you wake up? Alarm that knocks you out of sleep? That can start an hormonal stress response that raises blood glucose. Also sleep apnea and other causes to poor sleep can be an issue. Try to messure before you take your MCT/coffee and after to see if you wake up with that level or if it goes up after the intake.

Which Factors are Most Important for Strength Development? Find out on this episode with Black Belt Nutrition on Super Human Radio 

The 5 Best & Worst Supplements - A free insider report from Black Belt Nutrition

3 Steps to become a master Bio-Hacker - Part 1

• So I read the article, and while it makes sense, it is not very comprehensive.  I am not someone who has diabetes, and am generally a healthy person.  I wake up naturally, (granted, I have not been going to bed on time lately, quite late,) and take a blood measurement before I eat or drink anything -- and it is surprisingly high, even after a 12 hour + fast, even after no carbs, even after a richly fat dinner.

Any thoughts?

• Can you share some pre and post meal value? Meal info? When ist as lowest? Are you in ketosis?

And, are the sticks old? After a few months of cracking the botle the start to become unreliable.

Which Factors are Most Important for Strength Development? Find out on this episode with Black Belt Nutrition on Super Human Radio 

The 5 Best & Worst Supplements - A free insider report from Black Belt Nutrition

• Mk-sweet. Your values are good.

• Hi BioChemist!

Yes -- here it goes:

AM post 12 hr+ fast after no carbs -- blood sugar 86, 80, 90 (!).

AM post 12+ fast after re-feed with sweet potato and rice -- blood sugar 79.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Hi BioChemist!

Yes -- here it goes:

AM post 12 hr+ fast after no carbs -- blood sugar 86, 80, 90 (!).

AM post 12+ fast after re-feed with sweet potato and rice -- blood sugar 79.

Uh... what's wrong with that? Even in ketosis your body produces some blood glucose and/or pulls it from glycogen. Healthy range is 50-100, but it's not like lower is healthier. 

• Thanks, ACH!  I am new to blood sugar measurements, and according to Dr. Gottfried, fasting blood sugar in the morning ought to range between 70 and  85.  

Each time (except post re-feed) I have been in ketosis.  How does ketosis impact blood sugar?

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015

Hey did you read the entire article? It is explained that several hormones are being affected from fasting. It could be your liver working on full power in order to balance out the low blood glucose before entering ketosis. It also says what Biochemist says. It says not just diabetes is your problem. ;P

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training