Visiting People Who Have Mold Problems: Detox Suggestions?

I've been lurking around the forums for a while, but what actually got me to join is that it is already September. Three months from now, the holiday revelry and family-visiting will start, and I have a question that is probably of wider interest.


 


My question is about how to mitigate mold and mildew toxin exposure during short-term visits with family. For several days at the end of November, and again for several days towards the latter part of December, I will be visiting my mother's house because it is our family's epicenter of holiday thanksgiving and cheer. I lived there for a year between undergraduate and graduate school, when I often experienced symptoms not unlike continuously coming down with something. I suspected it was mold-related. Now that I am living in my own place several hours away, the exposure is much more pronounced when I visit.


 


The usual suspect (bathroom) has significant mold and mildew growth that seems to take over every now and again. The back part of the house near the guest bedroom has a history of mold and mildew growth, and it often gives me headaches to go back there. Finally, the kitchen will seed mushrooms around the edges during times of high humidity or when the dishwasher is broken. I kid you not. There are photographs of this somewhere.


 


Dealing with the mold problems in her house is Not On the Agenda right now, as she has a stressful job. This translates to her typically not being in the mood to do much other than watch Call the Midwife and eat brie. She's also supporting my two younger sisters, who are still in college. While I haven't brought up mold and mildew, the exchanges we have had about vegetables leave me less than enthusiastic about doing so.


 


Since I am guessing that spending any amount of time there would counteract staying in a hotel (not that I have that in my budget, but still), I am wondering what kinds of recommendations others might have for (1) staying in that environment without getting too sick for 3-4 days and (2) detoxing from mold toxins after leaving. I am guessing that popping activated charcoal all the time would not cut it.


-- Kaye

Comments

  • StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

    Wow, mushrooms in the kitchen! Do you think you would get a more positive reaction if you showed her a test (that you'd get done) of how much toxic mould is in her house? I'm not sure where you live but I think there are places online that aren't too expensive.


     


    Maybe you could get a cleaner in at least so its not so bad?


     


    Just chucking ideas out here.


  • Is your mum OK/ healthy herself with all that mold? Maybe you could relate lack of mold to better work performance as a hook to get her interested? Alternatively get someone to take her out for a couple of hours and bleach the place yourself with a gas mask on..... Too late to moan when she returns


  • Is your mum OK/ healthy herself with all that mold? Maybe you could relate lack of mold to better work performance as a hook to get her interested? Alternatively get someone to take her out for a couple of hours and bleach the place yourself with a gas mask on..... Too late to moan when she returns




     


    > I honestly don't know. I'm not a homeowner, but for someone not in the know about mycotoxins, I bet that it is on the back burner when compared to other house maintenance activities. It's an historic house, so it has some foundation issues, electric wiring eccentricities, and pipe mysteries. The roof started leaking once a few years ago, and while it was repaired, I imagine it's nearly due for some work as well. If I were one of the twenty-somethings living with their parents while working, I would definitely do something about it, but as it is, I'm a twenty-something working in a high cost-of-living city experiencing student loan sticker shock (worth every penny, though). :D 


     


    I also can't eat gluten for health reasons even without transitioning towards a more BP/paleo style of eating. Through much convincing, I got my youngest sister to ask for a Celiac blood test, but my mom refuses to go in for testing because if it comes back positive, she will have to give up bread, and that terrifies her. I wonder if bringing up work performance and energy concerning the mold issue would create the same kind of overwhelmed, irrational reaction.


     


    On the entire detox subject, though, I did find some suggestions from a web site about chronic fatigue for mitigating mold toxin exposure. It has no references, but I think that some high-quality activated charcoal and perhaps a few other supplements might be good at softening the blow. http://chronicfatigueandnutrition.com/mold-toxicity/eliminate-mold-exposure/

    -- Kaye

Sign In or Register to comment.