Bp Moms Still Nursing...

I am new to BP, been on it about a month with my husband and 14-month son.  Still going strong nursing and I have found out through trial and error (duh!) that I need to eat more frequently than my hubby and also more carbs, or I feel like I am dying!  But I am happy with ZERO sugar cravings.  So here is what a typical day looks like...  

Bulletproof coffee at 9, then again at 1030....At around 9:30, my son and I eat breakfast which is either eggs, guacamole and sometimes bacon from our awesome butcher, or some BP ice cream or custard.  Lunch is around noon in some form of beef/salmon, veggies, fat, and sweet potatoes/rice, usually what was left over from the night before (I cook from Dave's new cookbook).  Dinner is around 6, and similar + BP Icecream before bed.  My son and I also have an afternoon snack of fruit and Mary's Gone rice crackers.  He drinks Almond+Coconut milk with his meals for extra fat (not much).  He nurses right when he wakes up and then whenever he wants, all throughout the day.  He sleeps through the night about 11 hrs.  (YAY!)  

My question is simply to know what other lactating women have found to be their daily needs for fat and carbs and how often.  Before I upped my carbs and meal frequency I seemed very hungry right before bed and also right before lunch.  I recently started taking supplements and that has helped tremendously.  But  I want to make sure this is normal and not a crazy metabolic issue - I've always had a very fast metabolism and very slightly hyperactive thyroid. I also seem to have to urinate more frequently...??  Thanks in advance.  P.S., I have NOT read Better Baby Book yet...

Tagged:

Comments

• Hi Charbison,

You could get a thyroid panel done just in case pregnancy has caused a hormonal imbalance. 

Other than that, eat as much as you want :)

• Hello,

I am just about to deliver my babygirl and was wondering if BP method would be safe while nursing. Coffee is okay for sure but I am worried about the supplements. They all seem to forbidden to take while nursing but imho it shouldn't be harmful for the baby - on the contrary. I plan on nursing at least a year. Thanks in advance for any reaction.

Dita

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

The diet itself, which advocates the consumption of only high quality, natural foods, is absolutely safe for a nursing woman.

If the supplements make you nervous, then feel free to leave them out. Do research on the specific supplements in question and decide which, if any, you'd be comfortable taking. Supplements are helpful and healthful if properly utilized, but finding what's right for you can take some time and study!

I can tell you that my wife is still nursing and she takes a few supplements. She takes 8-10,000 IUs of Vitamin D per day, a capsule of Vitamin K2, Magnesium Citrate and Potassium Citrate (before bed) and occasionally some Rhodiola Rosea to help with stress. She also takes a B-100 complex twice a week, and has reported positive effects from the supplements she's on. Furthermore, I don't see how Omega-3 supplements such as Krill oil should be worrisome, providing that they're of good quality. Smart supplementation during pregnancy and nursing could be extremely beneficial, as both put considerable strain on your body and its stores of nutrients. Consulting a doctor you can trust on such matters, or even some of us forumers, may be a good idea if you're interested in supplements but nervous.

I guess I should ask which supplements, in particular, have you feeling uneasy?

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• PARKERPARKER
    edited February 2014

As for the urinating frequently, you may be consuming too much water.  Don't guzzle water.  The kidneys only like 4 or 5 oz on the half hour.  Gauge your drinking to produce urination only every three hours at most.  If you pee clear, you have drank too much.