Pons/tcnl Therapy

PoNS/TCNL therapy - University of Wisconsin-Madison

Youtube Case Study - from stumbling and uncoordinated to walking in 5 weeks

US Army Press Release

Check it out. Has anyone heard of this technology?

Basically Tactile Communication and Neurorehabilitation Therapy is electrical stimulation of nerve endings on the tongue to modify existing neural pathways. It provides the brain with position(gyroscopic) and movement(accelerometer) feedback to adjust inner ear function. They have tested the device with MS patients with remarkable success. As far as I can tell there are no side effects except for a little tingling on the tongue (for obvious reasons).

I remember one of the podcasts where Dave talked about whole body electrocution to "reset" his muscle movements. It seems like this might be a better method since it is more controlled. Instead of hitting the reset button, you simply provide your brain with the correct answer until it does things right.

I think this technology has almost limitless potential. They can make the blind see, the deaf hear, and even add senses that no one is born with. A little bit of R&D could make this into a USB port for the brain: matrix style.

-Elijah

Comments

• Never heard of it before, but it's cool as f**k.  I was just listening to an interview the other day with one of the more famous nfb figures (think it was Joel Lubar, but I've been listening to a lot of these lately so I may have him confused with someone else) who went to China to study the acupuncture points and discovered that certain kinds of nfb responses could be elicited by running small currents into, for instance, acupuncture points on the wrist.  Traditional Chinese Medicine also holds that regions of the tongue reflect the state of function for various major organs and systems; I wonder if this is the same sort of thing going on here.

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

Yo,

any updates on this? Anyone found a place to buy it? A way to build it? Anything new?

I'm referring to the PONS device..

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training