What Am I Supposed To Eat On Protein Fast Day? (Almost Everything Has Protein!)

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere (searched a bit but couldn't find it):  I am trying to do a protein fast for the first time today, and I'm having a hard time staying under the 15g of protein that Dave recommends on such days without engaging in more traditional fasting.  It seems that virtually everything has protein.  Here are some examples of grams of protein in common foods that one might think to have on the protein fasting day (so I'm automatically excluding meat, fish, nuts and dairy):

avocados - 2.9 g per cup

tomatoes - .9 g per medium tomato

rice - 5 g per cup

sweet potatoes - 2.1 g per cup

asparagus - 0.4 g per spear

carrots - 06 g per medium carrot

raspberries - 0.5 g per cup

blueberries - 1.1 g per cup

mushrooms (which Dave doesn't approve of anyway but which I eat) - 0.8 g per cup

squash - 1.6 g per cup

chocolate - 1.4 g per 1 oz.

bell pepper - 1 g per medium pepper

If you think this through, you might start to see how this adds up pretty quickly.  One avocado already gets you 1/5th of your allowed protein for the entire day.  Does anyone have ideas about what to eat that's satisfying and at the same time doesn't kill the protein fast?

Comments

• I had never even heard of eating low protein.  I looked into it for you and this is what I found:

http://joshwhiton.com/?p=1680

I don't have time to dive in and look seriously at it but I have to ask why do this?  The only low protein diet people I can think of are those in 3rd world countries and they only do it cause they have no choice.  

• RodRod The Rodfather

I had never even heard of eating low protein.  I looked into it for you and this is what I found:

http://joshwhiton.com/?p=1680

I don't have time to dive in and look seriously at it but I have to ask why do this?  The only low protein diet people I can think of are those in 3rd world countries and they only do it cause they have no choice.  

One day protein fast is to induce Autophagy which also helps cellular detoxification. People who do IF or have reached a plato can use this technique to get them going again. 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere (searched a bit but couldn't find it):  I am trying to do a protein fast for the first time today, and I'm having a hard time staying under the 15g of protein that Dave recommends on such days without engaging in more traditional fasting.  It seems that virtually everything has protein.  Here are some examples of grams of protein in common foods that one might think to have on the protein fasting day (so I'm automatically excluding meat, fish, nuts and dairy):

avocados - 2.9 g per cup

tomatoes - .9 g per medium tomato

rice - 5 g per cup

sweet potatoes - 2.1 g per cup

asparagus - 0.4 g per spear

carrots - 06 g per medium carrot

raspberries - 0.5 g per cup

blueberries - 1.1 g per cup

mushrooms (which Dave doesn't approve of anyway but which I eat) - 0.8 g per cup

squash - 1.6 g per cup

chocolate - 1.4 g per 1 oz.

bell pepper - 1 g per medium pepper

If you think this through, you might start to see how this adds up pretty quickly.  One avocado already gets you 1/5th of your allowed protein for the entire day.  Does anyone have ideas about what to eat that's satisfying and at the same time doesn't kill the protein fast?

If you don't have BPC-only for breakfast and lunch it is impossible.  For dinner, it isn't too hard to get full on a big bowl of lettuce + 2 cups each of broccoli and cauliflower and 3-4 cups of sweet potatoes all slathered in butter.  

• RodRod The Rodfather

LOTS OF BUTTER!!!!!, You can do IF in the morning with BPC then lunch You can have 1 cup of rice (4g) and a lot of butter+Mct, some veggies, then again for dinner! If it's only for one day, you will be good to go!! Autophagy, here you come! 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• "Autophagy, here you come!"

Nice!

• RodRod The Rodfather

"Autophagy, here you come!"

Nice!

:-P , High 5 Joanna!

• It helps to have a really detailed percentage breakdown of all foods.  I have a painstakingly assembled spreadsheet.  I had a low-protein day yesterday - still trying to get under 25, and I hit just under 30, so I'm improving.  But I was delighted to find that Macadamias are really low-protein for a nut - 10g has 72 calories, but about .8g protein.  That in itself won't get you there - still above average for what's needed on a low-protein day - but it's helpful to have things like nuts to mix in without blowing things too out of proportion.  (Hmm, actually, if one was to eat 300g of Macadamias for the sole food source, this would be 2160 calories, but still only 24g protein, so not too bad.)

I'm not new to all this tracking, but I am new to the "protein fasting" concept; does anyone have information about research to back up what Dave says about "cleansing our inner cells without muscle loss"?  I don't doubt it, it seems plausible and I've read elsewhere about the challenges to the body from too much protein, but I'd love to see research (or anecdotal reports failing that) specifically addressing how an occasional protein fast day impacts the body, which level of protein is best (15g/25g/1g per 10 lbs body mass /etc), and what frequency of protein fasting best serves.

Happy to have found this community.  Happy to be enjoying my hot buttered coffee...

• romansbromansb BulletResistant

Most vegetables (not broccoli or kale), carbs (rice, yams, etc), fats (butter, coconut oil, dark chocolate).

It's a good day.

Where I post my research:
    buildingabetterhuman.com

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci

• It helps to have a really detailed percentage breakdown of all foods.  I have a painstakingly assembled spreadsheet.  I had a low-protein day yesterday - still trying to get under 25, and I hit just under 30, so I'm improving.  But I was delighted to find that Macadamias are really low-protein for a nut - 10g has 72 calories, but about .8g protein.  That in itself won't get you there - still above average for what's needed on a low-protein day - but it's helpful to have things like nuts to mix in without blowing things too out of proportion.  (Hmm, actually, if one was to eat 300g of Macadamias for the sole food source, this would be 2160 calories, but still only 24g protein, so not too bad.)

I'm not new to all this tracking, but I am new to the "protein fasting" concept; does anyone have information about research to back up what Dave says about "cleansing our inner cells without muscle loss"?  I don't doubt it, it seems plausible and I've read elsewhere about the challenges to the body from too much protein, but I'd love to see research (or anecdotal reports failing that) specifically addressing how an occasional protein fast day impacts the body, which level of protein is best (15g/25g/1g per 10 lbs body mass /etc), and what frequency of protein fasting best serves.

Happy to have found this community.  Happy to be enjoying my hot buttered coffee...

I'm curious as to your 'meticulous spreadsheet…'  Would you share it with us?

(I have similar wonderings about protein-fast days.  So far, I have been eating green veggies, lots of fat, and carrots and things, because my protein days are not the same as my refeed days…  But I may have to reconsider, given that green veggies apparently can push me over the 30 gram limit for protein.  Still, you'd have to eat a lot of them to get there, no?)