Intermittent Fasting And A Hard Detox

I started eating bulletproof about two weeks ago after following the anti-estrogenic/liver supportive eating plan as laid out at www.sensiblehealth.com for about a month (combined with various supplements - DIM, Chinese bitters, Vitex, Pau DArco, etc). I believe that Chinese bitters and an improved, lower fat diet primed my system to digest all the fat that the Bulletproof plan recommends. Everything seemed to be going great until I received my Upgraded Coffee in the mail. Not being prone to underdoing anything, I planned to do BP Intermittent fasting the next couple days.

After one day, my face seemed to be suffering from a moderate break out spell. I chalked this up to a face mask I applied being too irritating for my skin. Day 2 of the fast and my skin looks like a nightmare. Its usually porcelain like and glowing - now it looks like Ive got a full on adult spell of chicken pox. Total rosacea outbreak. The past 2 years, Ive been diagnosed with scalp psoriasis and slight rosacea - the scalp psoriasis has caused about 50% diffuse hair loss, and rosacea gives me an almost unnoticeable bump every now and then. Point is, I am predisposed to skin conditions as my bodys reaction to pollutants.

I am under the full assumption that the Intermittent Fasting kicked my body into major detox mode. I immediately got charcoal and started taking that, skin brushing, eating raw aloe leaf, and the binding toxins method prescribed by the Primal diet 2x a day - raw cheese (I used goat), butter, and raw honey (I used digestive enzymes). Being familiar with detox symptoms, I know better than to apply steroids to keep the rosacea at bay. A relative much more schooled at detox told me to look at the bright side - at least my external pathways to detox are open. The toxins could be driven internally instead, causing cancerous growths and such. Of course, this does little to assuage the part of me that shudders about going into public looking like this.

Aside from not consuming the Upgraded Coffee anymore (I cant bear the thought) or cutting back on fasting, any recommendations regarding such detox symptoms? Facial steaming, sauna-ing, super hot+super cold showering, sunbathing, other detox supplements? Anyone that had similar symptoms - how long did yours last?
Tagged:

Comments

• Update: I finally caved and started applying topicals - Calamine lotion, plain greek yogurt, raw aloe, jojoba oil. Mostly calamine, washed off and applied again when dry. Then I combined it with some jojoba and applied it to spots, then back to straight calamine. A mask of yogurt helped soften, and I slept with a mix of calamine and yogurt overnight. I sit here with a straight yogurt mask now to soften cause the calamine/yogurt mask felt quite burney upon waking. My entire face is probably going to end red, but the eruptions are MUCH smaller, smoother, and less red. I can work with that.

I read that rosacea can be triggered by you body not being able to digest all the fat that you take in. Guess I havent been digesting as well as I feel that I have. Time, patience, and upping my enzymes should help.
  • Skin is so befuddling sometimes Remember that your skin is on the acidic side, so don't raise the surface pH too much.

You may be experiencing:

a) a worsening because of one of the changes you made, or

image/cool.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' /> a healing reaction on the way to a new level of health and vitality.

Hopefully it's "b." Time will tell.

Have you tried coconut oil internally or externally? Also, I came across using a thyme tincture for skin troubles.

Keep us posted on your progress.
  • 'Mackay' wrote:

Skin is so befuddling sometimes Remember that your skin is on the acidic side, so don't raise the surface pH too much.

You may be experiencing:

a) a worsening because of one of the changes you made, or

image/cool.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' /> a healing reaction on the way to a new level of health and vitality.

Hopefully it's "b." Time will tell.

Have you tried coconut oil internally or externally? Also, I came across using a thyme tincture for skin troubles.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Ive been consuming coconut oil on and off for years now; I have been on again for months. Literally, the only thing that I changed in my routine was the coffee and the fasting. Oh, and the fact that I had been taking Chinese bitters (a less estrogenic form of bitters than the Swedish version) every morning upon waking. Bitters are supposed to help purge the liver of toxins. Perhaps the addition of the coffee fast somehow threw my liver into overdrive? It is a super strong tincture made with alcohol, which should tax the liver...then I go and put half a stick of Kerrygold into it right after taking it? Now that I think about it, the rosacea started getting less cystic with no new appearances the very day I cycled off of the bitters. Its supposed to be taken 3 weeks on, one off.

I havent had an ounce of healing reaction to this new dietary plan other than the rosacea which happened on the first day of coffee consumption and ended the last time I took my bitters. Possible coincidence. Ill be pretty sad if my bitters are incompatible with bulletproof coffee - partially because I feel like its been such a help, partially because I just reordered another bottle. I think the coffee was such a shock to my system that it took a few days to adjust. I drink the same amount of coffee and have been fasting all week, pretty much. Added more enzymes and charcoal. As for my skin, now that Ive dried the crap out of it, its just healing up some. Ill be glowy again in no time. Raw honey worked wonders left on overnight. Raw ACV is also good for reacidifying skin.

As someone thats tried just about every different way of eating for 2 months max consistently, I dont expect instant corrections of immune-system disorders like my psoriasis (and the rosacea was probably momentarily undigested fats). I hope that I can get a year in of being as bulletproof as possible and see my psoriasis decline without topical suppression. My scalps a LOT better (it was never visible, just there), but the 2 spots on my body come and go with flares. Would you believe that when I went to a dermatologist and blasphemously suggested that my psoriasis might be connected to what I was eating, he looked at me like I had two heads and prescribed topical steroids? I was like, hey dude, isnt a skin condition my bodys signal to me that Im not doing something right? Suppressing it is going to drive the symptoms inside. And people wonder why I refuse to go to doctors.

Thanks!
  • Even doctors can't diagnose without testing, so surely take all these suggestions with a grain of salt.

As a long-time cleanser, my thoughts...

- Fasting can bring on a detox effect, the symptoms of which you describe; however usually acidic foods (like saturated fats) will stop or reduce such an effect, so curious that you experienced it.

- Moving quickly from one diet paradigm to another can be uspsetting to your body and it may push back.

- You an ameliorate the effects of detoxing by taking a psyllium husk drinks and detox baths, which I detail in this here: http://wp.me/pA04z-MQ

Good luck.

-Joe
  • In Chinese medicine, the bitter flavor influences the fire element which can present when imbalanced with rosacea. Coffee also has a bitter nature, so maybe too much.....???

@jgarma is right about taking our recommendations with a grain or two of salt.

Keep us posted so we can learn from you.
  • You may want to get your thyroid checked. It sounds like it might be acting up. You could also take lipoceutical glutathione.
  • 'Dave wrote:

You may want to get your thyroid checked. It sounds like it might be acting up. You could also take lipoceutical glutathione.

When I started going to doctors about my diffuse hair loss and scalp psoriasis about 4 years ago, I was tested for everything related to thyroid under the sun multiple times. It was never an issue. Those test results were reviewed by multiple sources on each occasion. Not saying that that means that they were interpreted correctly, as my own mother has been misdiagnosed by someone who thought he was the cats meow of diagnosing thyroid problems. He claimed that most doctors dont interpret thyroid tests properly and she definitely was low on the thyroid funtion scale. Couple years later (on Synthroid and water pills the entire time), she switched doctors and that doctor told her she never had a thyroid problem. She was momentarily stressed which caused her hair to grow brittle, break, and fall out all over. Do not trust doctors in the least.

No one has been able to help with my issues, and Ive spent thousands. All blood tests come back normal. Blood pressures always terrific. An overactive bladder once drove me to go get tested for diabetes (that was my dads first signal that he had become diabetic) - and I was reprimanded by the nurse for doing so. "Why dont you do this at home?" "Um, I dont have a test kit for resting glucose levels at home, sorry." Did a full round of colonics to no avail (except for extreme hydration and a slight ease in losing weight). Tried to do a theraputic hydrogen peroxide regimen as per educate-yourself.org - got to about 23 drops 3x a day before I just gave up. It was way too much, and also didnt do anything for me except make me colder than normal. Been blood tested for most heavy metals, as much as that counts for. Clean.

Im taking some kelp and I did purchase the Whey Protein and the Earthing mat. My psoriasis and hair loss started a month or two after I moved out of a family home into a high rise building, and I resided on the 13th floor. I always thought there was something to that.
  • I don't really have anything to add to this topic other than i love the phrase "the cats meow"... very cute.

That's all
    www.optimoz.com.au

Upgraded products for Aussies AND NOW NZ!!
  • I have scalp psoriasis too. Ugh. Definitely gets better with vitamin D and other fat based nutrition.
  • 'Mackay' wrote:

I have scalp psoriasis too. Ugh. Definitely gets better with vitamin D and other fat based nutrition.

Ill tell you what - the general practice doctor told me the hair loss had everything to do with my psoriasis. The dermatologist told me it had nothing to do with the hair loss. Turns out the dermatologist was right! As of this moment, my hair loss has stopped. Thats the second time in 4 years that I can actually say that. I just noticed this a week or two ago. Still some psoriasis on the scalp and the few flares on the hand, but overall? Everythings a ton better. Besides the initial terrible bout of rosacea, my skins been super clear. Super super happy with my coffee, whey protein, and my Earthing mat. Fully planning on getting the full Earthing sheet in the future. Most days, I drink BP coffee and eat one medium/large meal, as that seems to be all that my body needs.

I was experiencing some irrational anger between the 2-4th week of eating primarily bulletproof, but that also seems to have passed.
  • 'Leon wrote:

I don't really have anything to add to this topic other than i love the phrase "the cats meow"... very cute.

That's all

guilty as charged lolol
  • @ CSp8 Well, your detox, I'm going to call it that since you seem to be a better state now, is very interesting to me. Since starting bulletproof coffee, I've been going through a similar thing with what I thought was poison ivy + heartburn type discomfort and pain.

After your story, I'm wondering if I'm finally getting rid of some of this latent "damp heat" (acupuncture term) that has been with me since teenaged years.

Hmmmmm........
  • 'Mackay' wrote:

@ CSp8 Well, your detox, I'm going to call it that since you seem to be a better state now, is very interesting to me. Since starting bulletproof coffee, I've been going through a similar thing with what I thought was poison ivy + heartburn type discomfort and pain.

After your story, I'm wondering if I'm finally getting rid of some of this latent "damp heat" (acupuncture term) that has been with me since teenaged years.

Hmmmmm........

Have you tried MCT oil on your psoriasis yet? Directly applied, my scalp is almost 100% normalized after just a few treatments. I am astounded. After reading the stuff that was said about it working on sunburn and stretch marks, I said, why not? I have been hesitant to put anything related to coconut oil near my scalp because when I did give coconut oil a go topically, it was almost like I was supercharging my hair loss. Out of every treatment I tried, it was the WORST. I felt like every hair follicle I had was loosened. But the MCT oil....just wow. My scalp feels great even going without a wash for days (I know, I know, overwashing only makes the scalp skin want to turn over even faster, but frequent washing was better for me than infrequent).

Im using MCT oil for everything now. Its my lotion, its my scalp treatment, its my leave in conditioner, its my skin tightening treatment (will be looking into what kinds of oils/serums I might add to boost that effect soon), Im even going to take it on vacation to see how it helps with cutting back on sunblock use. My hair, even though it hasnt gained all that much bulk in 2 months, looks healthier than it has in years. Granted, I havent used, say, neem oil in conjunction with all the CLAs I consume now, but I have a very strong feeling that the MCT oil is very responsible for the change.

Back to the original reason for this thread, my coworker and I were just talking about how awful my skin looked a month ago. Phew, so glad that is over with. I cannot stand looking that unpleasant in public. I switched to a total paraben free regimen using products from gardenofwisdom.com. Cannot say enough about their products.
  • Velly intellesting...... image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

I have a small spot in my thigh that I will try the mct oil on.

The other interesting thing is my blood sugar has come down. It had been hanging out in the low 100's but yesterday before lunch it was 78.

Needless to say, my stalled weight loss is no longer stalled.

Forget chicken. Eat More Fat!
  • So glad to hear you are better. Very interesting stuff...

Do let us know what you find out about skin treatment image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

(Love this place! :>)
  • wow, i had the exact same symptoms in response to Bulletproof Coffee (outbreak of rosacea - insanely bad heart burn). I'm wondering if this is because:

a. I don't do well with butter.

b. BPC calls for a relatively large amount of saturated fat, more than my body is accustomed to.

c. I have weak stomach acid, or "hypochlorydia", which can cause indigestion and, indirectly, leaky gut.

These are my guesses, let me know what you guys think. I have some betaine hcl I'm probably going to start taking just to see if it lessens the acne/reaction.
  • http://rosacea-support.org/community/viewtopic.php?t=17

Just found this, so I'm gonna go with betaine hcl for now.
  • edited December 2012
    Detoxing:

Fasting and stimulants are a horrible combo.

Coffee is a poison, it should not be used when detoxing.

Most people should cut coffee.
  • suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭
    edited December 2012

Detoxing:

I can't believe anyone on here would follow someone dogmatic like that.
  • edited December 2012

LOL!! I find this post and the link HIllarious. Thankx! image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />