1 Week Of Bp Coffee - Some Interesting Effects

I started taking ~BP coffee last week (not using BP beans yet though) with 15g Kerrygold butter (salted variety) and 15g MCT oil.

Besides the expected effects, higher body temperature and more energy I also noticed:

Slight heartburn

Nausea (especially on the bus to work)

Needed to pee a-lot during the first few days and felt slightly more thirsty throughout the day

Lost about 1Kg (perhaps this is from peeing so much?)

The BP coffee is the only change to my diet, I still have a normal breakfast before it.

What could be the cause of the sudden weight-loss, despite eating more calories overall?

Comments

• IIRC dave mentions GOOD coffee should not make you pee excessively, i think he mentioned that this is the body trying to void the toxins it just took in. also maybe try reducing the fat content then working back up.

TL:DR- BIOhack--- Try better coffee, if symptoms persist then augment the amounts of Mct/Butter. maybe make sure your salt intake is adequate for water retention?

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

For a short answer to your question, the BP coffee is most likely the cause of sudden weight-loss. The fact still remains that weight measurements fluctuate violently throughout the day and week so it's not really an accurate measurement of fat loss. I assume that is what you are referring to when you mention weight loss since you added the part about eating more calories. Then there is also the thought that calories don't matter as much as we once thought when it comes to fat loss and fat gain.

If you just started taking MCT Oil then that is probably the cause of your nausea. 

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited September 2013

Think it's a bit soon to be worrying about anything. I'd advise at least 2 weeks before you worry about any effect. Takes time to get fat adapted. Took me two weeks and I was fairly low carb and junk food. If your diet is poor is might take a while.

Plus MCT is a liquid so it's millilitres  not grams :wink:

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• RodRod The Rodfather

You need to be on Betaine HCL at the very least, some digestive enzymes would help too. At least oxbile, your body is not used to all that fat. 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• Think it's a bit soon to be worrying about anything. I'd advise at least 2 weeks before you worry about any effect. Takes time to get fat adapted. Took me two weeks and I was fairly low carb and junk food. If your diet is poor is might take a while.

Plus MCT is a liquid so it's millilitres  not grams :wink:

I didn't measure the volume, just weighed out 15g :p

The excessive peeing seems to have stopped which is good but I'll keep an eye on it for this second week. I'm hoping the nausea (and it is only very slight, but noticeable) will subside as I get used to the amount of fat.

My diet isn't bulletproof, I'm using a custom 'Soylent' recipe which is mostly fats (coconut oil, MCT oil, small amount of rapseed oil) and protein,  carbs come from (oats and maltodextrin). This has been a constant for the past 3 months, except the MCT oil which I added a few days before I started the BP coffee (no nausea/excessive peeing until the coffee though).

I'll look into the digestive aids :)

Thanks for the replies

• 1. In terms of the nausea, how fast are you drinking the coffee? Most beginners with BPC from what I've seen tend to drink it at a pace they used to drink non-BP coffee and the rush of fat into their system can cause nausea and queeziness. Secondly, I'm not sure what 15g equals to in volume, but if you're going above 2 tbsp of MCT for your first month of MCT and don't have a tolerance to it, that could absolutely be causing your nausea. Most people's bodies are not accustomed to that kind of fat ingestion in such a soluable state and they start out with a dose of MCT which is too high. You can try backing off the MCT a little to see if that improves your nausea issue, then ramp back up slowly over time.

2. I agree with others, I wouldn't even consider the effects of the BPC either pro or con at one week out.

3. If you're adding BPC as a tool for weight loss, and weight loss is your goal, ditch the oats & maltodextrin and you'll see even more amazing effects within a couple of weeks. Let your carbs come from green leafy veggies, and a sweet potato now and again if you're working out. It's a great post-workout carb.

• KarlWalshKarlWalsh
    edited September 2013

The nausea has gone now, except yesterday when I tried 15g MCT, 20g coconut oil, 15g butter :D

I'm not trying to lose weight and I'm slowly replacing some soylent meals with good quality food. Favorite so far is some good quality salmon, lots of green veg and loads of butter.

Living with my mother in-law at the moment so beef is off the menu (She's Hindu), until we move out again.

Apart from the increase in energy (which is by far the best result of taking MCT oil) I really enjoy the increased body temperature, it's a really comforting feeling and I find I barely notice the colder weather. Being quite slim I am usually freezing my tits off at the slightest drop  :oops: and my fingers are often uncomfortably cold.

1. In terms of the nausea, how fast are you drinking the coffee? Most beginners with BPC from what I've seen tend to drink it at a pace they used to drink non-BP coffee and the rush of fat into their system can cause nausea and queeziness. Secondly, I'm not sure what 15g equals to in volume, but if you're going above 2 tbsp of MCT for your first month of MCT and don't have a tolerance to it, that could absolutely be causing your nausea. Most people's bodies are not accustomed to that kind of fat ingestion in such a soluable state and they start out with a dose of MCT which is too high. You can try backing off the MCT a little to see if that improves your nausea issue, then ramp back up slowly over time.

2. I agree with others, I wouldn't even consider the effects of the BPC either pro or con at one week out.

3. If you're adding BPC as a tool for weight loss, and weight loss is your goal, ditch the oats & maltodextrin and you'll see even more amazing effects within a couple of weeks. Let your carbs come from green leafy veggies, and a sweet potato now and again if you're working out. It's a great post-workout carb.

• KarlWalshKarlWalsh
    edited October 2013

So it has been several weeks now, and I have slowly increased the fat in my BP coffee. My first meal is then between 1pm-2pm.

Coffee is now:

30g butter (sometimes raw organic butter which tastes awesome and costs £3.50 from hookandson.co.uk at Borough Market. They sell raw milk too which is delicious)

30g MCT oil

15g cacao butter (removing this soon, not a fan of the flavour. Much tastier without it)

15g coconut oil

The energy levels are incredible :) I have some observations so far

1. 1) I'm really jittery soon after the coffee and I feel like I'm racing all day. I used to be quite chilled out but now I can be quite impatient

2. 2) Skin is drier (might be more my diet changes than the coffee itself). Not so much my face, mostly my arms (And only really if I shower - Is not showering very often BP?, if so I'm super BP :smile:)

3. 3) Eyes can feel a little bit dry

4. 4) Mood is really exacerbated, if I'm irritated the coffee really potentiates the effects, similarly if I'm in a good mood I can't keep still (especially as I type this with music playing in the background). Unfortunately the good mood doesn't remove the slight impatience which means the mood can change more towards irritation.

There were lots of interruptions at work yesterday and I was far less accommodating than usual, especially as I have a huge complex task to finish that requires all my attention. The problem is I was visibly more annoyed than usual which isn't like me at all.

5. 5) Impressive energy levels

My day now looks like:

07:30: BP coffee and 5000IU Vitamin D.

13:30: Lunch of protein, butter, veg (yesterday was 3 eggs, 20g of butter, spinach, brocoli, sweet potato, small amount of quinoa)

Snacks after lunch - nuts

20:30: Dinner (will usually contain chapattis, I can't give them up yet)

My day used to be mostly made up of Soylent (homemade) which provided me a good dose of vitamins and minerals. I reckon I am now missing some of these things with my current diet. What supplements in addition to this should I be looking to take? And if so when would be the best time? (with coffee or with food at lunch-time?)

Thanks for reading

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file