You Really Are What You Eat

katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
edited September 2013 in The Bulletproof Diet

You are what you eat! — As the saying goes, which is surprisingly true, you are made of what you eat. Your body's cells renew completely every 7(isn) years, some obviously faster than others. But if you think about it, you've been rebuild completely from your dietary input from who/what ever you were 7 years ago. The food you've been eating is the only external source your body has to regenerate. So you literal are made of what you've eaten. (corrections welcome if I'm incorrect on this fact)

Here's my list of current ingredients, both good and bad. So if someone asks me 'What are you made of?' here's the list.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Proteins

Canned Sardines/Mackerel/salmon

Eggs

Fillet Steak

Whey Protein

Bacon

Oils & Fats

MCT Oil

Cocoa Nibs/butter/powder

Coconut Milk/Cream

Veggies & Fruits

Olives

Avocado

Sweet Potato

Broccoli 

Asparagus

Green Beans

Spinach

Kale

Cauliflower

Spring onions

Strawberries 

Blueberries

Nuts & Legumes

Brazil nuts

Macadamia nuts

Grains

White Rice

Dairy

Kerry Gold Butter

Spices & Flavourings

Cinnamon

Vanilla Powder

Pastley

Thyme

Turmeric

Cayenne

Pink Salt

Maca Powder

Chlorella Powder

Spirulina Powder

Sweetener & Sugars

–

Nightshades

Red/Green Chilli

Scotch Bonnet Chilli

Miscellenous

Coffee

Lindt Chocolate 85%/90%

Drinks

Water

Diet Coke

Orange Squash Cordial Drink

Suppliments

BCAAs

Turmeric Powder

Krill Oil 

Fish Oil

Creatine

L Glutamine

Vitamin D3

Vitamin K2 

Vitamin A 

Vitamin E 

Vitamin D3 

Vitamin B6 

Vitamin C 

Vitamin B12 

Beta-Carotene 

Potassium 

Selenium

CoEnzyme Q-10

Magnesium 

Zinc

kelp 

L Carnitine

Tribulus Pro

Glucosamine Chondroitin & MSM

Green Tea

Obviously this is my current diet and not all the food consumed over the last 7 years. I eat roughly the same thing most days, so the list is short for 7 days worth of food & drink and was easy to do. I'm guessing most peoples would be much longer. Anything I've missed off I'll eat less than once a week and I've not included amounts, which vary. Pretty happy with what I'm made of. Diet coke is the only thing I really want to remove. So this is what I am currently choosing each week to make myself from.

What are you made of?

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

Comments

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

So next time when introducing myself I'll just say, I'm Humpty Dumpty! :D (made of eggs)

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

You are what you eat! — As the saying goes, which is surprisingly true, you are made of what you eat. Your body's cells renew completely every 7(isn) years, some obviously faster than others. But if you think about it, you've been rebuild completely from your dietary input from who/what ever you were 7 years ago. The food you've been eating is the only external source your body has to regenerate. So you literal are made of what you've eaten. (corrections welcome if I'm incorrect on this fact)

Here's my list of current ingredients, both good and bad. So if someone asks me 'What are you made of?' here's the list.

Proteins

Canned Sardines/Mackerel/salmon

Eggs

Fillet Steak

Whey Protein

Bacon

Oils & Fats

MCT Oil

Cocoa Nibs/butter/powder

Coconut Milk/Cream

Veggies & Fruits

Olives

Avocado

Sweet Potato

Broccoli 

Asparagus

Green Beans

Spinach

Kale

Cauliflower

Spring onions

Strawberries 

Blueberries

Nuts & Legumes

Brazil nuts

Macadamia nuts

Grains

White Rice

Dairy

Kerry Gold Butter

Spices & Flavourings

Cinnamon

Vanilla Powder

Pastley

Thyme

Turmeric

Cayenne

Pink Salt

Maca Powder

Chlorella Powder

Spirulina Powder

Sweetener & Sugars

–

Nightshades

Red/Green Chilli

Scotch Bonnet Chilli

Miscellenous

Coffee

Lindt Chocolate 85%/90%

Drinks

Water

Diet Coke

Orange Squash Cordial Drink

Suppliments

BCAAs

Turmeric Powder

Krill Oil 

Fish Oil

Creatine

L Glutamine

Vitamin D3

Vitamin K2 

Vitamin A 

Vitamin E 

Vitamin D3 

Vitamin B6 

Vitamin C 

Vitamin B12 

Beta-Carotene 

Potassium 

Selenium

CoEnzyme Q-10

Magnesium 

Zinc

kelp 

L Carnitine

Tribulus Pro

Glucosamine Chondroitin & MSM

Green Tea

Obviously this is my current diet and not all the food consumed over the last 7 years. I eat roughly the same thing most days, so the list is short for 7 days worth of food & drink and was easy to do. I'm guessing most peoples would be much longer. Anything I've missed off I'll eat less than once a week and I've not included amounts, which vary. Pretty happy with what I'm made of. Diet coke is the only thing I really want to remove. So this is what I am currently choosing each week to make myself from.

What are you made of?

Crap, i really want a coke zero now.

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• RodRod The Rodfather

I was shocked when I saw diet coke lol 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• Why no almonds or cashews ;(?

• Katolotus, that is awesome dude!

It may not be "perfect" by bulletproof standards, but you've got a ton of really good stuff in there. One can make a thread/post about  almost any one of the things you've listed, and all of the benefits, but here's a few I'll comment on.

Turmeric, I've recently found out, has a considerably lengthy amount of health benefits. While listed as a spice and not a food, I'd likely put it in a "superfood" category. It's that impressive, to me.

I see you list selenium as a supplement you take, why not get all of your daily selenium from brazil nuts, and save money/cut out that supp? Depending on the size, just 4 to 6 brazil nuts daily can give you what you need.

Also, on your vitamin A and B supps. you may be able to remove/cut back on those if you eat enough liver (I see it's not listed) or take liver capsules, if you can't stand the taste of liver. I get mine from Radiant Life. As you know, liver is loaded with B vitamins, as well as vitamin A and a host of other healthy things.

With your healthy diet and supplement list, I'd love to see a WellnessFX type (or similar) blood draw from you, I bet your numbers are off the charts good, if you've been following this diet for awhile.

• edited September 2013

Off the top of my head, this is what my diet currently looks like. I do not care if it is bulletproof or not, but it is a combination of the many sources I look to for nutrition advice. Asterisks mean that the item is essential to my diet.

Protein

**Eggs

**Grass-fed lamb

Bacon

& occasionally, other meat sources.

Oils & Fats

**Coconut oil

MCT oil

Fruits

*Grapes

Watermelon

Bananas

& other fruits.

Vegetables

**Carrots

Potatoes

Onions

Nuts & Legumes

none

Grains

White rice

Dairy

**Milk

*Butter

Cheese

Ghee

Ice cream

Misc.

**White sugar

*Canning/pickling salt

*Rosemary

Ginger

Garlic

Oregano

Baker's chocolate

Beef gelatin

Honey

Drinks:

**Milk

**Coffee

**Teas

*Orange Juice

I take and experiment with various herbs and extracts, most vitamins, some minerals and amino acids, other supplements. And aspirin.

Adversaries to my diet:

Soy, wheat/grains, corn, polyunsatured oils/fats, unhealthy additives.

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited September 2013

I eat almonds and cashews, but not very often, also sometimes use almond butter and cashew butter too.

Not really into Liver, but might give it a try. Been taking Bazil nut occasionally as 4-hour body recommends it for testosterone increase, but they are hard to find in the condition Dave Aspray recommends, but I do try and get organic when I can.

As for my bloods:

Started Bulletproof Coffee 5th November 2012

(29 Weeks to June 2013)

90% bulletproof Diet from 11th March 2013

(11 Weeks to June 2013)

Blood work 20th May 2013. One BPC in the morning of the blood test. Test at 11:30am (monday)

Total Cholestrol 7.2 (278 mg/dl)

HDL 3.8 (147mg/dl)

LDL 3.0 (116mg/dl)

Tri 0.96 (85mg/dl)

Ratio is 1.9

HDL/Total: Should be higher than 0.24.

147/278 = .53

Triglycerides/HDL: Should be below 2.0.

85/147 = .57

HDL/LDL:  >.3 = Good, >.4 = Great

147/116= 1.26

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited September 2013

Your results seem great. And this is a bit off topic but I watched your fight for which the link is in your sig, and was shocked to see you're 40, you could subtract at least 5 years (like those actresses who turn 30 for the 10th time :D ) and everyone would believe it.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• RodRod The Rodfather

I eat almonds and cashews, but not very often, also sometimes use almond butter and cashew butter too.

Not really into Liver, but might give it a try. Been taking Bazil nut occasionally as 4-hour body recommends it for testosterone increase, but they are hard to find in the condition Dave Aspray recommends, but I do try and get organic when I can.

As for my bloods:

Started Bulletproof Coffee 5th November 2012

(29 Weeks to June 2013)

90% bulletproof Diet from 11th March 2013

(11 Weeks to June 2013)

Blood work 20th May 2013. One BPC in the morning of the blood test. Test at 11:30am (monday)

Total Cholestrol 7.2 (278 mg/dl)

HDL 3.8 (147mg/dl)

LDL 3.0 (116mg/dl)

Tri 0.96 (85mg/dl)

Ratio is 1.9

HDL/Total: Should be higher than 0.24.

147/278 = .53

Triglycerides/HDL: Should be below 2.0.

85/147 = .57

HDL/LDL:  >.3 = Good, >.4 = Great

147/116= 1.26

Kato, what about Lp(a) or oxidized cholesterol??

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• Andy BoskampAndy Boskamp Andy Boskamp

My list is rather shorted comparatively. I have experimented with whey as a protein source in the past, but have recently cut it out as I think I may be sensitive to it. Likewise I have cut out butter and upped the mct oil. So far so good.

Proteins:

85/15 ground beef

sockeye salmon (1x/wk)

hydrolyzed collagen

Fats:

mct oil (as needed to maintain satiety)

egg yolks (3/day, ~7g protein too)

Carbs:

broccoli

sweet potato (2.5lbs on refeeds)

trehalose (12g before bed on non-refeed days)

Other:

pink salt

apple cider vinegar

coffee

and last but not least... water (duh!)

“The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.”

- Marcus Aurelius

• this is an interesting thing to ponder. probably not a lot of variation amongst folks on this forum, but assuming there's been a decent amount of cell-replacing over the past 4 months, i'm mostly made of (in order of most to least):

proteins: ground beef, whey, collagen, pastured eggs, sardines, steak, bison, salmon

oils/fats: butter, mct, coconut oil, olive oil, chocolate

veggies/fruits:  avocado, broccoli,kale, spinach,acai, aronia berry, carrots, arugula,  bok choy , leeks, fennel, cauliflower, asparagus, sweet potato, brussell sprouts, blackberries, raspberries

nuts/legumes: coconut butter

dairy: kalona and organic valley butter

spices and flavorings: ginger, vanilla, pink salt, cayenne, turmeric, thyme, rosemary, oregano, parsley, apple cider vinegar, liquid stevia, cinnamon

beverages: RO water, BP coffee, 

processed stuff with a handful of ingredients: quest bars, tanka bars, kale chips, chocolate bars (lindt, vivani, alter eco)

supplements: b12, k2, d3, selenium, zinc, c, magnesium glycinate, a, cod liver oil, potassium

• My list is rather shorted comparatively. I have experimented with whey as a protein source in the past, but have recently cut it out as I think I may be sensitive to it. Likewise I have cut out butter and upped the mct oil. So far so good.

Proteins:

85/15 ground beef

sockeye salmon (1x/wk)

hydrolyzed collagen

Fats:

mct oil (as needed to maintain satiety)

egg yolks (3/day, ~7g protein too)

Carbs:

broccoli

sweet potato (2.5lbs on refeeds)

trehalose (12g before bed on non-refeed days)

Other:

pink salt

apple cider vinegar

coffee

and last but not least... water (duh!)

How do you eat 2.5 lbs of sweet potatoes? and what is Trehalose?

• this is an interesting thing to ponder. probably not a lot of variation amongst folks on this forum, but assuming there's been a decent amount of cell-replacing over the past 4 months, i'm mostly made of (in order of most to least):

proteins: ground beef, whey, collagen, pastured eggs, sardines, steak, bison, salmon

oils/fats: butter, mct, coconut oil, olive oil, chocolate

veggies/fruits:  avocado, broccoli,kale, spinach,acai, aronia berry, carrots, arugula,  bok choy , leeks, fennel, cauliflower, asparagus, sweet potato, brussell sprouts, blackberries, raspberries

nuts/legumes: coconut butter

dairy: kalona and organic valley butter

spices and flavorings: ginger, vanilla, pink salt, cayenne, turmeric, thyme, rosemary, oregano, parsley, apple cider vinegar, liquid stevia, cinnamon

beverages: RO water, BP coffee, 

processed stuff with a handful of ingredients: quest bars, tanka bars, kale chips, chocolate bars (lindt, vivani, alter eco)

supplements: b12, k2, d3, selenium, zinc, c, magnesium glycinate, a, cod liver oil, potassium

Have you tried Kalona Cottage Cheese? SOOOOOO GOOOD

• OP I hope you're joking about diet coke!

• never tried their cottage cheese, but everything else of theirs is damn awesome. i used to get pretty excited when they came out with their egg nogg. 

i like their butter cause it is vat pasteurized and not TOO far from where i live. good stuff.