Have You Had Your Cholesterol Tested?

Hey y'all

I have recently found out that my cholesterol has doubled after a month on the bulletproof diet. I have spoken with a couple of other people who have found that they too have had a significant increase in their cholesterol.

The pattern appears to be increased total and LDL cholesterol with a drop in triglycerides.

I thought I would run a poll to see how many of you have acutally measured your lipids whilst on the bulletprood diet and what the results are.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• kittykitty
    edited July 2012
    I need to have mine done, I find it immensely interesting that dave and also Chris Kresser and Peter Attia are not generally too concerned with higher cholesterol. Being a physiology/anatomy/biochemistry student I find it rather contradictory compared to the things I am presented in my courses. Also contradictory to the things we've all been told many years over! It has been shown that people with lower cholesterol are more likely to have heart disease, and that really excess amounts of sugar are linked to having atherosclerosis, not the fats themselves.

Without knowing my serum cholesterol levels, I do know that I initially started to have a pounding heart and postural blood pressure drops or increases when I started to have bulletproof coffee. I did not have the same effect when just using coconut oil/MCT and taking out the butter.

What if the cholesterol raise is just a sort of temporary adjustment? This is just a hypothesis. But If our bodies have adjustment periods, especially after years of whatever wrong things we have given them, perhaps the elevated cholesterol is just an temporary thing that will improve. If the fat intake hasnt been as high as it is now. Just some thoughts.
  • Hi Kitty

I am hoping your hypothesis is correct! I'll check my lipids again in a couple of months and we'll see.
  • It would be very interesting to see folks post their post-BP lipid numbers. Mine have flown threw the roof...and trying to get a handle on it. Lipid panels of others would be very interesting...
  • Here is what Volek & Phinney state in their book, “The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living.”(Chapter 13).

“There is one anomaly in clinical testing that physicians and patients should be award of: a transient rise in serum total and LDL cholesterol that can occur with major weight loss. We reported this in 1991 [101], and our research revealed the cause. It turns out that along with the triglyceride stored in adipose tissue, our fat cell also contains a small amount of dissolved cholesterol. After about 30 pounds of weight loss, the shrinkage of these cellular fat droplets proceeds to the point that some of this cholesterol has to be released into the serum. The amount of cholesterol involved is 100-200 mg per day in someone losing 2 pounds of adipose tissue per week. Interestingly, although this represents ‘reverse transport’ back to the liver, this cholesterol rise appears in the LDL fraction. But once a person’s weight loss ceases, this expulsion of cholesterol stored in adipose tissue stops and serum LDL cholestrol returns to its new post-weight-loss baseline.

So if you or your patient experience a rise in serum LDL cholestrol as the scale passes 30 or more pounds of weight loss, don’t panic. This is a sign that your body is dumping previously accumulated cholesterol. Since this situation typically lasts only a month or two,whereas it takes decades of elevated LDL cholesterol to cause blood vessel damage, the probability of any clinical risk is very small.”

I wouldn't worry much as you are probably losing some weight and this is what initially happens. Give it time + after you have stabilized for a couple of months, then test to see what your lipid profile is. IMHO a total cholesterol of 240-250 is fine.
  • I got my cholesterol results today after being 100% bulletproof for about 3 and a half weeks. My total cholesterol went up to 339. My LDL went from 160 in September 2011 to 277. HDL remained the same, and triglycerides went down. My numbers are:

Total: 339

LDL: 277

HDL: 42

TRI: 100

I have been searching the forums here trying to find if this is something to be expected with the diet change. I see a bunch of people mentioning it, but no follow ups after a longer timeline. Has anyone seen results after longer than 6 months?
  • I've been looking into this a lot, as I have a history of bad lipid numbers -- at least according to conventional doctor's wisdom.

Here are my stats:

Before Bulletproof (estimated. I don't remember exact figures)

HDL very low ~30 went down to 24 after taking Statins

LDL High ~180 went down to 120 after taking Statins

Triglycerides ranged from over 400 to around 100

Oxidation and inflammation very low

3 Months on BP diet with Dr. Patel who is thorough and BP friendly

LDL-C (this is what is shown as LDL above) - 164

HDL - 39

Triglycerides - 365

Apo B (I believe this is a proxy for LDL particle size) - 176

LDL-P (LDL particle count) - 2782

%sdLDL (percentage of small dense LDL, these oxidize easily) - 24

9 months after BP (with more of a 90% compliance whereas I was near 100% in the first 3 months)

LDL-C (this is what is shown as LDL above) - 230

HDL-C - 54

Triglycerides - 160

Apo B (I believe this is a proxy for LDL particle size) - 189

LDL-P (LDL particle count) - > 3500

There are a bunch of other numbers that are interesting. If anyone is interested I can post images of my results. The key message I found is that my cholesterol numbers generally seemed to get worse on BP. But that's not the full story. My doctor performed a series of tests on me.

1) One is a sonogram of your neck looking for plaque (none found).

2) Chorus CAD - Measures gene expression to determine health of your arteries from within the artery wall (Everything looked good)

He still wasn't satisfied, because many of my numbers just didn't add up.

Third test was the CET, which measures V02 Max compared to heart rate and EKG readings. This found that the blood vessels around my heart do not dilate properly when under aerobic stress.

Yup, that's heart disease. Atherosclerosis. A scary word for a 39 year old.

Do I think Bulletproof caused this? No, In fact, I think it's probably helped. Now that the doctor explained the hear issue, I can recognize the symptoms I've had much of my adult life. In fact, I'm doubling down on BP. BP is a major part of the solution. What I want everyone to understand is the following:

1) Our bodies are complex and the standard Lipid test does nothing more than indicate possible health risks.

2) Find a doctor who goes beyond the basics and understands the difference between LDL-p and LDL-C. Knows what apo-b is, understands that LDL is not actually cholesterol but a lipoptrotein carrying cholesterol and other things.

3) Study this stuff like your life depends on it - it may.

My condition should be 100% reversible. We're treating it with a combination of diet, supplementation, medicine and exercise. But if my doctor hadn't been so curious about it, I never would have found the real problem. My previous doctor had me on Statins which artificially lowered my total cholesterol, but may or may not have impacted the root cause of the issue. Statins, "healthy" whole grains and fish oil were her only tools.

For more research check out Chris Masterjohn. He's the man when it comes to this stuff. Use his blog The Daily Lipid and definitely listen to his three-part series on Chris Kresser's podcast part 1, part 2, part 3. Chris Kresser has a High Cholesterol Action Plan I'm doing and it's helping me better understand the underlying biochemistry. you don't have to do it, but it's the most condensed way for a layman to learn that I've found (Warning, affiliate link ahead) You can read about it here.
  • One more thing. I forgot to add that lots of people get short-term spikes in LDL when going on a Paleo/BP type diet. There are many reasons why it could actually be a sign of better health -- clearing fatty liver disease for instance. Don't automatically worry, just do your due diligence over time to make sure there's nothing wrong.
  • Thanks so much for all that info, Leo. It is very helpful. Please keep us updated with your progress.
  • RodRod The Rodfather
    edited December 2012
    'Leo wrote:

I've been looking into this a lot, as I have a history of bad lipid numbers -- at least according to conventional doctor's wisdom.

Here are my stats:

Before Bulletproof (estimated. I don't remember exact figures)

HDL very low ~30 went down to 24 after taking Statins

LDL High ~180 went down to 120 after taking Statins

Triglycerides ranged from over 400 to around 100

Oxidation and inflammation very low

3 Months on BP diet with Dr. Patel who is thorough and BP friendly

LDL-C (this is what is shown as LDL above) - 164

HDL - 39

Triglycerides - 365

Apo B (I believe this is a proxy for LDL particle size) - 176

LDL-P (LDL particle count) - 2782

9 months after BP (with more of a 90% compliance whereas I was near 100% in the first 3 months)

LDL-C (this is what is shown as LDL above) - 230

HDL-C - 54

Triglycerides - 160

Apo B (I believe this is a proxy for LDL particle size) - 189

LDL-P (LDL particle count) - > 3500

There are a bunch of other numbers that are interesting. If anyone is interested I can post images of my results. The key message I found is that my cholesterol numbers generally seemed to get worse on BP. But that's not the full story. My doctor performed a series of tests on me.

1) One is a sonogram of your neck looking for plaque (none found).

2) Chorus CAD - Measures gene expression to determine health of your arteries from within the artery wall (Everything looked good)

He still wasn't satisfied, because many of my numbers just didn't add up.

Third test was the CET, which measures V02 Max compared to heart rate and EKG readings. This found that the blood vessels around my heart do not dilate properly when under aerobic stress.

Yup, that's heart disease. Atherosclerosis. A scary word for a 39 year old.

Do I think Bulletproof caused this? No, In fact, I think it's probably helped. Now that the doctor explained the hear issue, I can recognize the symptoms I've had much of my adult life. In fact, I'm doubling down on BP. BP is a major part of the solution. What I want everyone to understand is the following:

1) Our bodies are complex and the standard Lipid test does nothing more than indicate possible health risks.

2) Find a doctor who goes beyond the basics and understands the difference between LDL-p and LDL-C. Knows what apo-b is, understands that LDL is not actually cholesterol but a lipoptrotein carrying cholesterol and other things.

3) Study this stuff like your life depends on it - it may.

My condition should be 100% reversible. We're treating it with a combination of diet, supplementation, medicine and exercise. But if my doctor hadn't been so curious about it, I never would have found the real problem. My previous doctor had me on Statins which artificially lowered my total cholesterol, but may or may not have impacted the root cause of the issue. Statins, "healthy" whole grains and fish oil were her only tools.

For more research check out Chris Masterjohn. He's the man when it comes to this stuff. Use his blog The Daily Lipid and definitely listen to his three-part series on Chris Kresser's podcast part 1, part 2, part 3. Chris Kresser has a High Cholesterol Action Plan I'm doing and it's helping me better understand the underlying biochemistry. you don't have to do it, but it's the most condensed way for a layman to learn that I've found (Warning, affiliate link ahead) You can read about it here.

Amazing story, we're here with you 100% of the way!!!!!!Thanks for inspiring me!! Please keep us updated!!!!!!

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected]