Suck At Making Coffee

I can't make a good cup of coffee in my new french press to save my life. 

I use around 3-4 TBSP of coffee and 500 mL of boiling water, let it steep for 4 minutes, and press it. It's very light and not good.

What size should the coffee grounds be? Could this be causing a bad taste?

Thanks

Comments

• The best investment that I've ever made, as far as coffee, is the Aero-Press. I really can't use anything else to make coffee anymore.  My Keurig just sits in the corner.  It's a reasonable priced and very durable.  I used it everyday to make BPC.  

http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm

• I can't make a good cup of coffee in my new french press to save my life. 

I use around 3-4 TBSP of coffee and 500 mL of boiling water, let it steep for 4 minutes, and press it. It's very light and not good.

Thanks

I'm not a barista or anything, but I believe the coffee should be ground fairly coarse when using a french press, to avoid getting too much of the coffee grinds in the bottom of your cup.  I recently read an article that suggested 2 TBSP of coffee per 6 ounces of water used.  

If the taste is too bitter in the finish, I think that is due to the water being too hot.  

• edited September 2013

In a video demonstration of making coffee, Dave Asprey suggested 35 grams of coffee for 500 mL of 196° (91°C) water.  He said when using a french press, don't pour out the very last bit of coffee, because you'll get some dregs.

He said that a burr mill type of coffee grinder is better than a blade type of grinder.

I can't make a good cup of coffee in my new french press to save my life. 

Thanks

• www.brewmethods.com

That's a great link.  Thanks for sharing. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file