Gout

My dad has gout, it comes and goes. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions to help his condition. Perhaps some diet changes or supplements. He smokes, has high cholesterol and is on Fenofibrate and anti depressants.
Tagged:

Comments

• The BP diet. Seriously. 

No sorcery, just science. 

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress
  • I used to get gout.  It was always brought on by binging on sugar and fat, probably transfat.  Think of a dinner of a supersized Big Mac meal, and for dessert a whole bunch of kit kats, and then a half tub of ice cream a little later.  So yeah diet has a lot to do with it, probably everything.  BP is probably best, but at the very least just avoid processed foods.

As far as treatment the best I found is 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda water twice a day with 800mg of ibuprofen.  Ibuprofen worked by itself, so did the baking soda water, but they worked best together.  Personally I wouldn't do that for more than 2-3 days because that much ibuprofen might not be good for your liver, so I would recommend doing further research to get a better idea of a safe amount.  Since he has other medications it might be best to check with his doctor to make sure it won't react with anything else he's taking.

What that did for me is if I was in a full blown attack it brought the pain from a "feels like someone is driving a stake through my toe, cut it off or kill me" level to a "OMFG that hurts" level pretty quickly.  If I did that at the first tingle of an attack sometimes it wouldn't even get to a full gout attack, and the pain level would never reach more than half of the worse attacks.  But it's been years since I've had to deal with gout.

Here's the website I learned this protocol from, and it has a lot of other info too http://www.icuredmygout.org/

• I think I have discovered that tomatoes can be a trigger for my gout.