Bpc - Dry Skin

I've just started drinking BPC with upgraded beans, MCT oil, grass fed butter for the last 4 days and have noticed my skin drying out.

Is this from the caffeine or my body being in ketosis (I'm fasting as well 16/8). Will this get better after a few weeks as my body gets used to the fat and caffeine? 

If it continues should I switch to decaf upgraded beans?

My biggest concern is that I won't get the euphoria of alertness/clarity of mind as I do with the caffeine in the regular upgraded coffee I'm drinking at the moment. 

Would love to hear your thoughts and if anyone has had similar experiences! 

Comments

• I've noticed after a few months of drinking bullet proof coffee and working to stay to the green side of the diet that my skin is extremely moist. My fiance has even commented and asked if I'm moisturizing, which I'm not. I would say give it a little more time. The interesting thing about the skin moisture is it also appears to be tougher. I'm not getting the calluses I would typically get from doing farmers carries and other lifts. My skin just seems stronger and more resilient in general. 

• Before I started drinking BP coffee I had no caffeine in my diet.

• I've noticed after a few months of drinking bullet proof coffee and working to stay to the green side of the diet that my skin is extremely moist. My fiance has even commented and asked if I'm moisturizing, which I'm not. I would say give it a little more time. The interesting thing about the skin moisture is it also appears to be tougher. I'm not getting the calluses I would typically get from doing farmers carries and other lifts. My skin just seems stronger and more resilient in general. 

Did you experience any dry skin when you started out though?  

Like you, before BP coffee, I had no caffeine in my diet - mainly because of the weird effects (bad quality coffee/caffeine) had on my body. 

Appreciate your reply, thanks!

• With the BP diet and much cleaner food in general, my mild adult acne has cleared up. I still have slightly oily skin -- that hasn't changed-- but it looks clearer and brighter.

I am surmising that going too low carb/ketogenic for too long without refeeds would dry out your skin.

Mary

• My skin was a little dry at first, but I was swimming a lot. I chalked it up to chlorine.  

• I get dry too, with or without carbs, Pre and post going BP. I tried no eggs gor a month, only veggies etc with no result. Doctors just want to give me steroidcreams.
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
  • Same issue for me, on top of that i have my hair thinning and i believe i have started balding, which is really not great. Any ideas to reverse that?
  • I say if it continues get a coconut oil body wash or lotion. Or you could start using hydrolyzed collagen and vitamin c if you weren't already.
  • Don't switch to decaf.  Start drinking small amounts water more frequently. If you start peeing more than once every three hours you are drinking too much water.  Try some seabuckthorn tea, I love it.  Eat avocado daily.   Stop using commercial soap.  I use a few drops of Dr. Bonners "soap" with 1/2 cup baking soda and enough water to make a paste.  "Put that stuff on everything" even hair, you don't need soap. 

• Dry skin is also a symptom of hypothyroidism.  You can get over the counter thyroid glandular ....American Biologics is a good brand.  Even one a day might make a huge difference.  Six tabs are the maximum dose but if you don't have other symptoms you probably won't need that much.  I know it worked for my alligator skin!

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

My advice would be to stop using soap and to take cooler showers. Hot water will dry out your skin big time, so avoid it if your skin is already dry. Cut out the soap in the shower; exfoliate with a good brush and a home-made scrub every few days. Sounds extreme, but trust me: it works. And no, you won't stink to high heaven if you ditch the soap. I don't use soap (except for the occassional hand-washing), shampoo (I use baking soda+water as shampoo, apple cider vinegar as conditioner) or toothpaste (brush with water, sometimes use activated charcoal), and I feel great in every capacity. No more dry skin on my part. Eating BP/paleo helps too.

If you're interested, here's the recipe I use for a home-made, natural scrub. Great moisturizer and simple to make!

In a jar, combine:

1 cup brown sugar

2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

A few drops of essential oil (I use Eucalyptus, but any scent you like is fine)

Mix 'em up well. Now, when you want to use it, hop in the shower and dampen your skin. Shut off the water and then take a pinch of the scrub from the jar and rub it into the desired area (or your whole body). You should feel the grains of sugar exfoliating your skin as you rub it in. Don't rub it in too long, otherwise the sugar will start to dissolve, however! It;s harder to wash it off when it dissolves. When you're through with the scrubbing, feel free to stand awkwardly in the shower for a moment, to let the scent of the essential oil seep into your skin. And then, rinse until you don't feel any more sugar. You'll feel oily for a bit, but that oil is quickly absorbed (especially if your skin is usually dry). My skin feels great for the rest of the day after using this, and it's very easy to do. Using it every couple days should help your skin greatly. A caveat, though: Don't be an idiot and use it on the soles of your feet like I did. I about broke my neck in the shower. Not sure why I thought that would be a good idea, what with it containing copious amounts of OIL, but yeah.

Oh, and pat your skin dry when you finish a shower. Don't scrub it dry with your towel. Let your body air dry as much as possible. It keeps you from spreading your precious body oils onto a towel.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file