Inclined Bed Therapy

This is simple, easy, cheap almost free and for most people a very good idea.

You simply raise the head of your bed gradually over a week or a month to 8" above flat which makes the tilt about 5 degrees. Use old books or pieces of wood or whatever.

Benefits;

Heart rate slows approximately 10 pm

Breathing slows approx 4 to 5 pm

Snoring abates

feel warmer

legs, ankles and feet get more solid

Back gets stronger

urine is more profuse upon awakening especially in the beginning

sleep is sounder

Back problems and damage will heal quickly

MS,  as well as a multitude of other patients report good results

Kidney and liver function improves

I read about it in Nenah Silver's tome: "The Rife Handbook", an excellent book on Rife and other alternative therapies.

Another link http://www.frex.com.au/ibt.html

Here is a quote from Nenah's book PP 302;

"Some people have reported 01reversal of damage to the CNS and peripheral NS including complete spinal cord injuries and nerve damage in chronic progressive MS including damage to the optic nerve. Varicose veins, leg ulcers, oedema, arthritic conditions, lethargy, muscle wastage, (atrophy) and osteoporosis, have all responded well to the therapy.

Some respond in four weeks while others may take four months or more. An improved resistance to infection has also been observed and I am hoping that this will enable people sufering from immune deficient disorders to achieve a stronger rsistance to seasonal viruses and bacteriological infectious organisms. 253 "

I have forgotten the other things we noticed, but this was dreamed up by Andrew K Fletcher of England. His wife, a nurse, tested it out on patients.

Initially there is a period which may last for a week or two or three, in which you may or may not experience problems like headaches, but once that is over you'll see the benefits accrue.

Some people do not do well with it but most ppl do well.

We love it so much that we even bring a set of bed risers that we got at Xcess Cargo that cost about 9 Can. Dollars. Thery are only 5 inches but they come in a set of 4 so we double them up to get 7 " or so.

Comments

• extreeeeeeeemly skeptical

• extreeeeeeeemly skeptical

The key is to be open to try different things to biohack.

For me personally it works very well. I've been using it for the last 2-3 months and feel so much better on it. Never sleeping flat again. 

Start off raising your bed by one inch and slowly work up to 8. I'm still only at around 6inches at the moment - I'll eventually get to 8 when my body tells me it needs to. 

• Funnily enough I told a buddy of mine about this and he said "Oh yeah my Doctor told me about that because he complained about acid reflux" He said it worked for him.

• 8 inch is about that big 'looking down' :-D

Sounds interesting and maybe worth trying. 8 inches is quite big! ;-) Not sure what to use to raise is and keep it stable. I doubt an old book would hold steady that well.

Could alway saw off 4 inch at the foot of the bed if you want to go with it long term, then you only need to raise it 4 at the head.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• edited October 2013

"John Cann Who Has a Spinal Cord Injury Walks after 11 Years Of Paralysis on Carlton Television News"

(half way down the page)

http://www.inclinedbedtherapy.com/

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

It will help take excess pressure off the LES this is why it helps with acid reflux. Everything else I'm skeptical.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• John,

The explanations for it are just guesses but whatever the cause is, it works for most PPL and particularly for PPL with spinal injuries.

• There is a huge difference between skepticism and contempt prior to investigation. Best way to determine whether IBT is genuine or not is to test it and see for yourself.

Guesswork? This comment must also apply to the flat beds that we all sleep on. Where is the science that proves this is a safe environment for sleeping? In fact there is an enormous amount of published science stating that even short term bed rest causes rapid degeneration. Just because we have slept this way for generations does not make it any safer. Resistance to change and inability to question what is nothing more than our habitual sleep pattern is not a valid argument against sleeping on an inclined bed!    

• KirmokinKirmokin freshpotential

I went to a used book store two days ago and bought the fattest cheapest books and put them under the top of my bed to achieve about 3.8° incline. Will be seeing if this improves my sleep, acne, or whatever. I agree with Andrew, I completely resent people for attacking something without trying it first, simply because it challenges old views.

Check out my site at http://www.fresh-potential.com

• What happened? Did it work?
  • I'm interested too

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• This reminds me of a Russian medical article I read some time ago.

Can't remember the specifics, but it gave a very thorough, scientific explanation for its assertions that seemed pretty legit.

Summary; It listed inclined, upright, and sleeping on your stomach, as positions where the body achieved more optimal blood-oxygenation levels allowing for deeper, better sleep.

• KirmokinKirmokin freshpotential

Oh hey totally forgot to update, thanks katolotus. 

For me (at 3.8° incline, 6° being recommended) it has had no apparent effect. I'm only 22 however and have already improved my sleep with other measures, which might have made any effect less noticeable. I'm gonna keep it at an incline though, just in case it does in fact do something good for me :D 

Check out my site at http://www.fresh-potential.com

• I do this because I suffer from orthostatic intolerance, which began after a serious illness. While it hasn't cured my OI, it certainly does help. I believe the mechanism is increased blood volume. 

I also read somewhere that they have astronauts sleep on an incline when they return from being in space for awhile.

My personal blog : healthbydiet.net

• was searching on this topic, just found this somewhat older thread. 

I've got a hiatal hernia that was caused from a near-fatal car accident, suffered massive trauma to the chest and abdomen area (as well as broke my back in 5 places). Have been on prilosec for a couple of decades now. Only alternative is fundiplication surgery, which is basically a terrible option. Don't like being on the prilosec, but have tried every possible option I can find to get off it, but I simply have a trauma-damaged valve.

Anyway, my GI doc recommended I incline my bed. Stopped off at The Container Store and bought some 6" risers and put them under the head of our bed. Damn, felt like I was gonna slide right off the thing. Anyway, it's a whopping one night sample size so I obviously need a lot more data, but I found something interesting. I use the Sleep Cycle app and my numbers are usually in the 60s and 70s. I typically sleep about 6 hours and then wake up without an alarm.   Well I had the chance to sleep in this morning. Instead of my normal 6, I slept 8 and my sleep rating in the app was 93%. I'm not sure it's ever been that high. We'll see if that was an aberration or the start of a pattern. The chart shows that when I went into deep sleep I went much deeper than I usually go, and visited deep sleep more frequently.  Interesting.

I tried listening to Fletcher's radio show with Patrick Timpone, but had to turn it off after 15 minutes. Seriously boring. Mr Fletcher, if you're still following this thread, man, you gotta change the way you present your information. The radio show was not good. 15 minutes of talking about trees and how they process moisture, whatever. If you want to get to that later, fine, but if you want me to listen, start off the bat by telling me what benefits you believe will accrue to me from this methodology. 

So after clicking off the recording of the radio show I figured I'd just go to Fletcher's website. Apparently sleeping on an inclined bed doesn't make you better at web design. That's one of the most poorly laid out sites I've ever seen. Almost impossible to get information off it. The testimonial page is basically unreadable. Here's one piece of advice: paragraph breaks are your friend. Know them. Use them. Love them.

So, basically, I tried to do a little due diligence on this but I haven't found a readable or listenable source yet.  So I'm giving it a shot and seeing what I see. If my sleep ratings are consistently higher inclined than flat, that's good enough for me. I'll report back what I see.

• edited October 2015

Thanks Rmathes, took on board your criticisms which where very helpful.  http://inclinedbedtherapy.comNew website, new forum, new testimonials, more radio interviews etc etc

Check out also our group and page on facebook    inclined bed therapy

http://inclinedbedtherapy.com/interviews

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015

Don't think I mention it on here, but I raised my bed in Jan 15 a little and intended to raise if more if I notice nothing or anything positive. 

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/3358-sleep-hack-purchasesso-far/

With all the effort I put into my sleep, I've been sleeping really well or ages, so this is a reminder to raise the bed more for me.

So I've just ordered some bed blocks off eBay to get the bed head higher and will post here when I get and fit them. 

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-29%20at%2020.08.

Got these now, just install them tonight (29th Oct 15). Raised the bed almost twice as high as I'd done in January. So let see how it feels!

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• This is also good for helping food digest if you eat late.

• One of he best hacks I ever done, I use to wake up with mild headaches and brain fog in the morning, I always thought I just wasn't a "morning person" until I found the work of Sydney Ross Singer and brought me a wedge pillow. Changed my life!

His thoughts and research can be backed up by NASA sleep studies.

http://www.killerculture.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Revealing-Surprising-Lifestyle-Migraines-Alzheimers/dp/1930858000

• Moved my bed to the high level today after feeling nothing particularly different, but sleep pretty good. Lets see how an even higher head works.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• I had never thought about this before, but it seems like it would be something that would be worth looking into. I think that I might have to try this out. 

• I've used 2 books for a 5.5 inch raised and done this for 2 months, we noticed deeper sleep and sometimes no drowsiness but on the downside my calves were heavy and getting sitting pain. No change was seen on mt wifes varicose veins or my ibs and acid reflux. Also it has probably made my lower back pain worse and slowed down the healing from a gym injury. Lots of restliness causes you to get out of bed earlier. I think tge pseudo science used here is bogus and doubt this ibt actually has much benefit. Although the change for a short while does give a deeper sleep not so much on month 2 though.

• Thanks for sharing such great information.

• How do you think a giant redwood gets the sap all the way up to the top of the tree?

Micro differences in blood density help drive circulation of blood and lymph in conjunction with gravity. When you breathe the blood exiting your lungs is higher density because we breathe out water vapour. When you eat, nutrient go into the blood around your intestines and increases the blood density. Maybe that's why we feel tired after a big meal.

When you sleep on a perfectly horizontal bed, you impede the circulation of blood and lymph. You are more likely to have a migraine and puffy eyes. You put a strain on your heart and lungs and are more likely to die in your sleep! You impede detox during the night.

All you need is to raise the head end of the bed around 6 to 8 inches. If you have a softer mattress, you will sink into it more and are less likely to feel that you are sliding down the bed. I think a firmer mattress is more likely to make you wake and turn during the night because you have to change position to alleviate pressure concentration that are restricting circulation of blood and lymph.

The ikea beds have convex slats that make you feel like you are sliding down the bed. I find that when the slats are flat or concave, the feeling of "sliding" down the bed is reduced. Unfortunately, when you turn the convex ikea slats upside down (concave), they tend to fall through the bed, which is quite disturbing when you are trying to sleep! I don't know how concave slats work out for double beds!

• @Hadster: it made my back problems better!

• Really interesting, planning to transition into this. In the meantime trying to change into sleeping on my belly, apparently sleeping on your back supine horizontally is the worst way possible to sleep.