Hacking South Africa

I will be going to South Africa in 2-3 weeks and I will stay there at least till Christmas, if not end of february.

Any specifc advice on South Africa?

I have heard that one can live very health conscious down there so I hope I get most of the ingredients I need. (Mct Oil, etc.)

I would love to welcome you on my new page: www.soul-smoothies.com 

Comments

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

The only thing I've heard is not to stop at red lights. But I'm sure that's a terrible generalisation and some of the Saffa forum members can be more useful :-D

• Haha ThatStevenBaker that is pretty close to being true :P

Anyways where in South Africa are you going?

A South African pastor dies and is waiting in line at the Pearly Gates. Ahead of him is a guy who's dressed in sunglasses, a loud shirt, leather jacket and jeans.

St Peter addresses him, "Who are you, so that I may know whether or not to admit you into the Kingdom of Heaven?"

The guy replies, "I'm Sipho Mlangeni, taxi driver, from Soweto, South Africa, Sir." St Peter consults his list. He smiles and says to the taxi driver, "Take this silken robe and golden staff and enter the Kingdom of Heaven."

Now it's the minister's turn. He stands erect and booms out, "I am the Right Reverend Joseph Snow, pastor of Saint Mary's for the last 43 years."

St Peter consults his list. He says to the minister, "Take this cotton robe and wooden staff and enter the Kingdom of Heaven."

"Just a minute," says the minister. "That man was a taxi driver and he gets a silken robe and golden staff. How can this be?"

"Up here, we work by results," explains St Peter. "While you preached, people slept; while he drove, people prayed."

• Okay let me be more specific: I am going to Cape Town to work as a model probably from mid-October till December or even February. I have heard that the two agencies I am considering with are in nice areas: Green Point and Sea Point area, then also in Camps Bay.

It would be nice to meet some Bulletproof people living in South Africa :)

I would also appreciate information on flight tickets as they have gotten quite expensive already (960 € on checkfelix for the cheapest flight). I am flying from Vienna. 

• I'm in Cape Town too and Green Point / Sea Point is definitely an awesome place to be, Caps Bay is very good too - they are all very upper market and modern locations. They have an amazing promenade along the sea for running and outdoor workouts and there is an outdoor gym there too. Pretty close to the CBD and where more of the popular local hotspots are. 

In terms of flight tickets I can't really advise. What I can say though is buy a lock for your baggage zips. Things have a high tendency to go "missing" from bags at the airports here unfortunately.

• thanks for your advice Geek Gone Strong ;

Concerning BP lifestyle: Can I get everything there easily and at an equally good price like in Europe?

For example in Bangkok it was impossible to get MCT oil. 

• Most people visiting here comment on how cheap everything is. We don't really have any wholefood / trader joe shops, but finding your nearest Woolworths will probably be your best bet to get decent quality meat and fruit/vegetables. 

I haven't found any MCT oil sold in shops here yet unfortunately, and only a few dubious quality ones online. We do have KerryGold though thankfully haha.

• Ok so in other words I should bring my MCT oil.

Does anybody know how many liters I can bring in my suitcase? 2 Liters should be fine I guess. 

Do you think that meat in the supermarket in South Africa is grass-fed?

• edited October 2013

No, most of the meat isn't grassfed. Although Woolworths is organic and free-range but I do believe that it is still grass-finished. With that said, much of the food here is actually better quality than what you would find in typical U.S. supermarkets because there are so many organic farms and local-source communities around here supplying the shops. South Africa is very much an agricultural country rather than industrial so more people care and are aware about what they eat.

There are several food markets in Cape Town that you can go to and get proper grass-fed high-quality meat such as http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g312659-d1746285-Reviews-Old_Biscuit_Mill-Cape_Town_Central_Western_Cape.html

• Thank you so much!

Is it truely necessary to have at least 3 hours for changing flight from Johannesburg to Cape Town? 

The cheaper flight possibility is with only 2h20min time window between the flights. 

• It's a risk you take. If it is enormously cheaper then I would say take the cheaper flight, if it isn't a huge difference then maybe it's not worth it. 

• Thanks, I took the safe option now.

I am planning to check in 2 liters of MCT oil and 2-3 bulletproof coffee packs in my luggage. Hope there wont be a problem

• I have a Bulletproof friend who travels to South Africa almost every other month. He told me as long as he has some charcoal and coconut oil he's good to go. He gets some incredible African coffee as well. 

MrHerget.com

Instagram: @MrHerget

Twitter: @MrHerget

Email: [email protected]

• Coconut oil should be easy to buy down there I figure. 

• edited October 2013

Dont tell me they have no unsalted Kerrygold Butter here? I have been to a few supermarkets and could only find the salted version.

Which butter are you using for bulletproof coffee?

• edited October 2013

And the certified lfree range lamb meat I found at Checkers is suspiciously light in color, but I give it a try :D

I will order my meat here:

http://www.foodshed.co.za/meats-poultry-seafood/beef

Cant get any cheaper than that ;)