Us Gov Shutdown?

Okay I haven't read much current event stuff lately, but was very aware there was another 'shutdown scare', and of course paid it no mind til a minute ago when I see a big red banner on pubmed saying

"due to the lapse in government funding, PubMed is being maintained with minimal staffing.  Information will be updated to the extent possible, and the agency will attempt to respond to urgent operational inquiries.    Updates regarding government operating status and resumption of normal operations can be found at http://www.usa.gov."

WTF??  Anyone care to give a quick summary to someone too apathetic to google this?  Cannot stomach wading through that right now :/

Comments

• edited October 2013

Some republican congressmen don't want Obamacare, so because of that they have decided not to budget spending for the now current fiscal year (which started today in the USA). Because spending hasn't been allocated, the government has to send all non essential government personnel from all non essential agencies home, as spending tax payer money without a congressional appropriation bill is a felony.

Some republicans want Obamacare modified, defunded, or pushed back for a year, before they sign off on the budget. The dems won't budge, and either will these republicans.

I don't like Obamacare, and so I hope the dems cave, but it's not likely. Instead they will continue to blame the republicans, even though both sides can end this by giving in to the other sides demands. To be fair, the spending bill and Obamacare aren't related, and the republicans would just be doing their job by signing the spending bill.

Now we wait.

Here's a list of affected government agencies: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/29/us-government-shutdown-services-affected

• yeah i'm not for obamacare either, the med system in this country is disgusting and there are ways to fix it; obamacare is not one of them.  

So this really is repub/democratic quarrelling and not 'something happened' at least (hmmmm, unsure which would be better, actually... I weep for this country sometimes, I mean we're shutting down services now, when just a week or two ago everyone was talking about how they don't want us to begin a new bombing campaign.  damnit.)

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭

What made America great in the beginning was the total freedom its citizens were able to enjoy. That is inversely proportional to the size of the Government, which in the beginning was extremely tiny. Now, its the total opposite. A huge Government and less freedom by the day. I'm all for some services being shut down, because that will lower spending and eventually lower the tax requirement. Its not good though, if that money gets spent on more wars.

• It's great, the only downside is they will probably re-open it.

I think everyone needs to remember the fighting is all Kabuki theatre, they all go out afterwards and have drinks and do some lines of coke with each other.

It's like pro wrestling, throw each other through some tables, jump off ladders, hang out in the green room later. IT'S FAKE.

It shut down because they wanted it to shut down. These deals and everything else are just posturing. How many years have they had to try and defund ACA, why suddenly is it do or die?

The real question everyone needs to ask, why this script, and why now?

October surprise?

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭

Really good point. As stupid as we all know politicians are, do people really think they'd be this unprofessional? Its all part of the plan.

Politics is a giant game of chess. You might think "Oh that bishop moved over there. Ummmm, nope, no threat to me" then a few moves later, that bishop was a key part of getting you in checkmate.

Same in politics. "Oh what's this law change? Hmm, seems a bit of a waste of time to me, can't see anything wrong with it." Then a few months later, a new piece of legislation is introduced, and that seemingly waste of time law change was instrumental in getting it to go through.

We pay these people to do this to us all day long!

• edited October 2013

I think everyone needs to remember the fighting is all Kabuki theatre,

LOL, i've used that word several times this past week in relation to this shit ;P

they all go out afterwards and have drinks and do some lines of coke with each other.

It's like pro wrestling, throw each other through some tables, jump off ladders, hang out in the green room later. IT'S FAKE.

It shut down because they wanted it to shut down. These deals and everything else are just posturing. How many years have they had to try and defund ACA, why suddenly is it do or die?

silly. that's naive paranoia man, these people are not] in league with each other. this is a very troubled system, not a conspiracy (this applies to everything, from the shutdown to prism hubbub); while there's clearly malicious intent on the part of some, these problems are bloat and mission creep, not intentional wrongings the way ppl try to portray it.

The real question everyone needs to ask, why this script, and why now?

October surprise?

----
    plz specify what you mean, i hate ambiguity of that sort. is this a 'fema camps', 'recent stockpiling of hollowpoints' thing? (i'm not ready to call bullshit on that, mind you, it's just all i can fathom you mean by that. curious, but infowars is probably the only place i'd find much and a couple visits there are all i care for in this lifetime..)

• LOL, i've used that word several times this past week in relation to this shit ;P

silly. that's naive paranoia man, these people are not] in league with each other. this is a very troubled system, not a conspiracy (this applies to everything, from the shutdown to prism hubbub); while there's clearly malicious intent on the part of some, these problems are bloat and mission creep, not intentional wrongings the way ppl try to portray it.

Of course it is. And of course it's a "CONSPIRACY" (omg, that word).

con·spir·a·cy

kənˈspirəsē/

noun

noun: conspiracy; plural noun: conspiracies

a secret plan by a group (two or more people) to do something unlawful or harmful.

Obviously not everyone apart of congress or the senate is apart of this, but the people in power are playing the game in the direction they want it to go. This is a calculated move.

Here's an excerpt -

America’s Two-Party System Is Actually A One-Party System

If you do not yet understand that the elite of the Republican Party and the Democratic Party share the same foundational philosophy of globalism, then you will NEVER understand why our government does what it does. Public battles of words and legislation are nothing but rhetorical cinema. Ultimately, the goals of neocons and neolibs revolve around the centralization of power. All legislation is used either to further centralization or as a smokescreen to confuse the public while centralization is taking place. When has the leadership of either party, for instance, ever demanded a full audit of the Federal Reserve? When has the leadership of either party ever attempted to dismantle the Patriot Act or the despotic provisions of the National Defense Authorization Act or the President’s openly admitted assassination list? They may seem to disagree violently at times, but do not be fooled. The disagreement is likely just another means to gain more dominance.

Another example would be the Republican and Democrat presidential debates. Did you know they are 100 percent staged, and they have contracts and agreements they sign beforehand saying they won't go off script?

Why do you think Ron Paul was so dangerous to the establishment, he wasn't part of the game.

----

plz specify what you mean, i hate ambiguity of that sort. is this a 'fema camps', 'recent stockpiling of hollowpoints' thing? (i'm not ready to call bullshit on that, mind you, it's just all i can fathom you mean by that. curious, but infowars is probably the only place i'd find much and a couple visits there are all i care for in this lifetime..)

There's just a lot of stuff going on in October that seems suspicious, every major "terrorist attack" happened during the same time as a similar drill was taking place.

Everyone by now should realize the dollar is going to die, maybe this is a smoke screen to cover up the torment until its finally dead.

Either that or this is all a distraction, and they'll reach a last minute deal and everything will be OK for 6 weeks before this happens again, which will be a nice cover for Benghazi, fast & furious, IRS scandals, Obamacare not working. etc..

Oh yeah what happened to Syria, I thought they were in imminent need of being saved?

• I arrived in Washington DC on September 30.  On October 1 I set out to see what I've been missing all these years.  Looks like I am going to miss them for a few more years.  I drove 1700 miles one way (give or take a few) to see this.  I stood close by while the democrats spewed their vile rhetoric and then ran around to the west side to try and hear the republicans but they did not hold a conference everyone could hear.  I left DC very disgusted to say the least.  The Obama administration has had three years, 3, to get this program in place.  It is a joke! A disaster!  It should have been delayed.  The only comment he came up with was, "I didn't know".  BS.  The only significant legislation this man has ever come up with and look at the results.  Washington is a Goat Roping Arena!