Any Females Who Just Started Or Have Been Here For Awhile

Comments

• Hi all :) just noticed this forum and figured I'd post with my story. I've spent the last 7 years of my life obsessing about food, diet, nutrition, health, etc. and researching it semi-compulsively. While doing research for a documentary I'm producing on this subject, I stumbled across this website. I'd heard of BPC, but never looked into it with any sort of seriousness. I just graduated from undergrad and am sort of meandering around while my boyfriend earns his PhD and I decide what to do with my life, so I figure now is as good a time as ever (particularly now that I can document the process through my film) to give BP a shot. Dave seems to have found an answer I've been searching for since almost a decade ago; and since I don't plan on having a spare $300,000 anytime soon, I'm going to trust his research and give it a shot!

I started BPC a week ago and it's changed my life. It does wonders for my ADHD, as I decided not to medicate with traditional adderall, vyvanse, concerta etc. (they mess with my appetite; not great for recovering from an eating disorder). I'm hoping to interview Dave for the documentary, actually, but it's been a trouble getting in touch with his team. 

Not sure if anyone is still reading this forum anyway, but I figured I'd post just in case. Hope you are all doing well :)

• I've been BP for 8 weeks now.  The first couple of weeks were tough but it was well worth it.  This is the best program for any kind of food or diet compulsions. 

• I started the bulletproof IF about 4 weeks ago. I'm 5' tall and about 105 and 41 years old. Not looking to lose weight, just inches as I thickened up a bit after letting loose at Disney a couple months ago. I'm a Zumba fitness instructor and love kettlebells, but slacked off on the bells the past couple of months.

Here's my results thus far: I feel great (other than 3 days of headaches that started this week and not sleeping well almost the entire 4 weeks). I have 1-2 cups of bulletproof coffee with kerrygold and mct in the am. Though I am seeing some change in my abs (I have added 3 sets of KB swings in 2-3 days a week), my thighs are still where my mass is.

The bummer is that I stuck with the 4HB for 1 1/2 years with great results! I lost 6 % body fat in 6 weeks with one cheat day a week (often consisting of 2 cheat meals and yes they were usually gluten heavy). I felt a little crummy for 2-3 days after, was bloated for that same time, but then was always smaller about the 4th day. It was AWESOME, but hated spending half of each week being bloated.

Went off the rails at Disney and came across Dave and saturated myself in reading his info and listening to his podcasts. Loved the idea, made total sense. Totally wondered how eating gluten once a week didn't stay with me at least on some cellular level. I have to say even though I LOVE not eating until 2...it's not for me. My body just didn't respond. I've been gluten free (aside from my cheat days for the past year and a half) for 5 years. I've been a coconut oil and organic butter fanatic so feel I was already fat adapted. But my thighs have either gotten bigger or not changed at all on this. So after 4 weeks, I shifted gears and decided to eat when I want (bulletproof) instead of fasting. This is my first week of that so I'll report back how that works for me. I've done 1-2 carb re-feeds each week, also. If I can figure out how to upload a picture on here from my phone, I'll show the 6 weeks before an after starting the 4HB if anyone is interested. 

Another bulletproof benefit is that I had almost no cramping and no breakouts during my cycle...unheard of!!! Sooo...all this to say that I am experimenting along the way as I love the whole bulletproof idea. Just not getting the same results as with 4HB ;-(

• Hello,

New to BP, just started the RFLP on December 1, so just coming up on my second refeed day.  I am 43 years old, very active (professional ski instructor in winters- avid backpacker summers), and almost desperate to lose the weight I packed on after a really bad auto wreck, immune system crash and subsequent "recovery" 4 years ago.  I have a total of 94 lbs to lose (goal weight 134 lbs).  Yup.  You wouldn't necessarily guess that to look at me as I have a lot of muscle, however, I am just sick of the weight getting in the way of my athletic performance.  I have decided to go on the BPRFLP because my immune system is (FINALLY) stable and I have danced with losing then regaining 30 lbs over and over again, never really progressing.  Dave's research makes sense to me and I now recognize my overall relationship with alcohol, sprouted grains and fruits as the main blocks to priming my metabolism.

I am strictly adhering to the protocol and supplements as outlined by Dave here: http://www.bulletproofexec.com/rapid-fat-loss-protocol/

I have added a tsp of stevia and 2 tbsp BP cocoa powder to the BP coffee and have to melt the tbsp of butter at night into a plain chamomile tea, as I just can't eat butter straight up without gagging.

Because I went cold turkey without the BP supplies, just from regular diet to store bought coffee and coconut oil, first week SUCKED -headaches, nausea, dizziness, weakness, rapid pulse upon moving, excessive fatigue etc.   Then my BP order came in and I couldn't believe the difference MCT oil and the the BP coffee made!  Energy immediately stabilized and no more nausea!  I have been able to work this past week just fine with only small periods of fatigue (mostly at night after a long day). Happy to report NO FOOD CRAVINGS/HUNGER throughout this entire period.  GREAT.

First week I lost 6.6 lbs (amazing but I know mostly water weight).  Then on the 1st refeed day I ate 3 sweet potatotes, 2 cups organic sushi rice, 2 eggs, 8 ounces grass fed sirloin, 4 ounces wild salmon, 1 cup steamed spinach and 1 artichoke over 3 meals.  I also had four cups BP coffee, as I usually do daily throughout week.     I am skeptical that I can eat like this on the refeed day and encourage weight loss overall, but decided to go for it per the protocol, track my results and reserve judgement until I had data to analyze. So, not surprisingly, I gained 6.8 lbs.  I have lost 6 lbs since then, and most likely will be down another lb by tomorrow, which is my second refeed day.  So,  essentially I have lost as much as I gained in the refeed.  I am not discouraged by this as I understand my body is adjusting, and am willing to stick out another 5 weeks on this protocol to thoroughly test it, then transition to a BP diet with IF intervals.  If I find that my weight gain/loss is similar next week then I am cutting down the caloric intake overall of refeed day- most likely by half.  

I also have not exercised other than a few miles of light walking during this time, which I plan on changing to daily walking 3-4miles and Body by Science lifting protocol 3-4x/week over the next 2 weeks.

Just wondering if anyone has any further suggestions or recommendations for me?  

Thanks

• Hey Anna-

Sorry to hear about the wreck. Don't worry about the weight gain after the refeed. It's just water and goes away after 2-3 days. It screws with your mind a bit, but I promise it's not your body backsliding. As active as you are, and as a woman, you need to do that refeed. Keep at it. The only way out is through!

Best of luck!

Hello,

New to BP, just started the RFLP on December 1, so just coming up on my second refeed day.  I am 43 years old, very active (professional ski instructor in winters- avid backpacker summers), and almost desperate to lose the weight I packed on after a really bad auto wreck, immune system crash and subsequent "recovery" 4 years ago.  I have a total of 94 lbs to lose (goal weight 134 lbs).  Yup.  You wouldn't necessarily guess that to look at me as I have a lot of muscle, however, I am just sick of the weight getting in the way of my athletic performance.  I have decided to go on the BPRFLP because my immune system is (FINALLY) stable and I have danced with losing then regaining 30 lbs over and over again, never really progressing.  Dave's research makes sense to me and I now recognize my overall relationship with alcohol, sprouted grains and fruits as the main blocks to priming my metabolism.

I am strictly adhering to the protocol and supplements as outlined by Dave here: http://www.bulletproofexec.com/rapid-fat-loss-protocol/

I have added a tsp of stevia and 2 tbsp BP cocoa powder to the BP coffee and have to melt the tbsp of butter at night into a plain chamomile tea, as I just can't eat butter straight up without gagging.

Because I went cold turkey without the BP supplies, just from regular diet to store bought coffee and coconut oil, first week SUCKED -headaches, nausea, dizziness, weakness, rapid pulse upon moving, excessive fatigue etc.   Then my BP order came in and I couldn't believe the difference MCT oil and the the BP coffee made!  Energy immediately stabilized and no more nausea!  I have been able to work this past week just fine with only small periods of fatigue (mostly at night after a long day). Happy to report NO FOOD CRAVINGS/HUNGER throughout this entire period.  GREAT.

First week I lost 6.6 lbs (amazing but I know mostly water weight).  Then on the 1st refeed day I ate 3 sweet potatotes, 2 cups organic sushi rice, 2 eggs, 8 ounces grass fed sirloin, 4 ounces wild salmon, 1 cup steamed spinach and 1 artichoke over 3 meals.  I also had four cups BP coffee, as I usually do daily throughout week.     I am skeptical that I can eat like this on the refeed day and encourage weight loss overall, but decided to go for it per the protocol, track my results and reserve judgement until I had data to analyze. So, not surprisingly, I gained 6.8 lbs.  I have lost 6 lbs since then, and most likely will be down another lb by tomorrow, which is my second refeed day.  So,  essentially I have lost as much as I gained in the refeed.  I am not discouraged by this as I understand my body is adjusting, and am willing to stick out another 5 weeks on this protocol to thoroughly test it, then transition to a BP diet with IF intervals.  If I find that my weight gain/loss is similar next week then I am cutting down the caloric intake overall of refeed day- most likely by half.  

I also have not exercised other than a few miles of light walking during this time, which I plan on changing to daily walking 3-4miles and Body by Science lifting protocol 3-4x/week over the next 2 weeks.

Just wondering if anyone has any further suggestions or recommendations for me?  

Thanks

No Fail Fat Burning for Women available on Amazon now!

Find out how I hacked my way to health, conquered PCOS, endometriosis, and lost 15% bodyfat in my forties.

• Thanks Scrambling for the feedback- hopefully this next week my weight loss will be more than my reefed weight gain!  Your detailed info in your posts has been really helpful and inspiring!  I don't give up easily and will keep on tracking my data for several weeks before modifying anything.  I am determined to restore myself to full balance and vitality-  I am curious to see how I do longterm with this diet.... and hopefully one day my feedback will help another woman in her 40s with a complicated immune system find solutions for her health journey also.

• On your refeed day, you should add more butter and reduce your serving size of rice and potatoes slightly.  I'd recommend not weighing after your refeed day and weigh only twice a week at most.  Trust that your body will do the right thing regardless of numbers.  Interestingly, my weight loss has been very easy to maintain and I'm only 5lbs to my goal.  This program has really "relaxed" any obsessions that I had with food previously.  Definitely got rid of calorie counting. 

• Thanks, I found that I just didn't have the appetite for as much food during yesterday's re feed as the first one. I need more data to understand how my body is truly responding, so I will be sticking with the rfl protocol for 6 more weeks then moving to the BP plan with occasional IF while I am ski instructing full time in Utah for 3 months. Keeping my fingers crossed that my overall weight loss per week improves- first 2 weeks have averaged 2.8lbs/week- not bad but I can't train as much as I wish on this protocol.
  • Hey all, update: I got The Swing book and have been doing the kettle-bell exercises for the past two weeks. Love it! I feel stronger already and it really is a great workout in a half-hour period of time--sweat and heavy breathing involved (Can't help myself: That's what she said!). I haven't seen any weight loss results from the exercises yet, but I'm confident that the weight loss will come as I continue exercises every other day. I've added collagen to my diet on the days I exercise. Other good news, my wedding band is getting looser by the day! :-P

• Hello all, I could really use some help here and seems you may be capable. Ive posted a thread under (New to BPD and experiencing headaches, nausea and fatigue) in this forum. If you have any input please add to the ongoing thread. Below is the original post and there has been some replies since posted yesterday:

Ive been Bulletproof for several months now and enjoy most of the amazing benefits Dave and the bulletproof team speak of. Ive benefited so greatly that ive turned my Girlfriend onto this diet. After the first couple days she felt great. She is two weeks in and has been experiencing headaches daily, which progressed to nausea and fatigue, and bloated until finally today she was too sick to go to work. early am 5:30 a.m. is when she feels worst. My initial guess was she was detoxing heavy metals, gluten or sugar withdraw, maybe switching into ketosis from carb burning metabolism. Please help me!

Last weeks diet:

Breakfast - Bulletproof Chai tea in the morning (organic chai tea w/ butter and coconut oil)

Lunch - steamed kale, asparagus, broccoli and leek with either grassfed steak or uncured no nitrate no hormone bacon 

After lunch one packet "Green Vibrance" mixed in water

Dinner - Baked purple organic sweet potato with butter cinnamon and xylitol

Last weekend (cheated on some french toast and mexican food) some alcohol. 

This weeks diet:

Breakfast - Same as above

Lunch - Same as above

After lunch one packet "Green Vibrance" mixed in water

Dinner - White Rice (jasmine)

Supplementation: D3, Biotin

Snacking: dark chocolate, macadamia nuts, coconut water all natural

***We cook all the meals on sunday night place them in the freezer (pyrex) and then she heats the lunch and dinner up at work.  It should be known that she was drinking and eating fast food not on any particular schedule (very little caloric intake) prior to starting bulletproof. 

She is 27 years old. 115 lbs slim build.

Thanks for the help. 

• edited December 2013

I'm 63 years old, 5'6" tall and weighed 220 when I began the BulletProof diet for weight loss and focus (the one that includes a 16hr IF and an 8 hour feeding schedule.  I estimate that I have about 90 lbs to let go of in order to feel optimal so I was hoping for some weight loss.  I have just completed my first 5 weeks on the protocol.  I've enjoyed it and had no difficulty staying on it... I haven't lost any weight at all, however.

I've been gluten free for about 10 years now, however I did not realize that even foods that contain 'Gluten Free' labels can (and do) legally contain 20/1,000,000 part gluten.  This is enough to trigger the autoimmune system.  I had spent the last 6 months with severe IBS which left me unable to leave the house most days, as my severe symptoms required that I be within 10 steps of a toilet at all times.  I heard Dave Asprey speak at the online Gluten Free Summit and realized that my diet did not take into account mycotoxins.  When I finished the conference I knew I needed to go to a whole new level of gluten free and that I also needed to eat a mycotoxin and lectin free diet.  So when I began the BulletProof diet 5 weeks ago I was super motivated.

I haven't cheated even a little bit on this diet and have only eaten foods in the 'green'.  I have also been taking every supplement he recommends.  However I was using a liposomal glutathione which was not the BulletProof brand.  I am going to change that in the future.

What I love the most is that my IBS is totally corrected.  I am very sad that I have lost 0 weight.  I just got the results of the base blood panel Dave recommends from https://wwws.wellnessfx.com.  It shows extreme issues with my thyroid.  On the one hand I assume I may have had these before going on the BulletProof diet.  On the other hand, it seems the BulletProof diet I am on had been at cause for at least part of this issue.  I say this because since beginning the diet 5 weeks ago my skin has gone from naturally smooth and perfectly moist ..... to dry, painful, and papery.  In addition to my tight, dry, crepe paper skin I also now have dry brittle hair which was not the case before going BulletProof.

I have spent some time researching online about the effect of the Paleo diet on women and am now informed that most women are in trouble on the BulletProof IF diet if they do not add additional carbs.  I could find nothing at all about post-menopausal women.   I guess I am now going in search of a doctor who can help me balance my whacked out thyroid after I get the results of a more detailed thyroid panel blood test.  Sigh

• Wow...this is not too encouraging. Are there any females out there who have actually lost weight on this? Does anyone add collagen to their BR coffee in the morning? Is that necessary for females, or only on work out days?  

• I am starting 2 weeks of the fast fat loss protocol and will have 2 weeks of just general low-carb/high fat to balance it out. I would probably extend the protocol if I weren't breastfeeding my boy still (he's a toddler, so doesn't feed often but I am wary of doing too much detoxing while BF'ing him). I find I can fast pretty easily - or, well, I don't struggle with it for the first few days. I have done ketogenic diets in the past frequently enough I think to be able to transitional well to burning fat for fuel without the flu-like symptoms being so strong in the beginning.

I am not drinking BP coffee, however, as I am not a fan of coffee at all. Instead I will be using a green tea powder extract in a morning shake along with MCT oil, butter and L-Cysteine powder. 

This protocol is different to my usual fat fast in that I will be taking more supplements than I usually do, but I expect this will have better results than going without them as I do usually feel fatigued on a fast and am prone to sickness and cravings after a few weeks of fasting. So, hopefully the supplementation will help with that.

Oh and just FYI I am a 23-year-old female. I am not sure what effect this kind of diet has on menopausal women, but I think they do have a harder time losing weight in general. I'm sure most younger women will lose weight more easily with any diet.

• Oh and also, I noticed a post above complaining about headaches. From years of doing ketogenic/low-carb diets I have found that when headaches occur, increasing salt intake helps a lot. But make sure it is not table salt (ofc). Whenever I had headaches, I would drink more salted water and it usually helped. Headaches aren't much of a problem now due to this knowledge. But perhaps different people respond differently to ketosis? 

• Thanks Let_Me_Atom about the ketosis and salt tip. I have noticed headaches and thought I just needed to eat more carbs to avoid them. Just curious about your weight loss experience using ketosis, was it successful?